CB Radio Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB Radio Photo

So here's the cb we bought: it's a Cobra 19 DX. It's very small and compact with a range of 10 miles. The antenna is a "Firestik" 4' model. Since we plan to camp this year on blm land away from everyone if we become marooned for some reason this is our way out. Should have done this years ago.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Good call, looks great.
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

Comment

This is really something that I need to do.

Comment

it makes sense anywhere you leave the beaten path.
        2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
        2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
        I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

CB Radio Photo

Hey everyone, thanks for the comments! It's great on the freeways too, those truckers will tell you who their dating and where the smokies are!
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

one must be careful because the trucker may be talking about your date:D
            2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
            2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
            I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Just remember - CB radios and radar detectors are good tools - but Smokey knows the tricks too - DON'T rely on them to avoid a ticket.

Been thinking of cobbling up a CB for the bike - I have a small CB that would work nicely. I'd need to get the helmet modded for 'sound' though, and make the radio rain-proof.
              I usually carry a pocket-sized GMRS/FRS radio when on the road or in the boonies - but range is very limited and it's not nearly as popular as CB. Good for a small group to maintain comms on the road or in the field though.
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

CB radios are cool. You can usually find help if you are in range of a major highway. All Big Rigs have CB radios.

I am an Amateur Radio operator. Ham radios have a much longer range than CB radios because you have access to the local repeaters which have a range of 30 or more miles depending on terrain and conditions.
                You have to take a written test to get a Amateur Radio license. The beginning test is pretty easy to pass. A single band radio which which gives you access to the local repeaters costs about as much a good CB radio. In the event of an emergency there is usually someone monitoring the local repeaters or Simplex frequencies. You can usually find help. Cell phones do not always have a tower near by so you will have no service when you are in remote places.

I am not trying to push Ham Radio on anyone. I Just thought it would be a nice alternative when Cell phones do not work.

If anyone is interested in Amateur Radio you can contact the American Radio Relay League at Http://www.arrl.org for more information.

Harry

Comment

Working...
                X