• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding the best dispersed camping...

Facts about us:
    1. We are two adults and a 6-year-old girl
    2. We don't do KOA or any other "RV resort" -- that's not camping
    3. We have a 25" (when open) pop-up/tent trailer, and a late-model Toyota Tacoma 4x4.
    4. We plan to flip the axle and beef up the tires on this trailer soon. For now, it has car clearance and we creep along unimproved dirt roads to avoid damaging anything.
    5. We prefer the seclusion and unadulterated beauty of established dispersed camping sites
    6. We prepare for 2-3 days dry camping (30+ gal. water, two LP tanks, and two 12V RV batteries)
    7. We live in the SLC area, and would gladly drive up to 6 hours for a weekend trip; up to 8 hours for long weekend.

I know many people are not keen to share their favorite dispersed campsite at the risk of them becoming too popular. If you have specific sites you're willing to share with me, please PM me to prevent the masses from finding them. What I am really looking for here are tips for finding these sites myself. All the dispersed camping I've done so far has been the result of word-of-mouth referral. It doesn't seem that my friends and family are aware of places I haven't already visited.

I have purchased some the Benchmark Road & Recreation Atlases for Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming; but it still seems difficult to find places to camp. I can see BLM and Forest Serice land on these maps, but how do I know if there are any sights to see and places to camp near them.

Anyone have any other tips or know of some really good places to visit withing a few hours of SLC?

Thanks,
    BasketCases
Working...
X