Backpacks ( sleeping bags & tents )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpacks ( sleeping bags & tents )

Ok here's the deal, I have a bum heart as most of my friends know on this forum and I'm trying to assemble a new combo pack with bag and tent and maybe some cook ware that will be 30 pounds and UNDER at full load.

Right now the truck is out of the question for the time being and I my folks gave me their ford focus, so I can drive to the camp sites and my classes so on.

Anyways that's my situation right now.

I'm hoping by Apirl I will have $500 for everything I will need.

Thanks Derek..
    My cooking site!

There are many good light-weight tents on the market now, especially if you don't camp in deep winter and thus don't need 'four season' use. In warmer weather, I carry just a light fleece blanket - much lighter and rolls up small. A small inflatable air matress is reasonably light but is much more comfy for old bones than the closed-cell pads, and rolls far smaller than the self-inflators.
    I keep my cooking needs very simple - I carry a couple GI canteens for water, and have a GI canteen cup to cook in - or even just use the MH food packets - add hot water (boiled in the GI cup), zip it closed - in ten minutes, it's chow time! Burn the packet - no food mess to clean up!
    I have a wee Coleman MAX propane stove that is pocket size minus the small cartridge. Very packable! Or cook/heat over the fire and don't need the stove!
    I have a bad back, so "Light is GOOD!"
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Derek..... I can give you all the help you want. My warm weather loaded pack weighs in under 10-15 pounds w/out food. If you want to be "extreme" my wife's pack alone weighs one pound.

To minimize the weight of "sleeping" investigate a one person tent and sleep in a bivy sack. A bivy sack will keep you plenty warm, if you are willing to sleep with a layer of clothes on, and the tent will protect you from foul weather. Accordian folding pad to sleep on.

Clothing: I will take two of the following: shorts, comfortable socks, synthetic tee shirt. I wash the clothes at the end of the day, put on clean clothes to sleep in. Hang damp clothes on outside of pack during day to dry.

Clothing, one of: Fleece/bunting jacket, waterproof/breathable shell and pants (in-climate and/or cold/breezy weather), flip-flops for camp.

I stuff my bunting jacket into one of the sleeves of the jacket for a pillow.

I carry about a 3/8" thick role of toilet paper, a childran's toothbrush w/handle cut really short, tooth powder I carry in a plastic container about 1/4 size of a 33mm film can (powder is lighter and less bulky than paste).

Other things I carry:
      2x as many "strike anywhere matches as meals I plan on heating, stored in a narrow prescription bottle. I have a striker board glued to the outside of the bottle in case there are no rocks to strike the match on.

Water filter

2 Kerchiefs: (washin' up, washin dishes, coffee filter)

2 hiking poles

I wrap 2'-3' of "orange" duct take around each of my ski poles and my water bottle. Duct taoe us very, very, very important on the trail - part of my first aid kit (if needed).

50' of nylon cord

One cooking pan, a spork, small pie cooling grate.

Leatherman, Wave: Goes on my fanny pack (tummy pack) and is indispensable.

First aid kid has needle and covered single edge razor blade.

There are probably a few other things, but if you come up with a problem or situation on the trail, what I have mentioned will fix, repair, or solve the problem you might have - if you give it some thought.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

If you need to buy any of this stuff, I suggest you look at www.sierratradingpost.com, www.backcountry.com, or www.campmor.com for choice and price. If you know exactly what you are looking for, and want to find the cheapest price (lets say Cambell's Chicken Noodle Soup), go to www.thefind.com, write in your specific, and it will come up with lots of places on the 'net and give the prices so you can find the cheapest price for your can of soup, backpack, sleeping bag, or tent.

Hope this helped.............
      Chuck
      So. Oregon
      TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
      TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
      SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

The only difference between Bigdog and me would be so minor. If you are interested in saving some coin, check out tents and sleeping bags at www.sierratradingpost.com. They carry mostly "seconds", but the prices are great.

If you get a one person tent, you may want to consider a bivy sack instead of a sleeping bag. They are lighter and less bulky than a bag, and if the nights get cool, you can climb into them with closes on and stay warm in your tent.

When I hit the wilderness, my pack holds what I need to sleep and dress for as long as I want to stay out (3-14 days or more). It does not weigh more than 15 pounds max. In it I will have:

(2 of the following): socks, ripstop shorts, synthetic tee shirts,
        (1 of the following): map, bunting jacket, waterproof and windproof shell jacket, waterproof and windproof shell pants, tent, bivy or sleeping bag, childrens size toothbrush w handle cut short, tooth powder in a small plastic container (about one forth the size of a 35mm film can), about three eighths inch thick role of toilet paper, nylon rope, rubberized bowl and spork to eat and drink out of, twice the number of "strike anywhere" matches that I figure I will need, flip flops (to wear in camp), pot, pot gripper. I also carry a first aid kit: needle, thread, single edged razer, 4-6 "Lite Days" mini pads (dressing for puncture wound).

In my fanny pack I carry my Leatherman, GPS, Camera, snack.

One of the ways I save space and weight is I tuck my bunting jacket into one of the sleeves of the jacket and use it for a pillow.

I role lots and lots of duct tape around things like each of my walking sticks and water bottles.

If you want to get lighter, let me know. I have lots of more specific things I do and am willing to share.

Hope this helps.............
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Working...
        X