Backpacking 101 with the OCB...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpacking 101 with the OCB...

My wife, son and I just went through part one of the Backpacking 101 class with an organization called the Obsessive Compulsive Backpackers (OCB) here in Virginia Beach. It was a great class room learning experience. We covered…well, pretty much everything you could think of in terms of backpacking. We’re going out on an OCB trip from March 30th thru April 1st, to put the classroom information into practice…under instructor supervision (Backpacking 101 Part 2).

If you have an organization like this in your area, it might be a good idea for new backpackers, it’ll save you a lot of headaches and cash…keeping you from buying gear that you don’t need and keep you from making life threatening mistakes.

If there are no groups like this in your area…you guy’s with experience may want to start-up something like this to educate us new backpackers…it can save lives, and create less impact on the environment that we all love to visit.

Just a thought. :cool:

Rodney
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Re: Backpacking 101 with the OCB...

I think it is great that organizations are out there to help introduce people to one of my favorite activities.

How was the instruction? By that I mean did they keep it engaging for adults and kids alike? Were the instructors dull and just reciting the information? I am just curious.
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

We had three diffrent instructors, and they were all three very engaging. When they first brought-up a powerpoint...I was thinking, "OH NOOOO!!! DEATH BY POWERPOINT!!!!" but they really did a good job of using it for key points only and they taught mostly from experiance. For the class room session it was Safety and First Aid, Boots and Clothing, Gear Introduction, Leave No Trace...etc. On the weekend trip, they're covering Fire starting and safety, Bear Bags, more LNT, Land Nav...etc. Most of the stuff, is knowledge that I already have...but it was really good for my wife and son...(COUGH)...to see that I knew what I was talking about.

Comment

Yeah, I always think the same thing when I see PP. Then you get the people that give you the PP printout so you can take notes, and all they do is read the PP word for word. Highly unprofessional and boring.

Glad to hear it was a good class and I look forward to hearing about part 2.

Also glad to hear that your wisdom has been vindicated, haha!
        Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Looking forward to the coming part 2.The class seems professional and useful,providing much knowledge when backpacking.
          I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Comment

I am looking forward to part 2!

Comment

IDK about OCD camping but when you are backpack camping its good to lay out each days clothing out and roll them up to easily pack in your rucksack. lay out jeans, shirt, skivies and socks. roll them up in a neat roll or fold them up together and lay them evenly in layers in said pack. aloso pack an extra pair of socks for each day of camp including 1st day (3 days of camp take 4 extra pairs of socks) it is also advisable to pack exta skivies like this as well.Pack a poncho last (on top) of everything (2 fold purpose) 1st acts as quick access to it incase it starts to rain, 2nd acts as quick cover in case you on one of your companions get hurt and you can use it to cover up to prevent going into shock 2nd in line right under the poncho should be a 1st aid kit.
              Ok im rambling on here. Ok thats my opinion of things to pack.

Comment

Working...
              X