Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Your Backpacking Style?

Howdy,

When backpacking, you want to keep weight low without jeopardizing comfort or safety. Individual views on comfort and weight, of course, can vary greatly. So REI divides core gear (bag, pack and tent) into 4 general categories. The goal: to help you build a gear system matched to your preferences.
    • Minimalist: Low weight overrides all other concerns (comfort, durability and convenience).
    • Ultralight: Gear for those willing to forego some conveniences to reduce pack weight.
    • Lightweight: Traditional gear redesigned with new-generation, low-weight materials.
    • Deluxe: For explorers who put a priority on comfort and convenience features.
    I have been a deluxe backpacker for years. And sure, I'm one to walk no more than ten miles a day, I enjoy my surroundings. But what about you? Chime in if you care too, chatting about backpacking and camping is what http://www.campingforums.com is all about. Thanks for looking.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: What is Your Backpacking Style?

I am just getting started on the backpacking. Finding out how hard it is to get the weight down. Not exactly sure yet where I stand... trying not to be a deluxe backpacker... but can't get a "smaller to pack" lighter tent just yet. Also, looked at my sleeping bag and if I remember right, it says it weighs 4 pounds. Will use my wifes sleeping bag this upcoming week as hers is lighter and smaller. Also going to most likely give up hot cooked meals this weekend for sandwiches or something else that would be light and easy with out carrying a small burner. All of this since we have to carry all the water we will need. But should give me a good idea of where I will place myself. Maybe lightweight, or ultra light since I too live in the desert and will normally always have to carry water...LOL.
    WT
    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Originally posted by West Texan View Post
      I am just getting started on the backpacking. Finding out how hard it is to get the weight down. Not exactly sure yet where I stand... trying not to be a deluxe backpacker... but can't get a "smaller to pack" lighter tent just yet. Also, looked at my sleeping bag and if I remember right, it says it weighs 4 pounds. Will use my wifes sleeping bag this upcoming week as hers is lighter and smaller. Also going to most likely give up hot cooked meals this weekend for sandwiches or something else that would be light and easy with out carrying a small burner. All of this since we have to carry all the water we will need. But should give me a good idea of where I will place myself. Maybe lightweight, or ultra light since I too live in the desert and will normally always have to carry water...LOL.
      WT
      -More knowledge. Less gear. Make your next purchase a good book on backpacking instead of a new piece of equipment.

-You don't have to eat cold meals to save weight. Rice and a packet of instant soup for flavor, for example will be lighter, calorie for calorie than sandwiches and it will be a hot meal - and that is just one really quickie idea. There are millions of ideas for backpacking..

-Groups of people sharing gear saves weight for all.
      Last edited by Mike; 10-19-2012, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Lightweight-
        I like to be comfortable while out there, but I "try" to bring only what I need.
        Unless I'm lugging a camera and camera gear.
        In Canada, the extra gear used in the cold winter and snow adds a lot of weight, but its totally worth it to BP in the winter. We tend to hike/snowshoe smaller distances.

Comment

Modernized traditional (trad). I am down to under 30 pounds with traditional equipment. I have been backpacking for over 50 years. We started with Army surplus and Trapper Nelsons, kapok sleeping bags, cast iron skillets and 2 pound cans of ravioli. We didn't know we had crummy equipment. We had great times. A plastic tarp was used for shelter. We cooked on a fire and used no stoves, sleeping pads, or tents.
          Last edited by ppine; 10-16-2013, 09:01 AM.

Comment

I have been re outfitting my gear to be more lightweight as possible.

Comment

Motorcycle camping makes one appreciate 'smaller/lighter' too. So I often use a small lightweight one-man 'bivytent', 2.5lbs and packs small. An airmatress for comfort, packs smaller and lighter than an expensive 'self-deflator'pad. If there is water at your camping location a lightweight filter makes all the water you need. If temps are moderate, I carry a GI wool blanket or a thin polyfleec blanket - far lighter and smaller than a sleepingbag.
              I only hiked once - not my cup of tea (the walking a long way bit...) and my usual MC Camping technique worked well. Being exmilitary, I also use a lot of GI gear - a simple GI canteen cup is my cookpot, and nestles with my canteen. MRE entrees or the cheap "Ready To Eat" rice meals with an added foilpack of meat makes a good hot meal. A little folding stove with fuel tabs and wood bits heats it up. Or the campfire! I like the 'minimalist' approach.
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I used to be a deluxe backpacker, now I need to get a lightweight package.

Comment

My backpacking style in the NE means I carry bare needed only essentials and set up a base camp that I'm at every night. Should work about everywhere here but the Appalachian Trail.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Ultralight, substituting experience for equipment. Plus, picking the right equipment.
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I'm trying to get outfitted for some backpacking. I'm trying to go "light within reason". I think the ultra light philosphy is a little extreme when it comes to sleeping in a bivy sack or whatever. I'm trying to get light, small items, but not the absolute lightest if it means triple the price or major tradeoffs in performance. For example, I've got a six pound (real weight, fully loaded) tent that costs $110 and will handle some weather instead of a 5 pound tent that costs $350 and would be questionable in wind.

I went with the reliable water filter, even though it's a few ounces heavier.

I did get a very light sleeping bag. 24 ounces for long-length summer weight down bag that stuffs down super-small.

Comment

Renodeserfox,

According to REI's backpacking categories I would probably consider myself an ultralight backpacker. However, that does depend on the length of my hiking trip. If it is a long trip, then definitely I am an ultralight backpacker. I hate carrying more weight than I have to for a long hike. For me, if i'm weighed down by gear, I tend to not have a very enjoyable experience. If the hike is relatively short, than I would consider myself to be a lightweight backpacker.

On extended trips, I have specific gear that I use which is very lightweight. For apparel, I have a Klymit Jacket which i use. The jacket is almost as warm as a coat because it uses argon gas as an insulator as opposed to conventional materials. This means its also really thin which i think makes it more comfortable when hiking. I also like Klymit's Static V sleeping pad. Klymit is an ultralight gear company and their sleeping pads are the lightest in their class. I really like msr stoves because they are really small and compact. There isn't much to the MSR stoves other than the gas cartridge which definitely saves on weight. My Mountainsmith sleeping bag is also really light and I save a lot of room by using the bag's compression sack. My hiking pack is not too bulky or long. With the way gear is made now days, you don't really need a super large pack unless you are planning on being away for an extended period of time.

Comment

You’ll have to decide how much clothing to pack on your own, but remember, you’re going to be stuck carrying it for a long time. Always pack an extra sweater or jacket even if you’re visiting a warm climate.

Comment

I guess I would be a deluxe backpacker working towards being lighter. Usually when on the trail I like to take my time and enjoy the scenery. I like to have all the gear I'm going to need (and usually a little more) and a couple extra things to help me enjoy down time at camp. This year though I am going to be working on eliminating unnecessary items from my pack and upgrading certain items to lighter-weight versions so I can lighten my overall carry weight.

Comment

prefer to lightweight package

Comment

Working...
                              X