iodine [first aid + water]
    lighter
    leatherman
    candel
    one water bottle
    and a windbreaker

i am think about a minimalist trip.

Re: would you do it?

I'd replace two Tortellinis with something else, give some variation!

What shelter in case of rain? What to sleep on? Got a water filter, and a supply nearby? (Lake, river,etc.)
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I would never do it. That just sounds like pure misery.
      May you always have love to share,
      Health to spare
      And friends that care.

Comment

Add a tarp and I may do it.

Comment

Might be fun to try once.
          Los Cuernos Ranch on Facebook

Comment

I would do it, but add a blanket like it's used by the emergency ambulance when some person got symptoms of a shock. It's light, you won't freeze even in the winter and you may stay warm under any conditions. Despite of the fact, that your body's temperature is as important as having enough to drink.

Comment

You make your own shelter, and you stay warm by making a fire.

I would do it, but I would drop the candle and add a fixed blade knife.
              Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Drop the casualty blanket and carry a Marmot 30-degree down bag. It weights almost nothing and compresses to the size of a hat. Beats the sauna of a casualty blanket. Take water purification pills, iodine hurts more than helps healing, that's from the 50's. A bar of soap or Betadine would be a better first aid product. Better yet would be waterless hand cleaner as it's also a fire-starting aid in addition to a wound-cleansing soap. You can also leave the lighter and just take a firestarter block since you have a blade. A lock blade knife along with a mini-leatherman would do almost as much and weigh a whole lot less. Make sure the windbreaker is Gore-tex and have a polarplus jacket for the inside of it.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Oh, I didnt see the leatherman on the list. I would drop that as well.

Life is a verb.

Comment

So 2 days- that's only one night? Warm weather? I've done it with less, I went camping with a bunch of friends in college with some sheets and food in the mountains in GA in the middle of summer- 90s during the day, 70s at night. Someone probably checked the weather, but not one of us had any shelter and we just slept out under the stars. I'm sure one of the guys built a fire and we just grilled hot dogs or something like that. I don't think I even had a sleeping bag then.

Now, I'd probably bring a hammock and my silk bag. Keeps you cool on all sides.

Key point - check the weather!

Comment

haha. Definitely add toilet paper! And why not substitute the candle for a good camping flashlight?

Comment

Without a tent? maybe is very warm!
                        So, i have seen nobody saying to bring one fruit or two multivitamin pills, and i think is usefull to walk a lot.
                        For two day i think is enough, add some toiletpaper and the kit is complete for me
                        SOme times i go with around the same things.. but i eat better!:D:D:D

Comment

Originally posted by fermi91 View Post
                          bring this gear on a 2 day backpacking trip in warm weather:

1 casualty blanket
                          alcohol stove
                          tortolini for 3 meals
                          dried survival bread [3 meals]
                          homemade energy gel
                          iodine [first aid + water]
                          lighter
                          leatherman
                          candel
                          one water bottle
                          and a windbreaker

i am think about a minimalist trip.
                          According to the REI site. The 10 essentials for a backpacking trip are as follows.

Navigation (map and compass) -you have none
                          Sun protection (sunglasses and sunscreen) - you have none
                          Insulation (extra clothing) -windbreaker is ok it has been waterproofed and not expecting anything below about 55 degrees
                          Illumination (headlamp/flashlight) - you have only a candle
                          First-aid supplies - just iodine won't cut it
                          Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candles) - you DO have lighter
                          Repair kit and tools - you have a leatherman only
                          Nutrition (extra food) -energy gel i guess
                          Hydration (extra water) - you need more than one bottle
                          Emergency shelter - I suppose you can rig something up with the blanket if you are resourceful.

Now I have day hiked from a stocked base camp with less, but I would not go for an overnight with the gear you listed.
                          Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Well, there are good arguments for going out for one or more nights with nothing but a knife and the clothes on your back.

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by immortal_ben View Post
                              Well, there are good arguments for going out for one or more nights with nothing but a knife and the clothes on your back.
                              Yeah, I suppose if you took some classes in survival and living off the land, going out with nothing but that might be a good test of your skills, but in a pre-planned expedition out overnight, even with those skills, I would still want to bring a bit of gear. I have to admit though, part of me gets jollies out of dicking around with my gear.
                              Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Working...
                              X