Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdoor Technology - Arctic Yowi Product Review...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor Technology - Arctic Yowi Product Review...

The cold, it’s one thing that that I know a lot about…While in the Navy, I’ve been above the arctic circle on multiple occasions. Let’s just say, I’ve seen polar bears with my own eyes, and not in a zoo. In the Navy, they call guys like us, “Blue Nose”. Now, while standing watch on the exterior of a ship in these extreme cold conditions, you’ll use every method you can think of to stay warm. The last trip I took I thought I’d try something new…the “Arctic Yowi” by Outdoor Technology. What is an Arctic Yowi? It’s a versatile peace of clothing that can be used as a hat, a scarf, a head band, or a women’s halter top if you really want…it’s very versatile (see attached picture). But, standing watch in the extreme cold, how did it hold up? Well, here’s the answer…

Structure – (Rating: 4 out of 10) Not what I expected, I think is the best way to describe the Arctic Yowi. It’s two separate pieces of stretchy micro fabric and micro fiber fleece, sewn together that form a long tube. My disappointment was not in the material used, but that the ends were not hymned-up, meaning, this thing is not going to make it through the washer and dryer…or so I thought. Surprisingly, it made it through without unraveling, but the ends did curl-up real bad making it harder to use after the washing.

Manipulation – (Rating: 6 to of 10) Not so bad, there’s not much for instructions. So you’re left trying to figure things out on your own…but it’s easy to figure out the uses that we would use it for. The scarf and face cover is easy, the beanie was easy. However, if you wash it, it got more difficult to manage because of the ends curling up.

In the Cold – (Rating: 10 out of 10) In our U.S. Navy Extreme weather gear, my neck and face stayed the most warm with use of the Arctic Yowi.

Style – (Rating 10 out of 10) You have several options of style that OT offers…pick your look. I actually called them and special ordered mine in all black, so I could use it in uniform and not get hassled by our Leadership.

Price – (8 out of 10) $11.95 retail price compared to a The North Face beanie for $25.00 retail that can only be used as a beanie, it’s affordable.

Over All – (7 out of 10) I found, that even with the curled-up ends making it difficult to manipulate, it was worth my money due to the warmth and versatility. By the time you buy a beanie and a scarf, you’ve paid more that if you buy the Arctic Yowi.
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Re: Outdoor Technology - Arctic Yowi Product Review...

I like it. I have a couple of similar items that are not made of fleece, they are a poly-spandex blend iirc. Mine are for warmer weather and I used them in the middle east. One is black and the other is woodland cammo. I have used mine during winter camping and they do a decent job of helping to keep one warm. The ends of mine rolled as well, but not so bad that it makes them difficult to use.

I do have a fleece balaclava that is like having a heating pad wrapped around your head. It came in quite handy on last years winter camping trip.

The price point for your fleece ones is pretty dang good!
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

The only problem I have with these kinds of things is invariably when I exhale the channel my breath up towards my eyes and fog my glasses up.
      Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Yep, happens to the best of us.
        Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

I have experienced that a bit. But, my Wiley X glasses (prescriptionshooting glasses) are fog proof, and that's what I stand watch in. With my normal glasses, they fogged-up.

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
            I have experienced that a bit. But, my Wiley X glasses (prescriptionshooting glasses) are fog proof, and that's what I stand watch in. With my normal glasses, they fogged-up.
            yeah I was thinking about picking up some RX Wiley-X glasses for use in airsoft, but don't want to drop the green on them. If I can take them hiking too, then they might be worth it. I'm going to rethink it.

Comment

Shadow, just remember to ask for the fog proofing...it's not standard with most RX lenses. I had to ask for it. I also where them in my race helmet when I race BMX.

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
                Shadow, just remember to ask for the fog proofing...it's not standard with most RX lenses. I had to ask for it. I also where them in my race helmet when I race BMX.
                yeah, the fog proofing would be one of the requirements. Usually for airsoft, i just use i tiny bit of camp soap on the lenses. Then instead of fogging it develops a thin layer of moisture on them. I can see through that.

Those Yowie things look interesting, but if I can find the same fabric, looks pretty simple to make, and my GF has a serger.

Comment

Working...
                X