Sleeping Pad Preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping Pad Preference

Hey, I looked around the threads and didn't find a good thread that talked about sleeping pads. I read threads covering the other big 4 (tents, packs, sleeping bags) nothing on sleeping pads though. I'm new here. I've been reading different posts here for the last couple of weeks. I really enjoy reading about other people like me. I'm a big backpacker. I spent the last few years in the Army, i still have an old sleeping pad I've been using. not the new self inflating ones, the old 1/2 inch foam with the tie straps pre-sewn on. It's better than nothing. When we switched over, they issued us new ones and I kept my old one and used it as my camping sleeping pad, well I've been thinking its time to upgrade. I've looked around been undecided. What sleeping pad do you use?
    Nights Outside in 2012: 4

Re: Sleeping Pad Preference

Three things to think about when buying a new pad:

1. How much comfort do you want?
    2. What tempratures will you be backpacking in?
    3. How much weight do you want to add to your total pack weight?

Comfort is up to you. The higher the R-Level, the more it insulates you from the ground, and normaly the higher the comfort level or R-Level, the heavier the pad. So, if you'll be out in the winter, you'll want a higher R-level. Other than that...not sure. I have a Therm-O-Light, Scout...it's kind of mid-range in all three areas. Hope that helps...and I'm sure others will fill the gaps.
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

I use a 2" pad from REI with my Big Agnus bag so I never roll off it. I use it three seasons(SSF)
      JohnJohn
      ---------
      Forum Admin

Comment

I don't know which brands or models I have, but I started with one of those self-inflating ones. I kept sliding off of it. No matter how much or how little I inflated it. I hated it. Took me over a year, but finally tried something else - I don't know the name. It is not inflatable, it looks like an egg crate type of design. I got it at REI. I love it. I don't slide off it.
        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Thank you, everybody for all the rec's and to busere for explaining the r-rating. i was looking at some of the stuff from exped, reading reviews. Leaning towards a downmat 7. I lead a local boyscout troop out every few months on their monthly camping trip. I assume it will be warm enough for our midwest winters. Has anyone used the exped downmat in the summer? If I could use the same pad for all months that would save me a few bucks.
          Nights Outside in 2012: 4

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
            I don't know which brands or models I have, but I started with one of those self-inflating ones. I kept sliding off of it...
            Glitter, I was just reading an artical in Backpacker Magazine, "Secret from a Pro" and they discussed that very issue. They're saying to apply small dots of "Seam Grip" to both sides of you sleeping pad. It would be small rubber dots all over your sleeping pad...not a bad idea. Better that replacing a good sleeping pad. (April 2012 Issue of Backpacker)

BTW...it's the Editer's Choice Awards 2012 (Gear Guide) issue...so, if you're a gear junky like me, you might want to pick it up.
            2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
              Glitter, I was just reading an artical in Backpacker Magazine, "Secret from a Pro" and they discussed that very issue. They're saying to apply small dots of "Seam Grip" to both sides of you sleeping pad. It would be small rubber dots all over your sleeping pad...not a bad idea. Better that replacing a good sleeping pad. (April 2012 Issue of Backpacker)

BTW...it's the Editer's Choice Awards 2012 (Gear Guide) issue...so, if you're a gear junky like me, you might want to pick it up.
              Thank you! I subscribe to Backpacker magazine, so I'll be sure to look for that article. P.S. I try to steer clear of the gear junk addiction; I used to be severely techno when it came to my mountain bike. $$$$$
              Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Pacific Outdoor Equipment’s sleeping pads are the culmination of a few bright ideas, lots of research, long hours of contemplation, and another healthy dose of time in the field. When we log hours in the mountains and on the rivers, we see the true test of our efforts. Empirical data only suggests outcome. The field is really where it’s proven.
                I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Comment

I have a Big Agnes bag and slip a pad into the bottom. When I first bought the bag I felt a little ripped off as there is no bottom insulation, but putting a styrofoam pad inside the sleeve works great.

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
                    I don't know which brands or models I have, but I started with one of those self-inflating ones. I kept sliding off of it. No matter how much or how little I inflated it.
                    I used to have this problem, but now I put my "thermarest" inside my sleeping bag, this works well.

Comment

Hey Robert R.!!

My boyfriend uses the exped down mat in the summers as that's when we do most of our backpacking and he loves it (and i really really like it too.....thinking about upgrading). Granted, we live in Canada so our summers backpacking in the mountains aren't overly hot anyways. But he took it on the West Coast Trail (in BC) trip in August, and the Chilkoot Trail (in the Yukon) also in August. Never had a problem with being too hot with the pad. And it is quite a bit thickier/loftier than a thermarest pad (which I have) so makes for a good nights sleep! I have the prolite 4 women's pad and it's definitely good too, but I have been envious of his loftier, warmer pad. However, either of these when compared to a blue foamie will feel like luxury!!

Comment

Update:
                        Since im a side sleeper and im getting old(my bones are stiff and soar on a daily basis..).
                        I have switched from my Thermarest(which is 2"thick) to the Eureka Singlis ST(which is almost 3"thick) while backpacking and camping.
                        That extra 1" the Eruika has makes a huge difference, it's almost like sleeping on my bed at home!
                        The other bonus is the Eureka was about $50, which is about 1/2 the cost of a decent thermarest.

Comment

Just got back from a trip around the great lakes. We travelled with a therarest and a green klymet. The green klymet is half the price of the therarest. It is also shorter. However , it offers no insolation value and even on a warm night I could feel the cold from the ground. During the summer once that is not an issue because it is a wider mat it will be more confortable. The therarest is narrower and longer , that is why once it warmed up my husband got that one. On cool ground the therarest has got the insolation value to have a confortable night. We plan on picking up another therarest

Comment

I just bought an Exped DownMat Lite 5. The R factor is critical. The higher the R value, the warmer you will sleep. Bare ground sucks the heat from your body. Regular air mattresses are not much better. I like comfort and light weight. I think with the Exped, I have found the best balance.

I also have a Klymit Static V air mattress that is great for back packing in warm weather. It has an R value of about 1.6-not much better than the bare ground. However, it weighs a little more than 1 pound and it's comfortable, and packs super small.
                            Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X