Folding shovels…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folding shovels…

Folding shovels…The one that I had from the Boy Scouts (30+ years ago) finaly died. After looking at what’s out there, I’ve seen them priced from $5.00 to $60.00 Any sugestions on what to look for in a new ones?:cool:
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Re: Folding shovels…

I just picked up an E-tool from the military surplus store. I think I had to buy the carrier separate from them. Make sure it is made of stout enough metal so it won't bend to easy and the handle and shovel joint should fold and have a screw that helps reinforce the folding joint.

Comment

Last time I looked at them, I thought Gerber had a pretty good model. That is about as much as I can help you out on this one. I find I do not need them when I camp, by ymmv.
      Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

I'm thinking of getting one, so I'm interested in any replies. Won't be for camping. I need to have one in my car, so when I get off the commuter train & I have to dig my car out of whatever snow fell during the day while it was parked in the train station lot.
        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Glitter, a reg folding shovel wont work very well for that purpose. They are to small. I have seen some small snow shovels @ Home Depot though.

Comment

I used to carry a "kiddie" snow shovel in the trunk for just such an occasion. Moves about 5 times as much snow as an e-tool.

What I am wondering is when I take my backpacking trip, should I bring my e-tool, a trowel, or my machete for digging poop holes. I think maybe the machete would be more multipurpose than the shovels and easier to clean.
            Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
              I used to carry a "kiddie" snow shovel in the trunk for just such an occasion. Moves about 5 times as much snow as an e-tool.

What I am wondering is when I take my backpacking trip, should I bring my e-tool, a trowel, or my machete for digging poop holes. I think maybe the machete would be more multipurpose than the shovels and easier to clean.
              There are really lightweight polymer trowels for just that purpose, shadow. That is what I would recommend for you. When you said trowel, I did not know if you meant the old, gardening type my mother used to use, hahaha!

I generally use a stick to dig my hole.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by immortal_ben View Post
                There are really lightweight polymer trowels for just that purpose, shadow. That is what I would recommend for you. When you said trowel, I did not know if you meant the old, gardening type my mother used to use, hahaha!

I generally use a stick to dig my hole.
                yeah I was actually referring to the old granny trowels since we have one in the garage.
                Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

HA, I would have never thought about a small gardening trowel. And ben, you're right, my wife has a light weight polymer trowel that she uses...that would rock! Never would have thunk it. Thanks!

Comment

Dude, don't tell her what you want to use it for! Just take it and plead ignorance.

Life is a verb.

Comment

LOL!!!!I need to go get a towel after spraying my laptop down with coffee! That's funny!

Comment

This forum has become very funny in the past few weeks.
                        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

It is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission...

...this may be why I am single again, however.

Edit: Would that be Navy coffee on a DoD laptop, poc (personally owned coffee) on a DoD laptop, Navy coffee on personal laptop, or poc on personal laptop? I ask because I know how caustic coffee tends to be in the service.
                          Last edited by immortal_ben; 01-21-2012, 08:20 AM.

Life is a verb.

Comment

I keep a standard GI surplus folder inmy van for digging out of sand or such. No snow here in Florida. For camping, I use the light-weight plastic trowel for 'cat holes' etc. Even been known to dig it out with a KABAR knife........ :cool:
                            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I think I'll go with the $.99 trowel.

DOh! The pictures posted in the wrong thread!
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by busere; 01-26-2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X