Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS is Great But?

Howdy,
    I'm still learning how to navigate and operate my Garmin 60CSx GPS unit. Desertrose is way more advanced than I on the device. But what happens if you run out of batteries or your unit fails in some way on the trail? Cancel your trip and backpack to a 7-11? Do you know how to use a map and compass? That's always a good back-up plan so one is always prepared. Well, it's not that hard. Here is a site that I have found useful! I have used it as a refresher many times, and you can too. Kjetil Kjernsmo teaches map & campass on the web. I've even signed up for advance courses. The old scout motto, "be prepared," will pay you back every time if you take the time to learn map & compass if your expensive GPS unit should ever fail. Thanks for looking....get camping.

http://www.learn-orienteering.org/old/ - 16k - Cached
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

This is very important, Brent. I've worked in the GPS business most of my life, after using some of the first GPS receivers during the Gulf War. I have GPS in my car and I use Garmin software on my Blackberry when I'm traveling - but the only thing I use in the backcountry is a map and compass! Navigating in the backcountry isn't about knowing where you are, it's about being able to orient yourself to the terrain around you and nothing (yet) performs that function better than a map.

Comment

I have a small less-featured-filled GPS (Magellan eXplorist 200) - good for travelling by bike or car as I don't have to bother with bulky paper maps - a glance will tell me if I am off-track. But it only goes down to highway and major street level - does not have county roads, forest roads or trails. So, I don't get complacent with it - I still carry a map of the particular area I am off-roading in or hiking/camping.
      A good feature of the GPS is leaving 'bread crumbs' so I can find my way back out by backtracking if necessary.

A GPS is a good augmentation to a map, not a replacement for it! It's also good for setting a POI (point of interest) to be able to return to at a later date.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I do use a GPS, but as a backup, I carry a topo. Whenever I stop for a rest, I'll mark the map.

Comment

Re: GPS is Great But?

Yep I highly recommend learning basic orienteering with a map and compass. I bought a GPS when I was interested in goecaching, but it eats batteries like crazy. A compass never runs out of anything.
          Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

I use rechareable AA's in my Garmin 60CSx. I bought a 4 pack of rechargeables at wally world for $20. I just make sure both are charged up before I head off. I also have a compass and topo maps. I use the UTM method of mapping. That is what they taught in the Army, so that is what I use. I like the website www.maptools.com That is where I bought all my UTM measurement tools. Geocaching was a good way to "rediscover" land navigiation skills that I had forgotten.

Comment

I've never used a GPS. I always find a piece of gear I want to upgrade instead. Or I see a trinket I want more than a GPS. I have Topos for a lot of areas up here and use them. They are cheaper and I'm a tight wad... The link you provided for compass reading is very thorough. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
              X