Lighten Your Load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighten Your Load

Ok, except for food, I can trail pound with a pack weighing 12-15 pounds, loaded with a week's worth of vitals, it can start out 23-25 pounds.

Consider what I am wearing to be half of what I carry: I am wearing a quick dry shirt, net briefs, quick dry rip stop shorts or boxer underwear, GOOD hiking socks. I have one of each of those in my pack to change into for the next day.

I also have a pair of rip stop pants with zippers to remove legs, bunting sweater, wool watch cap, waterproof and breathable shell jacket and pants (for rain), 1 pan to cook and eat out of, 1 insulated french press coffee mug, 1 spork, water filter, truly "basic" health and first aid:
    1. Child's toothbrush w/handle shortened
    2. Tooth powder - weighs less than paste and I take the amount I need w/powder

3. Chap stick and Corona Cream are carried in small plastic contact lens caps to save space and weight.
    4. Single edge razor blade
    5. 2-3 Lite Days mini pads (to cover puncture wounds)

(con't) emergency kit: sweing needle, thread, medium and small safety pin.
    In camp flip flops, bandana, 3/8" thick role of TP, matches, nylon cord, water bottle, book. I think that is it.

I have my 1 person tent, down sleeping bag, and accordion folding sleeping pad (which I also use for a couch, lounge chair, and whatever).

I wrap about 2' of duct tape around each of my walking sticks and around my water bottle. Duct tape is for both emergency kit and first aid kit.

Have I forgotten anything?

Fanny pack, which I wear as a tummy pack, has camera, gps, Leatherman, comp**** and map/s.

For a pillow, I wrap my bunting jacket into one of the arms of the bunting jacket

Now, with the llama, what I take is a totally different story. He can carry 80-90 pounds. The most I have had him carry, was 65 pounds, and that was all of my gear, most of my wife's gear, and 5 days of food/fuel for two of us.

I hope this sparks some interest as to how to lighten the load you pack with. Any of you got any ideas on how to lighten your loads? Let's share them.
    Last edited by Eaglebait Ranch; 03-06-2010, 11:46 PM.
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

I never thought about carrying a razor blade. I always keep a survival knife, but a razor would save a lot of room. I do always keep a good LED flashlight like this one. That and some extra batteries (although the reason I use LED is because they are bright and have a good battery life, you could also pack glow sticks). Even if you camp or just don't hike at all at night they are always great to have for emergencies.

Comment

I actually carry two flashlights: One is a tiny single led light which uses a watch battery. I carry a couple extra batteries for that flashlight (about the size of a fat nickel). This "arrangement" is lightweight and takes up minimal space.

My "reading" light is a 3 led headlamp. I wish I could find one which uses "watch" batteries, it would make my pack that much lighter.

........"it would make my pack that much lighter" is a bit of a contradiction because as my thumbnail shows, I backpack with a llama.
      Chuck
      So. Oregon
      TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
      SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Get Billy Bob a headlight, and you could travel at night too!
        And the bicycle riders have some neat 'clip on' "tail lights" that could clip onto his..... tail. :D

One thing I need to do is upgrade to a new digital camera - my old HP is barely 'pocket sized', takes four AA batteries, and is only 3.2 MegaPixels. My buddy has a new one a quarter the size with many times the memory, and is 12 MP! :eek:
        I could save some major grams.......
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
          Get Billy Bob a headlight, and you could travel at night too!
          And the bicycle riders have some neat 'clip on' "tail lights" that could clip onto his..... tail. :D
          That's a good one! :D Hadn't thought of that! :D

I also take Avery file folder labels and wrap them around the batteries I take with me. When I have to replace a battery, I take the label off. That way I know if I see a battery in storage w/o a label, it is spent and not good. I save the labels I take off to help start camp and cook fires.
          Chuck
          So. Oregon

Comment

Working...
          X