Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backcountry Bear Basics

Hanging Food, Garbage, and Odorous Items

As a general rule, your food should be hung at least 10 feet off the ground and 4 feet away from the tree trunk, but check local requirements. In some parks and forests, hanging your food out of reach of bears is easy: use the cables, crossbars, or food poles and bear boxes generously provided by agencies such as the Park Service and Forest Service. Don't tie off your rope or cord on support poles because bears will sometimes climb those poles, bump the rope, see your food bag move, and make the connection.
    If you're on your own, the counterbalance technique is the best method for hanging your food from a tree. In Yosemite, it merely forestalls the inevitable, but it will foil bears almost anywhere else. The idea is to hang two food sacks of equal weight way out on a tree branch where bears can't reach them. The main problem with the counterbalance technique is finding the right tree with the right branch. Your first requirement is a "live" branch at least 15 feet above the ground. The branch must be strong enough to support the weight of your food but not sturdy enough for a bear cub to walk on. You're looking for a branch about 4 to 5 inches in diameter at the base and only 1 inch in diameter at the point where you hang our food.

With the counterbalance method, your food must be at least 10 feet above the ground and 10 feet away from the tree trunk. You want your food sacks to hang bout 5 feet below the branch.
    1. Begin by putting a rock or weight of some sort in a sock, tying a rope to it,and throwing it over the branch. Move the rope as far out toward the end of the branch as possible. Some manufacturers now make "bear bags" with a food sack on one end of the cord, and a smaller sack to hold a weight at the other end. Thick rope is less likely to tangle. Wearing gloves will prevent rope burns
    2. Your food should be in two sacks or containers of equal weight. They shouldn't weigh more than 10 pounds each because an inch-thick branch won't support more than 20 pounds.
    3. Tie one end of the rope around the neck of one sack, securing it firmly. Tie a loop in the rope near your sack for retrieving your food later. Hoist the sack all the way up to the branch by pulling on the free end of the rope. Now reach up and tie your second food sack as high up on the rope as you can. Again, tie a secure loop in the rope near the second sack. Put any excess rope into the sack.
    4. Toss the sack into position or push it up with a stick so the sacks are balanced over the branch. Don't forget: A 6-foot-tall person will need a 5-to-6-foot-long stick to hook the loop on the food sacks when it's time to retrieve them.
    Counterbalance food hanging method
    Properly executed, this technique will foil most bears, raccoons, and other late night raiders— but it's not bear-proof in places like Yosemite. It will buy you time, that's all. If you're lucky, you'll hear the bear(s) and have time to get out of your sleeping bag and take action before your food is gone.

You can also suspend a food bag on a rope strung between two trees conveniently located about 23 feet apart. You'll need 100 feet or more of 1/8-inch or larger nylon rope, a weight of some sort for throwing the rope over tree limbs, and a carabiner or short piece of nylon cord for attaching your food sack to the rope.
    1. Throw the weighted end of your rope over a limb about 17 feet high. Lower the weight to the ground. Tie off the other end of the line as high up as you can each on the base of tree No. 1.
    2. Now pull all your slack over the limb, run the rope along the ground toward tree No. 2, and set your food sack on the rope a little more than halfway between tree No. 1 and tree No. 2. Then throw the weighted end of the rope over a 17-foot-high limb on tree No. 2.
    3. Attach your food bag so it will be in the middle of the line between the trees.
    4. Hoist up your food bag and tie off the rope on tree No. 2. The food should be about 12 feet above the ground.
    This system is fairly effective with novice bears. Experienced food robbers will wonder why you didn't set up a table with silverware for them. They'll simply rip off the line from the tree trunk and feast on your food when it falls down.
    One last technique is to throw a line over a limb, suspend your food 12 feet above ground and 5 feet below the limb, and then tie the line off as high up on the tree trunk as you can reach. This technique is better than nothing with inexperienced bears, and it helps keep mice, squirrels, and other pests out of your food.
    When your food is 12 feet high,wind will disperse the scent more than if it were on the ground. Keep your food in plastic bags to reduce odors.
    Hanging food from tree branches can test your patience. It's easy to talk finding the perfect branch, but finding one in the field is another matter. You settle for a branch that looks right, but a tangle of other branches is in the way. Your aim is a little off and you're snagged on the wrong branch. You try again and this toss falls short. Then you hit the branch. Curses. When you finally manage to toss your rope over a limb, it's too close to the tree trunk and little nubs on the limb prevent you from moving the rope out where it should be. Reading step-by-step instructions for hanging food is far easier than doing it in the field; however, you need to be as persistent as the bears that might try getting your food. Good luck, and yes I have had a couple of trips foiled by "Yogi: smarter than the average bear!" It's not fun returning home sooner than you had planned. So good luck. Thanks for looking, in advance.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Backcountry Bear Basics

Ok folks I am a noob to the backcountry skiing scene here in AK. I need some info on where to go and if there are any groups to go out with as I do not wish to travel alone.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
    belarus wife

Comment

AK Backcountry skiing

Originally posted by D.psync View Post
      Ok folks I am a noob to the backcountry skiing scene here in AK. I need some info on where to go and if there are any groups to go out with as I do not wish to travel alone.
      Man, am I envious of you = Alaska! Anyway, I just did a google search: AK backcountry skiing.

It popped up lots of sites to start a search for where to go backcountry skiing.

Suggestion: If there is a ski shop in your area, tell them your experience level, what you want to do, and they should be able to turn you on to folks who will help you. It is my experience that ski shops don't make money if they don't sell/rent equipment, so they bend over backwards to help.

Hope that helps, some........ If you find something, let us/me know. Backcountry skiing in Alaska sounds like a plan I could look at!
      Chuck
      So. Oregon
      TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
      TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
      SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Yep, good suggestion. And, down here anyways, the 'outfitter' shops often have their own 'packaged' excursions that can get you into it, with an experiencd person or three along to help you get squared away. Once you are comfortable with the basic gear and techniques, then you get your maps and make your own way.
        Down here it's hiking, canoeing or kayaking, etc. Not so much snow here...... :D
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Back on topic some more bear advice, if you are going to be hiking in the back country it is always smart to have some sort of bear deturrent device. Bear Mace is very popular with many hikers and is probably the safest form. A side arm, (I would recommend atleast a .40 cal handgun) is the most effective form, but can be lethal and is frowned upon by some of the animal rights activists. One tool I use is a "bear bell." It is clipped on your pack, or belt loop and is constantly ringing while you are in motion. This will prevent any sudden surprises and lets any potentially life threatening animal know you are coming well before the point of contact.
          "Survival isn't learned overnight" ~XXXMoonshineXXX~
          sigpic

Comment

Bear scat identification.....

Black Bear - contains berries, seeds and other vegetable matter......

Grizly Bear - contains little bells and smells 'peppery'........

:D

We use the hanging bag method too. Our blackies don't bother us, but they can get pretty big. Problem is most trees here are tall pines, that don't lend themselves well to hanging from. We can usually find some hardwood hammocks though.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfowler84 View Post
              ......... One tool I use is a "bear bell." It is clipped on your pack, or belt loop and is constantly ringing while you are in motion. This will prevent any sudden surprises and lets any potentially life threatening animal know you are coming well before the point of contact.
              Both my llama and my dog have a bell dangling from their collar.

Twice, before callin' it a night and climbing into my tent, I have forgotten to take the bell off of my llama: Waking up in the middle of the night to hear a rhythmic ringing of his bell......... about 4 seconds of silence, then more ringing - lasting for 10-15 minutes. Reason? Cud chewing :cool:
              Chuck
              So. Oregon
              TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
              TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
              SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Hey hey now, yall poke as much fun at my bear bell as you want...88% of all bear attacks are caused by "surprise reaction". Walking along not making any noise and you happen to startle a bear, whether black or grizzly, and they are more prone to attack than run. What is everyone's opinion on the topic of how to react to the two different species when they are encountered. With black bears it is oftened recommended to make yourself to look as big as possible and attempt to intimidate the bear into backing off. It is also recommended when encountering a grizzly to seem as little of a threat as possible...the reason you were told as a child to "play dead" if you come across a bear. Agree, disagree....comments or insight?
                "Survival isn't learned overnight" ~XXXMoonshineXXX~
                sigpic

Comment

With my size, intimidating a Blackie MIGHT work, unless it's a sow with cubs - then I'm lunch! :eek:

I truly don't know about a Grizzly - hope I never meet one!

Comment

Working...
                  X