Another Backpack Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Backpack Question...

Alright...I'm really looking at capacity more than anything right now. At Blue Ridge Mountain Sports, they sized me at a medium. I've been looking at the Osprey Atmos, but I'm not sure if I should get a 50 Liter or a 65 Liter. Any sugestions? I do understand, if I get a bigger pack, I'm likly to take stuff that I don't need. Thanks! :cool:
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Re: Another Backpack Question...

How many nights are you looking to spend out? More nights means more food and water. I am actually looking at a 75 because I eventually want to spend several days out.
    Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Having a bigger pack gives you options. A big pack will work for one night, or a week. A small pack will not work for a week.

All it takes is a little bit of discipline in what you throw in the pack.

But.. my backpacking buddy has a Deuter 75+10 and he reports that it is very uncomfortable with light loads. When he has at least 30 lbs in it, that is when the suspension system begins to shine, apparently.

I find that by getting physically smaller gear, and lighter gear, I can ruck for a week with my 4750cu.in. pack.
      Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by immortal_ben View Post
        I find that by getting physically smaller gear, and lighter gear, I can ruck for a week with my 4750cu.in. pack.
        Well 4750 Cu. In. is the same as a 77.8 liter pack.
        Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Maybe that is my secret... :D
          Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

I think got for the 65 and then just stay disciplined about what you can take. In terms of weight there is almost no difference between the 50 and 65 packs, and you can probably (with not a full pack) strap it down into almost the size of a 50, so it is probably worth it.

Comment

Working...
            X