Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome New Boots!

http://www.obozfootwear.com/site/obo...beartooth.html

I have had these boots for under a month, but I have already had them out on the trail and I know they are by far the best outdoor boot I have ever bought.

Upon first inspection, the boots seemed burly and well built. I was concerned because the company is only about three years old, but I now know they know what the heck they are doing with footwear.

Break-in: These things take some pretty hefty break-in, but what would you expect from a boot one step below a mountaineering boot? It looks like the boot will receive crampons, however.

Fit: Initially I bought the boots in my usual size, which is 12. I wore them for a week, then took them on an overnight backpacking trip. The 12s proved to be too small, much to my amazement. I have never had a size 12 not fit in any type of footwear. I took them back to REI and traded them for a size 13, which fit perfectly. There is no heal slip due to a nifty heel lock system.

Waterproof: Yep, they are. I stood in a flowing stream several inches deep for more than 30 seconds. There was no leakage.

Durability: Much of my trip consisted of a very rocky trail with a bit of climbing and scuffing against rocks and cacti. The boots did not show any real signs of wear, even on the out-sole.

Finish: Both pairs have had nearly perfect finish, and they clean up with a wet cloth.

Torsion and Flex: The boot has an incredible amount of torsion resistance. Flex, once broken-in, is pretty good.

Traction and Trail Feel: I did experience a bit of slippage on a very steeply inclined rock while climbing, but I am over 220lbs and had on a backpack. Maybe Spiderman wouldn't have slipped... I did not feel any rocks through the foot bed, which is something I demand from my boots.

Breathability: The back half of the boot is lined with leather, which I am not used to. I have not yet decided if this aids or hinders breathability, but I have been told it should help with it. I do not recall thinking my socks or feet are any more damp than usual, however. The boot seems to hold a good bit of heat even though this model is not insulated. I will be interested to see how they perform in the summer.

Final Analysis: I love these friggin boots. I wear them daily now, and even tried on a low-cut shoe from the same company to wear when working out and riding my bike. The shoes also seemed to fit a bit small, so that would be my only caution when considering footwear from this company. I am pretty durn impressed so far.
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Re: Awesome New Boots!

That's cool. I just bought a new pair of North Face boots on Monday, but aside from just wearing them around the house the other day I haven't had the chance to test them out. I think maybe after I go to the Buddhist temple this coming Sunday, I might take them out to George Bush park and walk a couple miles and see if I can stand up on Monday.
    Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

What model of boot did you get? I had looked at some of theirs.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by immortal_ben View Post
        What model of boot did you get? I had looked at some of theirs.
        I'll have a look when I get home. Due to having mutantly large feet I had to go to the mens sizes and get a 10.5 size.

Comment

Those look very business like! Totally burly, trekking type of boots. I'm almost ashamed to say it but I ordered a pair of these to try and keep my feet warm LOL!.

Comment

Hey man, nothing wrong with keeping warm! My hunting boots are insulated, and I have a pair of steel toed boots that I used to wear in the energy fields that have 600 grams of insulation... and that wasn't really enough to keep the feet warm.

The ones you ordered sure do look comfy, though.

Life is a verb.

Comment

They are comfy and they are warm, but they are not warm enough once my feet get cold. It's tough getting warm again :(. They are supposed to be waterproof as well, that was a big plus feature for me. Of course, they are not survival boots, but they are pretty darn good for beating around specially in wet, soggy terrain.

Comment

Just slip one of those warming packs in each boot, that will warm ya up pretty quick. I'm one of those guys that if my feet are cold, the rest of me cannot be warm.

Life is a verb.

Comment

This conversation is very helpful. I need a new pair of hiking shoes. I like the natural "barefoot" style of shoes and am fond of the Inov-8 line. But the soles are not aggressive at all and I feel like I'm slipping around even on moderately technical terrain.
                  Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Glitter, did you ever consider this type of footwear? I ask because you mentioned barefoot and that made me think of them.

http://www.rei.com/product/810969/vi...t-shoes-womens

Life is a verb.

Comment

Glitter, did you ever consider this type of footwear? I ask because you mentioned barefoot and that made me think of them.

http://www.rei.com/product/810969/vi...t-shoes-womens
                      I've got a set of the 5-finger shoes but I can't wear them on anything rocky or with debris because i feel every bit of it on my foot..

I looked at the box on my new boots. They are North Face Hedgehog tall GTX XCR III's http://www.rei.com/product/811477/th...ing-boots-mens
                      Last edited by Shadow; 01-12-2012, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Hey, my REI did not have that model. That is a good looking boot.

I could never wear the toe shoes, I hate going barefoot anywhere other than the shower and in my bed. I have, however, seen many many people wearing them out on some pretty nasty trails.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Hey, my REI did not have that model. That is a good looking boot.

I could never wear the toe shoes, I hate going barefoot anywhere other than the shower and in my bed. I have, however, seen many many people wearing them out on some pretty nasty trails.
                          I got the 5-fingers (toe shoes, gorilla feet, etc that my friend call them) because I have weird flat feet and thought I would be able to run more in them. They are actually pretty comfortable, but I found that they do not protect me from shock enough to not have my feet and legs sore after running on pavement. I relegated them to house/yard shoes, or something to wear to the beach. I have a friend who wears them all over, and even took them to some of the "Tough Mudder" and "Warrior Dash" type events. They make a hiking version that is more beefy in the sole but I am not going to pursue those.

The boots I actually bought at a place locally called "Whole Earth Provision company". It's sort of a hippy version of REI that is a bit more specialized in what they have. I payed about the same as the online REI price so at least I didn't get ripped off.

Funny, I wore the hiking boots around the house today, as I am trying to break them in gently before I take them out on a long hike. When I got dressed for work I put on my tactical boots and suddenly realized how terrible the fit is on my work boots. I bought them probably a size too big. My feet slide and shift all over the work boots. No wonder my feet are always sore and tired after a day in them. Next time I buy a pair, i'm getting a smaller size.

FYI my work boots are Bates Ultra-lite side-zip duty boots. They are great for my work in security, and also double as my biker boots.

Comment

Thanks guys! You're right Ben, I love the VFF. I have a pair, but they are retired for the season. It gets too cold and wet here to wear these past September.
                            Looks like I could use a trip to REI [not that anyone has to twist my arm on that ].
                            Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Wait wait wait.. there is a hippy version of REI? Wow... I thought REI was nearly too crunchy-granola for me.

I have that same tac-boot with the fancy heel technology that can be changed at whim. They are an ok boot, but I am actually about to get rid of them because I bought a pair of shoes for working out the other day.

I end up at REI about every other week, but they love seeing Dexter in there and usually ask me to have him jump up on the counter so people can pet him.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Working...
                              X