Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blister Prevention

Howdy,
    The absolutely number one most important rule of blister prevention: The second you feel the slightest hint of something rubbing in your shoe, STOP! Ignore your hiking partner's pleas to just keep going. Find the pebble, grass-seed, clump of dirt, grain of sand, or wrinkle in the sock. If it's a tight boot that's causing trouble, rub the inside of your boot with the blunt rounded end of a Swiss army knife to try to stretch the leather or fabric. If you know you've got a vulnerable trouble spot, like the back of your heel, put a piece of moleskin on it before you start walking. Another good way to beef up a known hot spot is by applying crazy glue (yes, crazy glue!) to the area. Crazy glue gives you an artifitial extra layer of skin and can sometimes be more comfortable than moleskin. Good luck and thanks for looking.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Crazy Glue!

Now there is an idea I can live with! Great! Now, I just have to find the lightest weighing tube I can find - kind of a "minimalist" thing
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

In a pinch, if moleskin isn't available, a thick bandaid or even duck tape can protect a tender spot!
      Another tip is to shop for new shoes or boots later inthe day, when your feet have swelled somewhat - keeps you from inadvertently getting them too tight. I get a full size large, so I can adjust fit with thicker or thinner socks. My toes appreciate a larger broader toebox too.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I shake my head at the amount of times I have given away my moleskin to others in need on the trail! Amazing!

I once met a lady backpacker, who had traveled from Maryland by plane, then bus to Saiad Valley, who was planning to walk the PCT from Saiad Valley (south of Cal/Oregon border) to Canada. I met her at the top of about a 2,000' climb up from Saiad Valley: She had traveled about 3 miles on a switchback northerly course, a major "up elevator" to a lake where through hikers stop and spend the night (nice small lake w/campsites). Yes, she was tired after that day's exercise.

She had given me her parent's email address to let them know she was safe and on the trail.

I found out a week later, in an email from her father in Maryland, she made it as far as Ashland, Oregon, no more than a short two days trail walk away from where we met. It took her 5 days to travel the 25 +/- miles to Ashland. her feet were covered with blisters.

She spent 3 days in a hotel, waiting for her feet to "recover" so she could walk out of the hotel, take a cab to the airport in Medford, and fly home..........

Obviously, she hadn't broken in her shoes/boots, wasn't ready for the first full day of a vertical trail, and didn't carry an adequate first aid kit. Major bummer!

The sad part about that "up elevator" section is there is literally the only vegetation in that section is poison oak. She had no where to stop to rest or attend to her sore feet.
        Last edited by Eaglebait Ranch; 01-27-2010, 08:49 PM.
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Sad for her Eaglebait, but if I was doing any elevator climb anywhere, poisin ivy or spiders...I'm sitting on my rump and attending blisters. Haha...everyone thinks the PCT is a piece of cake...No it's not! I only did a very short stretch of it when we(a couple of ex-hiker friends) ascended Mt. Shasta(22 years ago) from Mt. Shasta(the town). That was my first fourteener(14, 149'), but all the pain and anger slipped away when we crested that beautiful mountain! Thanks for sharing Rancher!
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
            ............but all the pain and anger slipped away when we crested that beautiful mountain!
            It is amazing what we learn about ourselves when we reach the goal! On my Facebook page I have written, "I backpack so I can better prepare for the next backpack". Part of that process is understanding the value/importance of just putting one foot in front of the other on the trail, learning your willingness to participate in Life. It is the journey, not the moment, that is important. Thanks for sharing your experience.
            Chuck
            So. Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebait Ranch View Post
              It is the journey, not the moment, that is important.
              That is en excellent statement EagleBait!! Did you just jot that down off the top of your head or have you heard that somewhere...awesome description of what being an outdoorsman/woman is all about!
              "Survival isn't learned overnight" ~XXXMoonshineXXX~
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfowler84 View Post
                That is en excellent statement EagleBait!! Did you just jot that down off the top of your head or have you heard that somewhere...awesome description of what being an outdoorsman/woman is all about!
                Hey Thanks!

Nope............ What you read came from bangin' keys on this keypad last night. But, I wouldn't in any way take claim for it's originality.
                Chuck
                So. Oregon

Comment

Working...
                X