Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammocks - any back soreness?

Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready for a couple years of hiking. I'm an experienced camper but have always used tarps or tents before. I've never used a hammock, but I'm really tempted to.

The only reservation I have left is back pain. I've napped in casual hammocks before on vacation and within an hour or two my back and neck are sore. have any of you had these problems with backpacking hammocks?

Any input appreciated.

Re: Hammocks - any back soreness?

I can't say I've ever had any back problems (touches nearest wood) but I will say hammocks are really comfy if you lay properly, that is on the diagonal and as flat as possible. Obviously you do get a slight curve no matter how flat you try to lay so whether that would be a bad thing for you I don't know.

I think you hit the nail on the head in suggesting to try one, even if it's just for half an hour to see how you get on.
    DO NOT be found in a camping tents while being out. Just walk,run,fly in the hug of nature.:D

Comment

If you got sore when you napped in one, you'll get the same in any of the camping hammocks. I'd suggest, not paying the money if there's even the slightest doubt in comfort. BTW, hammock systems end up just as heavy as backpacking tents, so they don't really save you any weight. I now use a GoLite SL 1 (one person) tarp tent with bug screen. The whole thing weighs in at 2 lbs 1 oz according to my postal scale. And, it uses your trekking poles as tent poles (which I always have anyway).
      2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Thanks for the tip, HogSnapper! I've tried sleeping once in a friend's hammock, but only got to get an hour's worth of sleep before my lower back started to really hurt. I'm thinking it's partly because of a nasty injury I suffered back in college. Hopefully, it would solve the lower back pain.

Comment

Working...
        X