Anyone else use the GSI Ketalist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else use the GSI Ketalist?

I recently bought a GSI Halulite Ketalist. Seems like a good little set up so far. It's lighter than my Jet Boil PCS and can be used over a fire. I made a little alcohol stove from a couple of Red Bull cans, a stand from 1/2x1/2" utility mesh and a windscreen from heavy duty foil to complete the kit. I hate to just drink plain water and it's nice to have tea on a cool night. With the little stove, I can get 2 cups of water to a rolling boil with 4 TBSP of a 50/50 mix of Heet and 90% Isopropyl alcohol in around 6 minutes. Below are a few pics of it:

and a pic of the lit stove:

This thing will be going many places with me. I'll still use the Jet Boil on occasion though.

Re: Anyone else use the GSI Ketalist?

I have a little pot that looks very similar to yours. It boils water so fast because of the material it's made of (hard anodized aluminum), it's size (very small), and the shape (short and squat).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Optimus Terra Kettle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	69359

This is the Optimus Terra Kettle, which I own. It came with a little mesh bag for storage. I actually don't use mine that much due to it's size.

I have a full sized, whistling tea kettle that I take camping. Once I've made our morning coffee, I add the left-over heated water to the dish pan. This heats up the cold water and makes for easier dish washing.

If I use this kettle, I am more apt to use this later in the evening when I am looking for speed and don't need that much hot water.

UPDATE: Sorry, just noticed this was a backpacking thread, therefore you'd want something small and light.
    Last edited by surmisez; 07-15-2011, 07:34 PM.
    "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
    ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

I've been thinking about picking one up they really look pretty neat.

Comment

Nice kit. I've seen that kettle in outdoor gear sites. I'm not a DIY guy so my question may seem silly to you but does your alcohol stove have a control valve? In your picture the flame looks very evenly distributed and is jetting out strong.

Comment

The kit is very nice. One of my good backpacking buddies brings his along on every trip. He uses the MSR Pocket Rocket but is looking into upgrading to its replacement, the MSR Micro Rocket.

It looks to me that the homemade setup would use the windscreen to restrict/open airflow, thus making the windscreen be the control valve.
          Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

I have the GSI Ketalist I have the stainless not the halulite. Bass Pro had it on sale for $20. I love mine. I make chai in it every trip and like surmisez I then use it for cleaning the other dishes.
            Nights Outside in 2012: 4

Comment

I have one as well, I like it.
              2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

My camping buddy has one and liked it when we would bring it out. After a few trips with it though he started to leave it at home to reduce weight and space in his pack. We all carry individual cups that can be put right on the burner if we want to do coffee or tea. It is a nice piece of gear to have if you have room and a need for it.

Comment

Love mine...

I saw what looked identical to the GSI ketalist, I think at Wally World, under a dif name (I dont remember) it was $10. The handle had a black coating instead of orange.
                  I don't know where I am going with this reply so I'll just stop.

Comment

I have the Primus Litech 1.5l kettle. Works nicely on my Snowpeak Giga, Windpro or my current favorite for canoeing Coleman Sportster II.

http://www.sunnysports.com/p-pmslk15...tea-kettle-15l

Comment

I bought a GSI kettle but not the Ketalist kit. I like the kettle a lot but doubt I'd use the bowl and mug that come with the kit. I really like the kettle but I wish it was a bit bigger. That Primus Litech 1.5l kettle looks about perfect

Comment

Working...
                      X