Poll...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll...

What item would you regret the most forgetting, if you didn't have it in the back country?
    Knife
    65.22%
    Toilet Paper
    13.04%
    Tent foot print
    0.00%
    Line for hanging a bear bag
    4.35%
    Tooth Brush
    4.35%
    Sleeping Pad
    4.35%
    Spork
    0.00%
    Stove Fuel
    0.00%
    Extra Socks
    0.00%
    Coffee
    8.70%
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Re: Poll...

Tough call between knife and TP, but push comes to shove and I'd need the knife more. Though unpleasant, I've had to use natural materials on the backside before. There's no easy substitute for a good knife.

Comment

With my back, a good sleeping pad or air matress is a must. I always carry a pocketknife, and have a fixed blade knife in all vehicles - that would be Number Two item IF I didn't have it.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I'd have to say a knife. I would regret leaving it if I were just going into town. I use my knife I would say at least once an hour every day.

WT
        "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Originally posted by kjmillig View Post
          Tough call between knife and TP, but push comes to shove and I'd need the knife more. Though unpleasant, I've had to use natural materials on the backside before. There's no easy substitute for a good knife.
          You know, toilet paper is a fairly new product - barely 100 years old in the USA and not that widely used in the early years. In many countries today, toilet paper isn't common at all. In developed Asia it is an even newer phenomenon. Korea, for example, didn't even start making toilet paper until the 1970's.

So... what do other cultures use? In some cultures, of course, washing with water is the common practice and this is the most common practice in Muslim countries; the Middle East, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc. Frankly, washing makes the use of toilet paper seem pretty crude.

Other cultures I have visited, however use.... sticks! Yikes! Yup, not leaves, not toads, STICKS. One surface is cut flat to produce something of a scraper. I think you get the rest of it.

So if you have a knife, you also have hygienic comfort at your disposal without toilet paper.

Comment

Not sure that I could attempt to use a stick.... all we have around here are mesquite and yucca. Could hurt just a bit.
            "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

I've ran out of TP it sucked, but being it was summer, I just took a swim in the lake, did my business while swimming...

Comment

A knife is an over-rated piece of equiment IMO. Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "Backcountry". A razor blade will do a lot of camp chores for a lot less weight. If you are not carrying stove fuel, then yeah, a real knife would come in handy.
                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Last edited by Irate Mormon; 08-08-2013, 03:12 PM. Reason: More info needed

Comment

TP alternatives, rated on BPL. Read the article here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...l#.UgQJCW3F_pw

Comment

You can find or make a substitute in the woods for everything on your list but the most time consuming to make would be a cutting tool. Cordage is the second most time consuming item to make a substitute for but you didn't list that or at least you phrased it in a way that folks didn't pick it because it was limited to a bear bag line. Compass would be in the top five for sure but you left that out too. bottom line is that it's all about time. the most important items you bring are the ones that save you the most time over having to build it from scratch. TP got a high rating but this is probably cuz people don't really know how to find good substitutes in the bush.

The one item you would regret most if you didn't have it AND you got into trouble in the backcountry? That's not on your list either. It's a waterproof, solar powered, GPS enabled satellite telephone. Just think Tom Hanks in Cast Away.

Comment

Guitar wasn't on the list either :-(

Comment

Working...
                        X