Search and Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search and Rescue

I just joined Klamath County Search and Rescue. The first training I will be attending will be spending 24 hours in the snow with only the clothes I will have on, a knife, and whatever I want to demonstrate I can start a fire with three different techniques (match, mag/flint, and home made fire starter).

I joined because they have a wealth of knowledge on how to survive in an emergency and I want to learn more of those skills.
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Proud as a pup for you Chuck! Seems that retirement is befitting you well! Doing things that you didn't have time to do when you were slaving away in a younger life. Happy that someone is contributing to helpin others in their time of need.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
      Proud as a pup for you Chuck! Seems that retirement is befitting you well! Doing things that you didn't have time to do when you were slaving away in a younger life. Happy that someone is contributing to helpin others in their time of need.
      Thanks, Dude! I'm always willin' to do my share, especially if I feel I am gaining more than my share if I don't participate. Just in the short time they have had my attention I have learned some things, and so far had several of the bits and pieces of skills I have in the wilderness validated as right on!

It is going to be a fun challenge, come Jan 22, when I get to spend from 7:00am on the 22nd, until 7:00am on the 23rd, "dropped" off in a snow covered forest, with no supplies other than all the clothing I want to wear, all the matches I want to carry, and a 3" blade knife (or shorter). I have to build and maintain a fire for the last 14 hours of my stay there, and build a "hut" larger enough for myself, which will be rain proof.

Saturday, we were shown how to build the hut and to find/gather pitch as a fire starter.
      Chuck
      So. Oregon
      TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
      TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
      SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Working...
      X