Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camping furniture and usefull or not accessories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping furniture and usefull or not accessories...

I like directors chairs. I have the Coleman model thats the same as cabelas except it has powder coated rectangular metal vs round tubes. I also carry another one a Pico chair that folds up very small. I just ordered a gravity chair...am gonna strap it on my trailer w my cooler.

Comment

I used the short director style chairs for years,they seemed to promote a more erect posture than the cheap wallymart camping chairs (seemed, at the time, to be better for some back issues).
      The wooden ones eventually had canvas seat issues (Think that I still have one left).
      The metal frame ones, had several variants, all without shelves or pockets, also worked pretty well.
      I liked the way they distribute their weight along a rail because it looked to be easier on the fabric tent floor and the tarp canopy floor...
      They do pack differently into the vehicles but I don't see that as either a pro or con.

I am currently being tempted by the recliner gravity chair...but am getting quite short of room in the transport vehicle.

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I use 2 of these Kermit chairs for camping...

They pack small and are nice enough to use as spare chairs at home. Made in Tennessee, they have a following in the motorcycle world.

Comment

Yeah. I always felt they were more comfortable and we still have some of the old wooden ones in a few deer stands. The Pico style is interesting in how compact they become but they are pricey currently. I was in the same place about the gravity chair....lack of storage/transport issues....i decided to just tie it on to my trailer by the cooler in front & leaning back over the trailer...i have lots of paracord and rope.

Comment

Those Kermit chairs look like a pretty good twist on the classic directors chair. I may give them a second look, depending on how many of the wallymart chairs bite the dust this camping season, the heavy duty ones usually last much better; (I tend to stock up on wallymart camping chairs when on sale).

...So far, I have managed to avoid hauling a gear trailer or roof rack, built/modified several for different folks, just never wanted one for myself... keeping the gear pile small enough to fit in the back of an old Jeep CJ or small short bed Ranger (Ford) pickup helps control my tendency to accumulate good things.

Enjoy!
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

The Kermits are nice chairs but they sink into the ground easily....check out the Pico style....i got one from GCI, they arent cheap but they are well made and the crossbar on the bottoms help in soft soil.
              I travel on motorcycle....a lil trailer is the only option that works for me. Its amazing how much i can fit inside that trailer.

Comment

Thanks for the Pico info.

Originally posted by cunningman View Post
                Its amazing how much i can fit inside that trailer.

...That's what I am afraid of... My load out for extended camping is a bit less than 800 pounds... in a quarter ton (500 pound) rated Jeep, it compresses the springs pretty well (not close to the bump stops though), the half ton pickup has no issues with it.... quickie weekenders typically run near a couple of hundred pounds of gear & supplies.

Enjoy!

Comment

Yeah, the Pile does tend to grow...Im the guy who always has whats needed packed somewhere on my bike, that has carried over to the trailer.
                  Its difficult for me to Not add to the pile...anytime i see something that I might need or could use or is new and interesting. My mission this week is to unload everything & attempt to pare it down....not sure i really need to carry two solder guns...its gonna be rough.

Comment

My pile changes but rarely gets much smaller...
                    ..later this spring, I will look at & replenish (batteries, iodine tabs, med kit etc.) then remove the non essentials that I didn't use in the last 2 years.

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-19-2016, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
                      I use 2 of these Kermit chairs for camping...

They pack small and are nice enough to use as spare chairs at home. Made in Tennessee, they have a following in the motorcycle world.
                      That chair looks like an old white guy at the beach with his black socks...
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                        That chair looks like an old white guy at the beach with his black socks...
                        Haha, that's funny! I'll have to try and see it as a skinny girl in a black bikini and black boots, but basically it just looks like a chair. The reason for the metal leg extensions on the short wooden legs is to make the packed size short enough to fit into a saddle bag.

The Pico chair has a weight limit of 250 pounds, which excludes me.

Comment

Working...
                        X