Needed Gear...THE TROWEL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Needed Gear...THE TROWEL!

If where you go backpacking is anything like some of the places I've gone, a poly trowel is all but useless. Even while car camping and using a small, heavy steel mattock, I still have trouble getting through the rocks at times.

Comment

Yep. I have the fancy Sea To Summit trowel and it's useless in the rocky soil of NH.

Just got a snow stake to serve as a trowel. I'll wrap some paracord around the end for a handle:

It's a knock off of the MSR. I think it was $2.50 at Eastern Mountain Sports. Weighs less than an ounce. Actually, I got a couple extra to throw in my tent stake bag, just in case I ever need to anchor a guyline in loose sand. Also can be used horizontally with a rock on top.

Comment

In over 50 years of backpacking I have never carried a trowel.

It is important to bury waste into the surface horizon of the mineral soil, not just cover it with leaves and organic matter.
        Last edited by ppine; 10-10-2013, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ppine View Post
          In over 50 years of backpacking I have never carried a trowel.

It is important to bury waste into the surface horizon of the mineral soil, not just cover it with leaves and organic matter.
          I am with you on that, PPine. If i had to choose between carrying a trowel or a Snickers bar, the Snickers would win hands down. Maybe because I don't camp in heavy use areas. Probably heavy use areas would look like an outhouse explosion if people didn't poop like cats.

Personally, I think the whole trowel thing takes a lot of pre-planning. My system would not allow me enough time to dig through my pack, fish out a trowel, dig a hole, then do the deed. My system would be like," out of the way! Lady with a baby" No hole digging allowed as a pre-cursor

Comment

I took My Swiss sabre anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X