Rain Gear for Backpacking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain Gear for Backpacking...

So, I've been looking into raingear and I've ran into a couple snags...Gortex or rubber impregnated nylon? +'s and -'s? Thanks! :cool:
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Re: Rain Gear for Backpacking...

I would go with Gortex or something newer and better like....

http://www.rei.com/product/817967/mo...ain-parka-mens

which is on my list.
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

What about military surplus gortex jackets...with liners?

Comment

Yeah...price of Gortex is one of the reasons that I was thinking Military Surplus...I can pick-up the old style woodland camo Gortex jackets for about $60 each with a removable liner. Way less than a North Face or other name brands.

Comment

The main problem with Gortex is that you/it have to reach a certain moisture level INSIDE the jacket before the Gortex will open up and let the moisture out.
          Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

This is just me but if you're just backpacking I would jusr pack a simple poncho. consider something that can be packed into a small space and lightweight. pack it at top of your rucksack. two fold reason; 1st reason easy access in case of rain, 2nd in case you one one of your companions get hurt use it to cover him/her to help prevent him/her from going into shock

Comment

Busere, I have to agree with everything said here. Goretex (or any of the other derivatives) all fail in tropical humid (yes Virginia) conditions once you start exercising (backpacking). There just isnt enough difference between outside and inside conditions to get the moisture out. Having said that I have used it dry (humidity) conditions and it is great.

I spent two months backpacking in the jungle in Papua New Guinea including walking the Kokoda trail. I used a poncho designed for a backpack and it worked great. Still allowed plenty of air movement and as long as you keep the selaer up to it it was awesome. Also provided shelter if you needed to set up for a short time. Also means you pack is dry when you get to where you are heading. I picked up another one here at Bass Pro Shops and it has been good so far and really dirt cheap.

The other thing I found in PNG was I used military desert boots. Yes they let the water in but they also let it out. We could cross a river and feet would dry out within a mile or so. The guys in goretex boots would be saturated all day and started having really bad issues with footrot etc.

So. Depends on conditions. Around here (Va) I would go with Goretex during winter but once it heats up I pull out my poncho.
              Total night under canvas 2012: 22

Comment

matee5, thanks! That all makes great sense.

Comment

Working...
                X