Bug Juice when Walking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug Juice when Walking?

What type of Insect repellent do you carry when backpacking or hiking?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I plan my backpacking "around" the mosquitoes. There are some truly beautiful places around here that I won't entertain visiting until August, because of the mosquitoes. But, even with that, when on the trail, I have in my day pack a loose fitting, long sleeve, cotton white dress shirt, a mosquito net to go over my head JUST FOR THAT OCCASION, and after putting on the shirt and netting, I keep puttin' one boot/shoe in front of the other.

If I come to where I want to camp, and there are mosquitos that are more than just a nuisance, I (keep moving) set up my tent (zipped up while setting it up), (keep moving) grab my dry food bag, water bottle, a book, a pee bottle, a headlamp, and climb into the tent until the evening breeze/s pick up and the critters go away. Then, I get out of my tent and do whatever my evening chores might be.

I don't use commercial products, although things with DEET in them do work, because they are short term, have to be reapplied in order to work, and I have to wash that "film" off to feel comfortable when I get into my bag at night.
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Working...
    X