Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression sack sizing

Good day from Texas.

I need to get compression sacks for me and my wife's sleeping bags (we both have the same one and will be carrying our own in our own pack) but the simple measure provided by the manufactures I've found so far is a bit ambiguous. The sacks I've located are sized in liters, however there is no real guidance as to what size is suitable.

I look at the bag as it's rolled up, it's got a diameter of around 20 inches and is about 24 inches long. So that results in a volume of 471 cubic inches or 7.7 liters.

So, what I'm looking for in a compression sack is one that's around 10 liters, correct? That'd give me a bit of extra stuffing space and therefore reduce the amount of cussing the poor little birdies and frogs would be exposed to whilst I pack up camp.:eek:

Does this number sound about correct? I really want to ditch those silly stow sacks that the bags came in and be able to get the bags down in the back packs. Does the uncompressed diameter of the sack matter, or will those bags just stuff in there? From the looks of it a waterproof compression sack is going to run me about $25 or so. About how much of a voulumetric reduction might I see with my cheapie synthetic +20degF bag? 25%, 33%?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

You really answered your own questions. You're right on the money as far as compression sacks go! Good luck!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I am not sure if you are asking what size compression sack to get? If so, I suggest you contact the maker of your bag and ask them. Also, if your bags are down, you really don't want to put them in a compression sack, or have them compressed for as little time as possible, because you will crush the down and lose the rating of the bag.
      Chuck
      So. Oregon
      TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
      TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
      SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Well, I went ahead and got the eVac dry/compression bag from REI. We had a credit there and that made it easy. Anyways, I got the 20 liter one assuming that'd be fine (large size) but it ain't gonna cut it.:mad:

I'm a fairly big guy and there's not a snowballs chance that I can get it in there. I've tried it two different ways attempts and it basically fills the sack all the way to the top in such volume that I'm unable to roll it down enought to get the compression cap on it. Oh well.... gues I'm back to REI to get the XL size (30 liter).

I think I'll bring it along with my sleeping bag and try to stuff it there at the store before I buy another!

Comment

Re: Compression sack sizing

Mark's gotta be talking about synthetic bags, as there's no reason for a compression sack with a down bag. My 4-season bags are so tiny it's ridiculous, I can put two of them in a single saddlebag on my Hog.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
          X