• Show
Clear All

• DIY Camp Kitchen

In the Does Anyone Use a Camp Kitchen thread
    http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...-kitchen/page3

I found myself high jacking the thread after getting a old folk's walker;

Posts pertaining to my project
    Page 3 post 31
    I believe the cooking surface stability and height issue may have found a solution;
    ...at some time in the past, I saw a post (on another forum) about using a non wheeled walker to support a cooking surface (light, strong, folds, adjustable and easy to transport).

Over this last week I was called upon to help clear a condo because a relative had to go into an old folks home. I ran across a (no longer used) old walker in the garage which will now be repurposed into a cooking surface (with the addition of some Lexan)... (Just what I need, another project...).
    At its highest adjustment, the walker is just slightly higher than our kitchen counter (about 37") and is, if anything, more stable than even the Jeep tailgate, or a well abused picnic table...

When I get some time to customize I will post some pics...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-11-2016, 01:49 PM. Reason: pics to date;
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: DIY Camp Kitchen

Page 4 post 32
    Did a bit of conceptualization and looking at optimum shelf sizing last night...

Here is a first run concept; I figure on using EMT (conduit) to stiffen the top and bottom shelf side to side, right now an estimate for the top and lower shelves is that they will probably be around 36" wide... finished shelf sizes to come later.

(Edit; the more load that I put on the shelves the more wobbly the walker becomes; with roughly 30 pounds on it, it is more wobbly than a tailgate but less wobbly than the tray table, a tight relatively new picnic table is more stable.

Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Page 4 post 34
      I decided to stick with the conduit and Lexan (need to shrink the Lexan pile a bit...)
      Made a trip to the home center and got 10 feet of half inch EMT and 4 more hose clamps.
      (Hose clamps are your friend when prototyping tube toys).
      Cut the EMT into 34 inch pieces (34 inch wide shelves look like a pretty good fit for me).

I need to decide on what to use to stiffen the center shelf; leaning toward 1/2 inch extruded aluminum angle.

Here is the walker with the EMT shelf stiffeners in place;

Enjoy!
      Attached Thumbnails

Comment

Page 4 post 36
        Originally posted by tplife;
        Joe, will it still be collapsible?

Yes. The finished project (at this time) will/should have 3 removable (without tools) shelves, one or 2 plastic tote drawers (middle shelf) and possibly a wash basin. If the shelves are not installed will still be useable as a collapsible/folding walker (without any holes or permanently attached hardware/modifications).

... need to order a collapsible bowl to use as a (top shelf, without stove) washbasin/sink.
        I'm considering adding a paper towel holder and a trash bag holder of some sort is almost a definite requirement, although not yet figured out.

... trying to get this (mostly) done before Memorial Day weekend!

Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-11-2016, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
          Page 4 post 36
          Originally posted by tplife;
          Joe, will it still be collapsible?

Yes. The finished project (at this time) will/should have 3 removable (without tools) shelves, one or 2 plastic tote drawers (middle shelf) and possibly a wash basin. If the shelves are not installed will still be useable as a collapsible/folding walker (without any holes or permanently attached hardware/modifications).

... need to order a collapsible bowl to use as a (top shelf, without stove) washbasin/sink.
          I'm considering adding a paper towel holder and a trash bag holder of some sort is almost a definite requirement, although not yet figured out.

... trying to get this (mostly) done before Memorial Day weekend!

Enjoy
          Attached Thumbnails
          OK in response to the questions you asked on the other thread:

Paper towel holder-Gerrymander a holder using the walker legs and a bungee cord.
          Garbage holder -Attach some carriage bolts to one side by drilling holes in the walker and then using plastic bags w/ handles to hold it.
          Utensil holder- Is there an IKEA near you? If so they sell a utensil rack that is supposed to hang on the wall. I'm sure you can play w/it to place it as you like. Or drill holes in the walker and place "S" hooks in them.

Your unit is coming along nicely.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Thanx!
            I have been a bit remiss with changes (been playing musical vehicles/got a new to me 2003 explorer sport)...while waiting for the collapsible bowl/sink (it will determine to some extent the width of the top shelf).

I have also been thinking of doing some kind of hot pot holder/place to set a pot/pan immediately after removing it from the stove.
            I'm thinking recessed sink/bowl on one end stove in the center and hot pot place on the other end...

I found that an old Rubbermaid silverware tray fits the tote drawers quite well.

Enjoy!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-18-2016, 11:29 AM.

Comment

While in the home center yesterday, I checked out the available trash bag, tool hooks and paper towel holders; nothing really struck my fancy.
              after returning home I grabbed a small piece of 3/4"sched 40 PVC and made a short trip to the drill press.
              A 1" hole saw and 4 passes was all that was necessary (along with a bit of pocket knife trimming, deburring and fuzz removal) to make a paper towel holder ...

Looks like it will function well for normal towels and wash rags too; might have to do a repeat for the other side.... and maybe the back.

Enjoy!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-19-2016, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                While in the home center yesterday, I checked out the available trash bag, tool hooks and paper towel holders; nothing really struck my fancy.
                after returning home I grabbed a small piece of 3/4"sched 40 PVC and made a short trip to the drill press.
                A 1" hole saw and 4 passes was all that was necessary (along with a bit of pocket knife trimming, deburring and fuzz removal) to make a paper towel holder ...

Looks like it will function well for normal towels and wash rags too; might have to do a repeat for the other side.... and maybe the back.

Enjoy!
                Looking really good, HJ!
                Are you going to take it out this weekend?

Just a thingie I've found useful for hanging kitchen towels and such: a bar towel holder. This is not exactly the type I use (when I can find it because a man likes to use it around the house when we entertain and nevah puts it back where he finds it) but it'll give ya a good idea:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/meta...FUZbhgod2twJ7Q

The version I use doesn't need to be screwed into anything. Kinda similar to a metal keychain that hangs off a belt hoop.
                Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-19-2016, 10:06 AM.
                2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                  Looking really good, HJ!
                  Are you going to take it out this weekend?

Just a thingie I've found useful for hanging kitchen towels and such: a bar towel holder. This is not exactly the type I use (when I can find it because a man likes to use it around the house when we entertain and nevah puts it back where he finds it) but it'll give ya a good idea:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/meta...FUZbhgod2twJ7Q

The version I use doesn't need to be screwed into anything. Kinda similar to a metal keychain.

I am hoping to (assuming the collapsible bowl gets here. and the weather cooperates (we have a history of monsoons sometimes with hail and often snow/gropple (tiny snowballs out of the sky).
                  However I am having camping withdrawals and may go in any case...

That towel gripper looks interesting; I did get some refrigerator towels (with a tail that attaches to the fridge handle) from the same source as the walker, and I am planning an trying them too.

Enjoy!

Comment

http://http://www.gizmag.com/when-na...camping/26799/For paper towels i made a larger version of this. it keeps the towels clean and dry. I just hang it from a shower hook
                    Last edited by Denni2; 05-19-2016, 12:28 PM. Reason: Double post

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                      http://http://www.gizmag.com/when-na...camping/26799/For paper towels i made a larger version of this. it keeps the towels clean and dry. I just hang it from a shower hook
                      http://www.gizmag.com/when-nature-ca...camping/26799/
                      What kind of bottle did you use? Maybe a juice bottle w/ a wide mouth?
                      2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                        http://www.gizmag.com/when-nature-ca...camping/26799/
                        What kind of bottle did you use? Maybe a juice bottle w/ a wide mouth?
                        I don't remember what it was. I purchased a drink with a wide mouth and dumped the drink out. I uses a 2 gallon freezer bag. I remove the cardboard tube from the paper towels. We have been using it for a few years and we really like it is easy to use, keeps the paper towels clean and dry. It also is easy to store because it will smooch down to pack.

Comment

It also is easy to store because it will smooch down to pack.
                          I love technical terms! :winktongue:

Comment

I don't remember what it was. I purchased a drink with a wide mouth and dumped the drink out. I uses a 2 gallon freezer bag. I remove the cardboard tube from the paper towels. We have been using it for a few years and we really like it is easy to use, keeps the paper towels clean and dry. It also is easy to store because it will smooch down to pack.
                            You and I pack a little differently 😊
                            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                            – E. B. White

Comment

I am going to try the toilet paper-2 liter dispenser (thinking 7-up, maybe Mountain Dew; for the green bottle), I have thought it a neat Idea for quite some time...
                              Haven't found a bottle big enough to try it with paper towels though (didn't figure that paper towels would dispense from the inside of the roll without tearing, will try it next time I get a package of paper towels. What brand do you use?)... got any fotos?
                              I expect that this kitchen project will be mostly used under a canopy so rain protection is not something that I have spent a lot of time considering...conventional backup (wringable) towels & wash cloths will be available.

For backpacking, don't do this much any more, I went microfiber on the towel.

Enjoy!
                              Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-20-2016, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X