Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Camping Equipment

Hello All

Well Ive been gathering up my new camping gear. Ive been doing historical camping for many years so thats pretty much all I have had for camping. Well this year because of my days off being Sun/Mon I have decided to get into modern camping both car and some backpacking. So here is what Ive got.

My tent is a Quest Eagle Peak 8 x 7, My Pack is a Cuscus Expedition 75, My Cook kit is the Coleman 4 piece Anodized Set, My Sleeping bag is a Mil Spec Plus 3 in 1 set which is 2 bags that go together to make 1 heavier bag,
    My Sleep pad I went a little over board with but it will be great for car camping but I will have to get something smaller and lighter for Backpacking I have a Alps Mountaineering Pine Ridge Air Pad Extra Long 30" x 77" x 3". I probably wont get to use it until next year now so that gives me time to Improve on my kit where needed and ad what else I need. So thats it for now. Take care and have a nice day.

Smiley............ Great collection of stuff. Now, like most of us, ya gotta just find the time to use it and enjoy it!:p
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

The gear sounds just a bit heavy for backpacking, but I am unfamiliar with that tent. Of course, as you try out the weight and fitment, you'll be best able to make the decision. For car camping, sounds like a good foundation!
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

My new Gear

Its surprising that the tent is pretty light for its size and rolls up fairly small but yeah Ill have to try it out to see for sure Ive used it car camping and its great for that. Thats why the big sleep mat also I didnt have one on my last camping trip so these old bones didnt last on the hard ground very long. Ive been doing Historical camping so long with truck loads of camp its hard to get away from that mental stigma and go with just what you can carry. But Im going to work on it and see where it goes. Take care and have a nice day.

Comment

Smiley, I missed the part about you wanting to backpack with what you mentioned. I agree with BD that it should work fine for car camping. But, you are going to probably find you are going to be carrying quite a load on your back with what you have mentioned there. True, you won't know for sure until you start poundin' trail. If you want any help with gear later, let me know. I would be happy to help you out or lead you in some direction.

My wife and I can go trail pounding for a week with less than 17 pounds on our backs, including food. But, we have taken years to find ways to get the weight down - in addition to technology.
          Chuck
          So. Oregon
          TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
          SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Chuck what do you guys use for sleep pads when hiking. The sleeping bags and cook pots I will probably only use half the set but it gives me a choice in sizes with the smaller or larger set and the heavier or lighter of the sleeping bags depending on the weather temps that why I chose both of them. But it was just after I bought the cook pots that I seen where you guys posted using soup cans and coffee cans for cook kits for what I paid I could buy a lot of soup and coffee to have for cook kits. The tent isnt that heavy but I am looking into the option of a light weight tarp system also. I got this winter to work on most of this before next year.

Take care Smiley

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
              Chuck what do you guys use for sleep pads when hiking.
              Oh, kind of not a fair question for me to answer :o. In warmer weather, I have a 30 degree down bag I take, using it as a blanket more than getting in it and zipping it up. The pad is a foam thing that folds up. I like it because I don't have to blow it up and I can open it as little as I want (to use as a kneeling pad when cooking, or a cushion on a rock or tree trunk) or open it all the way and use it as something to rest on in the afternoon.

When the weather is cooler, I have a Big Agnes mummy bag which takes a contoured air mattress on the bottom. I also take the mattress mentioned above to put under this air mattress, and to use as mentioned above, too.

The.......cook pots I will probably only use half the set but it gives me a choice in sizes with the smaller or larger set and the heavier or lighter of the sleeping bags depending on the weather temps that why I chose both of them. But it was just after I bought the cook pots that I seen where you guys posted using soup cans and coffee cans for cook kits for what I paid I could buy a lot of soup and coffee to have for cook kits.
              Yes, soup cans and coffee cans work just fine when on the trail. I have one of those aluminum pot grippers to move the cans. Hey, I'm not on the trail to impress anyone. On the other hand, my wife is an extreme ultralight, and uses a titanium pot to cook with.

I do have a confession. The cook pot I use now actually is a well dented up aluminum pan I picked up for a quarter at a garage sale. I have had it for probably 6-7 years now. Most of my meals on the trail only require boiling water and adding our own dehydrated foods to the pot, so I/we don't need more than something to heat water in for one or two of us at a time.

The tent isnt that heavy but I am looking into the option of a light weight tarp system also. I got this winter to work on most of this before next year.
              Tarp systems are ok as long as the person under the tarp is not exposed to a heavy wind, wind driven rain, or a deluge of rain when set up on any surface that isn't flat. If you KNOW the weather is going to be nice, then a tarp is fine. But, if the weather is going to be nice, why take anything?

I almost always take my one person tent with me. That way, if I encounter flying bugs, I can climb into my tent, enjoy the view because of the netting around it, and keep the bugs out of my life. I also have the rain fly with me, in case the Weather God was wrong.

A tarp has it's place on the trail, especially if you are interested in really, really lowering the weight of your pack. But, not even Susan would take a tarp, because weather changes, bugs show up, and neither of us are gluttons for punishment on the trail.

Hope this helps a bit. Don't hesitate to through more questions at me. I'm more than willing to help out. I have to admit though, Susan and I will be out of the country the month of November - backpacking in Tasmania. I won't be looking at this forum until we get back.
              Chuck
              So. Oregon

Comment

Yeah thanks for the advice. I hope you have a good time and are safe on your trip. Ill check back with you when you get back and let you know how Ive progressed. I probably wont get to use it until next spring so Ill have time to change things as I see I need it. Take care. Smiley

Comment

Working...
                X