We're surrounded!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: We're surrounded!

I tent camped at a KOA in Orlando once...... ONCE! Never been to a KOA since. Aweful experience, and horridly expensive. "Parking lot", yep, exactly. And being stuck between the RV dump site and the bath house, and next to the back fence next to a sports field that left their stadium lights on ALL night...... NEVER AGAIN!!

Give me a tent only site, or a motorcycle only camp site.
    Building my Conversion Van into a small Class B, but will avoid the Big Rigs! The E150 will get me into places those buses and 'mobile homes' can't go.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

The main thing I have noticed with camping among RV's is #1 - the noise - can't hear the forest but aircons and stuff instead. And the dogs.

Comment

Unless I'm going to a clipper rally, I tend to stay away from campgrounds with any hookups. That is usually enough to keep the worst of the RVers away. I also spend hours and hours studying the campground map, satellite images, etc. to determine the best campsite(s). If I can reserve ahead of time, I do, to ensure I get those perfect spots.

When picking my site, I look at the following in order:

1. Distance from other campsites - I look for a site that has a good distance from all other sites

2. Pathway/Trail passing the campsite - I try to stay away from these unless the trail/path is behind the parking pad

3. Water spigots/bathrooms - I try to find a spot with these a reasonable distance away just in case I need them; but far enough away so people aren't walking through or past my site all day and night

4. Direct access to lake/river/creek - I don't want to have to walk the dogs past other campsites to get to the water, etc.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Most of the places we go are majority RV campers and RVers. Since we spend a lot of time away from the site DOING stuff, it's not so bad.

I managed to get a horrific stomach bug when we camped at St Joseph Peninsula last year. It was the ONLY time I ever wished we had an RV, because fire ants crawling on my legs while I'm dying (because the bathroom was too far away) was NOT fun. At all.
          Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
          Nights under the stars:
          2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
          2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

I love the convenience of my own bathroom. I do tend to use the campground facilities during the day as much as possible, but when you've got to go at 3 a.m., it's really nice not having to bundle up in a jacket/coat, find a flashlight, walk halfway through the campground, try to balance the flashlight in the stall, wash your hands in freezing cold water, realize you forgot a towel so walk back to the campsite with soaking wet and cold hands, find a towel and dry your hands, unbundle yourself from the jacket and get back into bed - which is now cold...
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

You dont have a headlamp? When I first got one, I couldnt believe I waited so long.

Comment

Nope. I have not been able to overlook my dorkiness in a headlamp. I have many many many different flashlights, lanterns, etc., but not a headlamp in the group.

Comment

Dorkiness isnt in the light, its a state of mind.

I'm a veritable Ninja! in a headlamp. I'm so cool I can hardly stand myself. Others see me wearing a headlamp and go buy their own. Its all about attitude and outlook.

They're REALLY handy also.

I got tired of putting my light in my teeth all the time.

Comment

i don't know. It's a "growing up in the 70's" kind of thing...

To this day, I don't wear floods, helmet while on a bicycle, plaid pants, socks with sandals, blue eyeshadow, nor flashlights (or beer cans) strapped to my head.

Comment

Well, I'm right there with you on the plaid pants, blue eye shadow, bike helmets, and beer cans on ones head. I dont use any of that stuff.

A light on your head is beyond all that. Cavers use them. Ninja Carpenters use them. High speed operators use them. Alaskan dog mushers use them. All the cool people.

People rag on me for using knee pads when I work, but often they are asking if I have a spare set when doing work on a roof or on rocky ground in a crawl space. I'll wear them all day and if I only truly needed them for ten minutes figure it was worthwhile. I'd be crippled if I didnt have them. If it works, I'm in.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                        You dont have a headlamp? When I first got one, I couldnt believe I waited so long.
                        This. I use one for crawling around in attics and when I got my first one I couldn't believe I waited so long. As it turns out I am awesome no matter what I look like.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

I'm not sure I'm believing this. Folks thought they looked awesome in spandex pants and leisure suits. :whistle:

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                            I'm not sure I'm believing this. Folks thought they looked awesome in spandex pants and leisure suits. :whistle:
                            I could see having a problem with headlamps if someone was also wearing spandex pants and/or a leisure suit. In any other case, the usefulness of a headlamp transcends any sort of fashion statement.

Comment

I camp a lot in state parks. When I have to travel (for work or whatever) and don't really want to rough it, a state park is almost like a hotel. Except cheaper and a lot more fun. Most of them have an area for primitive camping which is separate from the area RV's can go to. Most of the time I have the primitive campground all to myself. Most of these primitive campgrounds have power and/or water at some centrally located point (e.g. a bath house), so if you need that, you won't miss out. If you want to mingle, listen for the sound of crying babies and you will find the RV'ers :-) There's something about an RV that makes the baby cry a lot.
                              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                              X