Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Complaints??

Hey everyone,

I'm a current design student and my task is to design a hiking backpack. However, since I havent had the opportunity to experience such activities as camping and hiking that would utilize the backpack. I was hoping to hear back from you. So, if you have any complaints about your backpack or have any things you wish the backpack had, Im all ears.

Thank you

Originally posted by Ohall View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm a current design student and my task is to design a hiking backpack. However, since I havent had the opportunity to experience such activities as camping and hiking that would utilize the backpack. I was hoping to hear back from you. So, if you have any complaints about your backpack or have any things you wish the backpack had, Im all ears.

Thank you
    Give me a couple of days to work on this. I just got back from a trek, need to do some stuff around here. But, I will get back to you.
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Thanks I appreciate all the help in advance!

Comment

I have been spending the weekend getting ready for a 4 day trek in the higher country this coming week.

I have had to get soft sided (material), small, digital camera case to carry my GPS and Personal Rescue Beacon in, and have had to adapt velcro straps so they would wrap around the shoulder strap/s of my backpack.

One suggestion:

1. "Pockets" on the straps of a backpack to store/secure a GPS and/or Personal Rescue Beacon. Yes, this pocket could also be used to store a small digital camera.

1a. As an ultra-light packer, I would like the pockets to be made out of an elastic, synthetic, mesh material (minimizing total gross weight of the backpack) and so the GPS or beacon doesn't bounce around in the pocket.

1b. There needs to be consideration of a hole under the pocket so a line/string can extend from the GPS and be secured to/through the pocket, - preventing the GPS or beacon from hitting the ground if dropped.

2. A pocket to store a compass would be nice. Consider the compass location needs to be away from batteries and other electronics so the compass needle doesn't de-magnitize.

If/as I think of other things, I will share them with you. Don't forget to let us know what your design comes up looking like.
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Im still open to maybe doing another product (for hiking/camping). So if you have any complaints about any other product, Id love to hear about it...

And thank you once again, I appreciate the input.

Comment

Design a backpack where the straps and buckles won't be ripped off between the time the backpack goes through the TSA scanner until the time I pick it up at the loading dock. Sheeeeeeez! Pi*s*s me off!
            Chuck
            So. Oregon

Comment

Your FIRST task should be - GO HIKING! Take a typical popular pack design, pack the basic necessities (there are basic camping/hiking lists everywhere, even here!), and hike into your nearest woods for a good overnighter. Hike a couple miles to get the feel of it.
              This will give you a good baseline for comparison to other packs and other people's observations.
              Before you can HELP the hiker, you must BECOME the hiker! :cool:
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
              X