Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scarp 1 Tent by tarptent - Any Comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scarp 1 Tent by tarptent - Any Comments?

Hey, my brother has been backpacking with me for the last few years and we've always just doubled up in my timberline 2 if we werent sleeping outside. Now he's looking at getting this Scarp 1 from tarptent. Link Below. I've never heard of tarptent before. Has anyone used one of these tarptents before? I've read some good reviews on them but am not sold on anything I haven't experienced.

Link:
    http://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html
    Nights Outside in 2012: 4

Re: Scarp 1 Tent by tarptent - Any Comments?

After looking at both...I'd rather have the bathtub floor over a bugnet floor...for one, durability, that bugnet floor is going to snag on everything. And two, if you get a hard down-poor and the ground can't absorb the water fast enough...you better hope your sleeping pad will float you. I like free standing tents, such as Big Agnes, MSR, Kelty...etc. They may be heavier, but they all have sewn in bathtub floors, they're all free standing, giving you the ability after you have it set-up, you can move it, if you don't like where you've set it up. Plus, before I pack it up, I can lift up the whole main body of the tent, poles still in place, with the door open and shake out all the leaves and dirt that I may have tracked in.
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Sorry, but for that price, I'd rather buy a Big Agnes UL series two man tent. The price seems to add up as you go with the Zpack tents. You pay for the tent, then you pay again for the floor, than you pay again to have the seams taped, than you pay for the stakes...and on and on.

Robert.R, The StratoSpire 2 is about the same price as the Scarp 1. I'd rather have the StraroSpire 2. Give yourself more room. But again, I'd rather have a free standing tent.

Comment

I have a Squall 2 which is awesome. I love it, super easy to set-up, stable and dry in wind and rain, close to the elements and bigger and lighter than the Scarp 1. If you want the Scarp 1 for its 4 seasonness then I would probably be looking at the more traditional manufacturers. For lightweight, compact travel you cant go wrong. I am always cautious with the material but have had no reason to be so, no tears or holes so cant complain. Since buying my Squall I have started using trekking poles which again is great and constantly amazes me how I walked, took photos, used a tent etc etc without them.
        Total night under canvas 2012: 22

Comment

busere, hogsnapper, and matee thanks for the rec's and info. After looking around and considering what you guys are saying, I'm thinking about the double rainbow, freestanding with a few trekking poles, double vesti / doors, complete bug nets, 39 ounces. We do alot of winter camping and have been caught in a few bad storms. Hopefully this will keep us pretty safe in our Iowa winters.
          Nights Outside in 2012: 4

Comment

Great choice! Happy Trails, Brother!

Comment

Look forward to the review of the tent and hope have great trips.
              I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Comment

Working...
              X