X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a solid compass?

I am in the market for a new compass.

I found this one http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/54760-1.html

Has anyone ever used it? It seems to be getting some decent reviews around the web.

Do you have any other thought on one for me to look at?

Thanks!

Re: looking for a solid compass?

Hey Copenhagen,

You have probably purchased by now but here is my 2cents worth. After many years of tromping around the bush in the military and being an active member of orienteering orgs and rescue orgs I would go with a baseplate compass myself.

I have used both sighting compass (the one you are looking at) and a baseplate compass and I find the sighting compasses are too big and bulky. You also get more additional stuff with a baseplate. The scales on a baseplate are much more useful, easier to use as a protractor and generally easier to find a spot on a map from a given coordinate.

If you really think you need the sighting aspects then you can get a baseplate with sighting mirror. Difficult to find but a prism system in the bezel is my preferred. No parts to break or work loose and therefore reducing your accuracy.

Silva compasses are very good and the Ranger group are about the same price you are looking at. If you are only starting out using a compass then you definitely dont need to pay that much for a quality compass. The Explorer range will suit you just fine and will be more accurate than your feet following the bearing and are half the price.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want any more info.
    Mick
    Total night under canvas 2012: 22

Comment

Re: looking for a solid compass?

To add to what matee5 said...the one that you are looking at is WAY over-priced on that website (which is surprising as they normaly have good prices). But matee5 is right...get a good baseplate compass.
      2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Working...
      X