Gear Check...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Check...

So, here's where I am with my gear. immortal_ben, can you tell me if I'm moving in the right direction:

1. Osprey Atmos 65 Backpack
    2. MSR Hubba Hubba (2 person) Tent
    3. Field and Stream Zero Degree Sleeping Bag (only for Winter) - 3.6 lbs
    4. Mountain Hardware Flip 35/50 Sleeping Bag (only for Spring/Summer/Fall) - 1.6 lbs
    5. Emberlit Stove (Wood Burning)
    6. GSI Tea Kettle (Stainless)
    7. (2) Bic Lighters
    8. Flint
    9. Cotton/PJ Fire Starters
    10. Small First Aid Kit
    11. Small Survival Tin
    12. Trowel
    13. TP
    14. Hygean Kit w/UL micofiber towel
    15. 3.0 Liter Water Badder
    16. MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter
    17. MSR SweetWater - Purifier Solution
    18. My Knife (13 Inch Gurkah Kukri) - Traded for it over seas...don't ask.
    19. Small 2 inch blade and flint striker that came with the Kukri

That would be it for my base weight:

Winter = 25.2 lbs
    Spring, Summer, Fall = 23.2 lbs

Am I on the right track?
    Last edited by busere; 02-17-2012, 05:49 AM.
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Re: Gear Check...

busere, dude..... assuming you are wanting to move in the direction of the Lightweight Backpacker.... the short answer is yes. You have some pretty nice gear there. I had that flip bag on my short short list for a while. Love your pack but I worry that you might find it to be a tad small before too long. Anywhoo, on to what I see on the list.

Most backpackers consider base weight to be the Big Three or Big Four. They would be your pack, sleeping bag, and shelter, with number four being sleeping pad. The magic number for which lightweighters strive is 14lb for a base weight. By my count, and assuming the manufacturers are not lying TOO much about weights, I read that your Big Three, three season base is 10lb 10oz and your winter is 13lb 10oz. Awesome. You could add just over 1lb for a pad like mine and still be at that sweet spot. Do you have a pad in mind? I do have a few observations about some stuff on your list, though. Keep in mind that the questions are geared towards a person who is wanting to go backpacking.

There are two flints listed. Do you need two?

There are two water filters listed. I understand the need for redundancy and I have had a filter go down while out in the sticks. However, you also have a tea kettle which could serve as a way to boil water for safe drinking. To strain out gunk in situations like that, I throw a few cone-shaped coffee filters in a zippy bag. Both of your filters have great reputations. Sometimes I just take my Steri-Pen and the coffee filters and leave my actual filter at home.

Is your Kukri stout enough to be pounded through a small tree or branch, using a rock or small log? Building shelters/litters/who knows sometimes calls for that.

Do your listed weights include water in the bladder? Just wondering.

I think your list is pretty dang good and a heckuva lot better than mine when I started out doing this. For my hygiene I just take enough baby wipes to clean myself before hopping into the ol fart sack for the night. That helps keep body oils and dirt from wearing out the inside of your bag too fast. This also serves to lighten my pack with every passing day, which is muy bueno.
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by immortal_ben View Post
      before hopping into the ol fart sack for the night.
      That kills me.

Anyway. Thought of ditching the trowel and digging your holes with the gurkha knife? Just cut a circle and lift it out with the side of the blade. Seems like it would be faster than the trowel.

I agree you are kinda overkill with the two flints PLUS two lighters. I'd ditch one of each. I don't see running out one lighter on even a weeks trip, unless you are trying to heat up a cup of coffee with it. Having a flint as backup for the lighter is good, but if your flint is good, you shouldn't need two of them.
      Last edited by Shadow; 02-17-2012, 04:42 PM.
      Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Yeah, I didn't bring up the two lighters because two tiny ones are bout the same weight as one large one. I have had lighters break in the field so I am a fan of two tiny lighters.

And I take fart sack literally :D

Life is a verb.

Comment

It's only one flint. The bladder is included in the weight, with no water. The Kukri comes what appears to be two smaller knifes, but only one of them is a small 2" blade, the other is not sharpened...it's the steel striker for your flint...the other thing that I listed is just the flint without the steel. My Kukri is sturdy...it's very sturdy. So, yeap...you can chop with it...and it does a great job...however, I'm not big on the idea of using it to dig with. Dirt can hold surprises that can chip or just outright dull your blade...with a cheaper machete, I wouldn't mind, but with a well made Kukri...couldn't bring myself to do it. Ok, so I'm on the right track...well, we've been saving for a long time to do something like this.
          Last edited by busere; 02-17-2012, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
            I'm not big on the idea of using it to dig with. Dirt can hold surprises that can chip or just outright dull your blade...with a cheaper machete, I wouldn't mind, but with a well made Kukri...couldn't bring myself to do it.
            Use the kukri to cut a poop hole digging stick? Just a thought.

Comment

Lol, shadow. I am with you on this. I use a stick or knife or rock to dig a cat hole.

busere, I cant wait till you get out there to use your stuff and come back with a field report.

Life is a verb.

Comment

I'm going out with a group called the Obsessive Compulsive Backpackers (OCB) beginning of May on a Virginia section of the AT. Then again in the end of May on a solo trek in the Hoosier National Forest.

Comment

Awesome. I have been looking at backpacking groups around here but there are so many to choose from.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
                    I'm going out with a group called the Obsessive Compulsive Backpackers (OCB) beginning of May on a Virginia section of the AT. Then again in the end of May on a solo trek in the Hoosier National Forest.
                    I've heard of that group (OCB). Good luck on HNF sounds fun.

Comment

There are three groups in our area: the OCB, which I've already mentioned, the Tidewater Appellation Trail Club (TATC), and the East Coast Hikers (ECH). However, the TATC only does one trip a year to maintenance their section of the AT, and the ECH is mostly about doing day hikes and a couple big trips each year. I belong to all three now, and I'll pick and choose which trips to take. It's too late to sign-up for this year’s TATC maintenance trip, plus they want you to go through their Backpacking 101 class before you can go. We're signed-up for the OCB Backpacking 101 class for the 3rd of next month. Here around the AT, they take the Backpacking 101 thing very serious...to many people get their butts in trouble on the AT.
                      Last edited by busere; 02-18-2012, 02:23 PM.

Comment

I hear ya about people getting themselves into trouble on trails. Here in the Phoenix valley we have several mountains within the city limits. It is a rare thing to go a month without hearing of someone being rescued right in the middle of town. It always amazes me.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Yeah...The big thing here, tourist that come to Virginia don't realize that...WE HAVE BEARS in Virginia. They're Black Bears, but...SUPRISE! They're here!

Comment

Yeah we don't have bears in most of Texas, but we make up for it in poisonous snakes and alligators.

Comment

Y'all come down to Florida. We got it ALL......
                              Bugs
                              Spiders
                              Bears
                              Snakes
                              Gators
                              Silly hikers getting into trouble.......

Sometimes, parts of our trails are under swampwater. :cool:
                              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X