• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anyone use a camp kitchen?

Looking forward to pictures, should make a good base for your stove

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
      I believe the cooking surface stability and height issue may have found a solution;
      ...at some time in the past, I saw a post (on another forum) about using a non wheeled walker to support a cooking surface (light, strong, folds, adjustable and easy to transport).

Over this last week I was called upon to help clear a condo because a relative had to go into an old folks home. I ran across a (no longer used) old walker in the garage which will now be repurposed into a cooking surface (with the addition of some Lexan)... (Just what I need, another project...).
      At its highest adjustment, the walker is just slightly higher than our kitchen counter (about 37") and is, if anything, more stable than even the Jeep tailgate, or a well abused picnic table...

When I get some time to customize I will post some pics...

Enjoy!
      Sounds like a good repurposing to come.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Did a bit of conceptualization and looking at optimum shelf sizing last night...

Here is a first run concept; I figure on using EMT (conduit) to stiffen the top and bottom shelf side to side, right now an estimate for the top and lower shelves is that they will probably be around 36" wide... finished shelf sizes to come later.

(Edit; the more load that I put on the shelves the more wobbly the walker becomes; with roughly 30 pounds on it, it is more wobbly than a tailgate but less wobbly than the tray table, a tight relatively new picnic table is more stable.

Enjoy!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-09-2016, 08:30 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Standard closet shelving available at home-product stores seems to fit well. Used by permission from RhinoDave:

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I decided to stick with the conduit and Lexan (need to shrink the Lexan pile a bit...)
            Made a trip to the home center and got 10 feet of half inch EMT and 4 more hose clamps.
            (Hose clamps are your friend when prototyping tube toys).
            Cut the EMT into 34 inch pieces (34 inch wide shelves look like a pretty good fit for me).

I need to decide on what to use to stiffen the center shelf; leaning toward 1/2 inch extruded aluminum angle.

Here is the walker with the EMT shelf stiffeners in place;

Enjoy!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-09-2016, 03:32 PM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Joe, will it still be collapsible?
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I recently purchased the Bass Pro kitchen & felt it was of very good quality. However, it did arrive damaged & it was also missing the pantry bag. Customer service responded within an hour of emailing them. Very good service I felt. Once I saw it in real life, I decided it was too large for me & weighed about 10# more than I was really comfortable lifting on my own. I am limited to 20# due to back issues. Having the additional flip up table on the left side was not as important to me as it may be with a family.

I then purchased the Coleman Deluxe Kitchen which is about 24#-still over my weight limit, but I feel comfortable with it. The basic frame appears identical to the Bass Pro (BP) to me. The sinks are identical. I would say the Coleman lower shelf is not as heavy duty as the BP. The Coleman main work table stands about 1.5" taller than the BP. Either height was comfortable for me, but I am 5'1". The Coleman stove/cooking extension is about 1" longer & wider than the BP & it actually is removable when packing it up whereas the BP did not for me, but it may be possible. I found both kitchens packed up about the same in dimensions. On my Coleman kitchen, I was a little disappointed that the metal bracket that holds the two baskets was soldered/welded unevenly. Once the baskets are up, you can't really notice it fortunately. I haven't used the Coleman kitchen yet, but plan to Memorial Weekend. I called the Coleman outlet closest to me, spoke to the manager & she offered me the Coleman Kitchen for $89.98, so $40.00 less than the regular price (which is also the sale price when it is on sale). I was very pleased with this!
                Hope to camp in my new Columbia Fall River 8 Instant Tent in 2017

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                  Joe, will it still be collapsible?

Yes. The finished project (at this time) will/should have 3 removable (without tools) shelves, one or 2 plastic tote drawers (middle shelf) and possibly a wash basin. If the shelves are not installed will still be useable as a collapsible/folding walker (without any holes or permanently attached hardware/modifications).

... need to order a collapsible bowl to use as a (top shelf, without stove) washbasin/sink.
                  I'm considering adding a paper towel holder and a trash bag holder of some sort is almost a definite requirement, although not yet figured out.

... trying to get this (mostly) done before Memorial Day weekend!

Enjoy!

EDIT:
                  Rather than continue to highjack this thread I will start one in the DIY section...

In the mean time what camp kitchen features do users here find especially desirable?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-11-2016, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CampinLady View Post
                    I recently purchased the Bass Pro kitchen & felt it was of very good quality. However, it did arrive damaged & it was also missing the pantry bag. Customer service responded within an hour of emailing them. Very good service I felt. Once I saw it in real life, I decided it was too large for me & weighed about 10# more than I was really comfortable lifting on my own. I am limited to 20# due to back issues. Having the additional flip up table on the left side was not as important to me as it may be with a family.

I then purchased the Coleman Deluxe Kitchen which is about 24#-still over my weight limit, but I feel comfortable with it. The basic frame appears identical to the Bass Pro (BP) to me. The sinks are identical. I would say the Coleman lower shelf is not as heavy duty as the BP. The Coleman main work table stands about 1.5" taller than the BP. Either height was comfortable for me, but I am 5'1". The Coleman stove/cooking extension is about 1" longer & wider than the BP & it actually is removable when packing it up whereas the BP did not for me, but it may be possible. I found both kitchens packed up about the same in dimensions. On my Coleman kitchen, I was a little disappointed that the metal bracket that holds the two baskets was soldered/welded unevenly. Once the baskets are up, you can't really notice it fortunately. I haven't used the Coleman kitchen yet, but plan to Memorial Weekend. I called the Coleman outlet closest to me, spoke to the manager & she offered me the Coleman Kitchen for $89.98, so $40.00 less than the regular price (which is also the sale price when it is on sale). I was very pleased with this!
                    Good review on the Coleman:glasses:

I don't use the sink on my kitchen to clean dishes because all the campgrounds I've used the kitchen at to date have a utility sink near the bathrooms. My sink is removable and made of flexible plastic so I just use it to cool melons.

What kind of carry bag does the kitchen come with? Is it metal or fabric based? Certainly looks sturdier and more storage efficient than the one ( Cabela's deluxe) I have.
                    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

It looks very cool!

Comment

The Coleman camp kitchen has a lot going fo it and has been widely used with success for a quite a while.
                        Being somewhat new to camp kitchens I can recommend them over picnic tables (typically low), tailgates traditional and they vary widely in height) or stumps (traditional, often low), the ground (very low) or rocks (too low and usually unstable).

If folks do significant non campfire cooking; a (preferably near counter height; approx. 36 inches) folding table to use as a work surface at a minimum has significant advantages over the alternatives.

I used to use both tray tables and a roll up table as well as tailgates; however, a stable counter height work surface is highly preferable, IMO.

Enjoy!
                        Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-04-2016, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                          Good review on the Coleman:glasses:

I don't use the sink on my kitchen to clean dishes because all the campgrounds I've used the kitchen at to date have a utility sink near the bathrooms. My sink is removable and made of flexible plastic so I just use it to cool melons.

What kind of carry bag does the kitchen come with? Is it metal or fabric based? Certainly looks sturdier and more storage efficient than the one ( Cabela's deluxe) I have.
                          The Coleman kitchen is considered self-contained as it folds up, but I did not get it to fit back together - stored with the folded top & main countertop. It has carry handles attached. I actually purchased a large fabric grill cover ($15 at Walmart), not vinyl, and keep the kitchen stored in this making sure the table handles are easily accessible. I use 2 bungee cords to hold it on snugly. I also can then cover the kitchen, minus the wire cooking top, so it doesn't get wet when it rains while camping as I don't use a canopy at this time.
                          Hope to camp in my new Columbia Fall River 8 Instant Tent in 2017

Comment

Working...
                          X