Wha's In your Tool Kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wha's In your Tool Kit?

Ok..... Let's find out what we Ultra-lights have in our "Tool Kit" that we take on the trail. Maybe, if we through out some good ideas, we can get these campers to put some leather on the trail like we do.

My tool kit, for a day or longer consists of:

Duct tape: Universal fixer for anything.
    I keep about 2' of the stuff wrapped around each of my walking sticks and my ski poles. If I need to use some, I don't cut off what I need, I cut off what I need but also tear it down he center of the "strip" so I don't waist it. So, I actually have at least 4' of the stuff, if I tear it down the center.

1 medium to large safety pin - I don't know why. Probably has something to do with my mother thinking I should have a safety pin with me.

Leatherman - Yes, these are heavy, but they are the most usefull tool to carry. Worth their weight!

Matches - I always carry more matches than I need, and I carry half in one waterproof container, and half in another waterproof container, in case some get wet/whatever.

50' of nylon cord - No telling when some cord will come in handy.

I think that is it. If you want to add to this, jump in there.
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Well then we would make for some good company on the ole dusty! However I carry a small sewing kit with only black thread(small spool); needle already threaded. Super glue(tiny squeeze tube), if I blow sole. Moleskin for blisters but that is used mostly for fellow hikers who fail to break in their boots properly. A man with a blister can take care of himself...I'll readily stop for any lady on the trail! And of course water purifying tablets. Good thread here too, thanks. :D
    If ever, hope I don't fall behind Billy Bob dodging llama patties, watch out there!
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 12-03-2009, 11:46 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I think I'm getting ready to ditch the duct tape - I'm going to try some of the newer stuff that doesn't leave the residue behind. I carry a Swedish Firesteel instead of matches.

Comment

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
        Well then we would make for some good company on the ole dusty! However I carry a small sewing kit with only black thread(small spool); needle already threaded. Super glue(tiny squeeze tube), if I blow sole. Moleskin for blisters but that is used mostly for fellow hikers who fail to break in their boots properly. A man with a blister can take care of himself...I'll readily stop for any lady on the trail! And of course water purifying tablets. Good thread here too, thanks. :D
        If ever, hope I don't fall behind Billy Bob dodging llama patties, watch out there!
        The "threaded needle" and "blisters" reminded me: When a blister is noticed, I do the following. About 1/8" back from the edge of the blister, I push the needle under the skin, towards the blister. When the needle enters the blister, I pull the needle out and let the liquid in the blister out. I then decide if a band aid is needed or not (most of the time it is needed), and by the next day I am walking without worry or discomfort from the blister.

In an emergency, I have been told Super Glue is good to put over deep cuts.

I, too, also carry water tablets - just in case my water filter dies on me.

Yes, it is my experience that I carry moleskin to hand out to others, who haven't broken in their boots/shoes:rolleyes:.

See ya on the trail.....
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

A couple things I carry, especially when MC camping, is a roll of fine wire and the two tubes of JB Weld 'QuikWeld' five-minute epoxy. I had a fibreglass tentpole splinter early on a road trip once, and the fix was to wrap the splintered and split section with wire then smear the JB Weld onit. A few minutes wait, and 'voila'! I still use that pole. :D
          I carry duct tape rolled around a flashlight handle. "Gorilla Tape" is good too - it's narrower - about an inch wide on my roll, but thicker and heavier duty. Very strong stoff in a roll similar in size to a roll of black electrical tape - packs easy.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebait Ranch View Post
            In an emergency, I have been told Super Glue is good to put over deep cuts.
            Super Glue works great if band aids are not available. I can't tell you how many times I've sliced my finger open, either while using my knife, or on fishing line when trying to break it with my teeth and pulling too hard on my hands....silly but it happens. a lil dab of super glue and some pressure and the super glue bonds strong enough to hold the flesh together on the cut.

One thing that is a "must" in my tool kit is my leatherman. It was mentioned before and I wanted to add how great these tools really are. I use my leatherman more than any other tool/camping accessory I have ever bought. I even find uses for it in my day to day and my Leatherman Fuse is alway on my belt. I keep that one on my belt during trips and my Leatherman Charge ALX in my kit.
            "Survival isn't learned overnight" ~XXXMoonshineXXX~
            sigpic

Comment

Hang it up.

One of my favorites is something I actually got out of a bowhunting catalogue. It is a nylon strap that clips together lika a belt and has several loops on it with strong plastic hooks on each loop. It is great to be able to strap it around a tree and hang up a few things especially when first getting your site set up.

Comment

All good suggestions, but I will add one little tip. To make carrying duct tape easier, remove the cardboard from the center of the roll. You can't pull it all out of course, but you can pull out enough to then allow you to flatten the roll for much easier carry.

Comment

I always keep my first aid kit I got on ebay. My survival knife, a good LED flashlight, and lots of water is always important. Your best bet is to prepare for any situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Stone View Post
                    All good suggestions, but I will add one little tip. To make carrying duct tape easier, remove the cardboard from the center of the roll. You can't pull it all out of course, but you can pull out enough to then allow you to flatten the roll for much easier carry.
                    This works with our TP too!

Comment

Originally posted by Stone View Post
                      As I have mentioned on another thread, I take ONLY orange duct tape with me. I wrap as much as 2' feet of it around each of my walking sticks, and i role it around my flashlight, and any other things I can wrap it around. I take "orange" tact tape because I am a visual person, so "finding' something important becomes a lot easier knowing the item has "orange" on it.

Having the duct tape out and about, makes it easier to locate if needed. Also, by having it wrapped around things, I can take the quantity I need and not have to lug around a thick role.
                      Chuck
                      So. Oregon

Comment

I'll have to look for the orange DT - never seen it down here. I have been using the camo stuff - don't lay it down in the weeds unless you know very well where it is! Hehehe.....:D

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                          I'll have to look for the orange DT - never seen it down here. I have been using the camo stuff - don't lay it down in the weeds unless you know very well where it is! Hehehe.....:D
                          I hate mentioning it, but Wally World has it. I've actually seen Duct Tape is 2-3 fluorescent colors lately.

When Susan or I get to the last 1/8"+ of a role of TP, we role it around our fingers, put these in a zip lok bag, which we store with our backpacking stuff. That's how we deal with the cardboard roles.
                          Chuck
                          So. Oregon

Comment

Re: Wha's In your Tool Kit?

Leatherman
                            cable tips / zip ties
                            tape

If I'am going out on the boat, I like to bring a pair of pliers, a spare fuel hose, screw drivers,,,, stuff like that.

Comment

Re: Wha's In your Tool Kit?

Pelican case filled with all my camera and laptop. In the other case: tape, hand gun, knife, first aid kit, flashlight, small tool kit, and space blanket.

Comment

Working...
                              X