MRE Meals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MRE Meals?

MRE's are made to sustain ACTIVE troops in ACTIVE combat situations. I was in the service for 8 years and have extensive experience with them. The ones made in the late 90s-early 2000s were around 3000 calories each. They are heavily fortified and taste like it, although some of them are pretty darn good.

Sometime after 2004, the Department of Defense decided that 3000 calories was not enough, as some troops in heavy combat were losing too much weight. The calorie content was upped to the neighborhood of 6000 per meal.

All MREs are made to be consumed using the included salt packet (because trust me.. one sweats a LOT in combat) and at LEAST one canteen of water, two being recommended. Over in the middle east, one has a great desire to drink a lot of water, but sometimes a "lot" is not available. I remember weeks when we were rationed one large bottle of water for an entire day. It was about a liter, if I recall correctly.

If MREs have changed since 2006, I do not know, because that is when I had to leave the service.

I would not recommend MREs for backpacking because they are indeed very heavy. I would see no harm in a family of car-campers eating them for a meal on a trip.
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by immortal_ben View Post
      I would not recommend MREs for backpacking because they are indeed very heavy. I would see no harm in a family of car-campers eating them for a meal on a trip.
      I have to agree with Ben. Simply the packaging in these things is a lot. Heavy plastic bags, cardboard, wrappers, etc. On top of that, the main course meals are not dehydrated in any way, so if you get meat loaf for instance, its just a vacuum sealed helping of meatloaf and gravy. Full water weight. Add to that the other stuff and trash that comes with it. Maybe if you intended only eating them once a day, and were doing a lot of climbing, running, and sweating, then maybe you might burn off the considerable calories in them, but IMO you would be better served either just bringing fresh food in a cooler (if car camping) or bringing lightweight/dehydrated items. Dried fruit, beef jerky, and such
      Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

We ration when in the field, meaning...you may not feel full, but you are taking in ONLY the calories you need and no more. I've made one full MRE last all day.

As for weight...you are dead on...they're a lot of extra weight with main courses not being dehydrated. MRE's being military, and the military being more conserned about products that last longer and NOT weight...for us in the military, means suck-it-up and keep humping your ruck.

I like Mountain House way better than MRE's for a long trek.
        2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

I think Mountain House are tastier anyway. Except for the old Pork Cow Mein MRE, because that thing was awesome.

On a side note from this topic, the method with which the main course in an MRE is made is called su vide. It is a French method and you can read about it at the following link if you would like.

http://www.cookingsousvide.com/info/...s-vide-cooking

See, I DID learn something in culinary school, haha!

Life is a verb.

Comment

I am actually eating a dinner of MRE "Creamy Chicken Tetrazini" now, as I type. Didn't feel like cooking - just a couple packets in a paper plate, a little heat, "Bob's yer uncle"! :cool:
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I do not recall that I ever had that entree. How was it?

Life is a verb.

Comment

Pretty good. Some might want a bit of salt and pepper added.

Comment

I tried the meals once and to be honest I think there are other things to take camping that do just as well without the same calorie content/general unhealthiness of them, despite the packaging and weight of them. I went out with them once and think I ended up carrying/drinking so much water that it just wasnt helpful at all. On Groupon I found really cheap ways to stay healthy when camping that doesnt result in taking on so many calories and also easy to burn off.

I am a massive believer in couscous (light to carry but full of energy), high-sugar bars like kendal mint-cake and dried fruits. and a hipflask of whisky for a cold night
                  Last edited by timmyyoung; 02-20-2012, 01:59 AM.

Comment

It is not that MREs are unhealthy, but the scope for which they were made to BE healthy is so narrow that most people will never see that type of activity.

Life is a verb.

Comment

It is not that MREs are unhealthy, but the scope for which they were made to BE healthy is so narrow that most people will never see that type of activity.
                      Agreed... If you are planning to hump a 60 pound pack 30 miles over rough terrain then get into a fight, you are probably taking in too many calories eating an MRE.

Comment

Calories......

The typical MRE entree contains 170 to 240 calories per pouch. Two pouches make a good filling meal, and still under 500 calories total - far under the basic 1500 to 2000 calories we are told we need for non-strenuous daily intake.
                        It's all the OTHER crap people 'snack' on that ramps up the calories.

Comment

I found this comparison of Civilian MREs http://www.mreinfo.com/civilian/mre/...omparison.html

Also FYI, even though the Mil-spec MRE's say "unlawful for commercial sale" on them, there actually is no law against selling them to the public.

Some more info.

http://www.mreinfo.com/civilian/mre/civilian-mres.html

Comment

I do not know what a "typical" MRE is. I was commenting on military MREs.

Life is a verb.

Comment

I do not know what a "typical" MRE is. I was commenting on military MREs.
                              Exactly. Check your pouch info.......

Comment

I read plenty of them during the eight years I was in.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Working...
                                X