The Importance of Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Importance of Pictures

Over the years, I can't count the number of times a modest stack of photos in a little album (I guess these days it's more likely pixels on a phone) shared with a co-worker sparked an interest in camping. One fellow I knew worked in a dreary cubicle, you know the kind, with moveable wall panels, and would hang his very best photos from camping trips to spruce up his work place.
    These never failed to stimulate a conversation, often in the Springtime when people are hankering to get out and about, and often among married female co-workers interested in family friendly activities.
    Time and expense are usually the two obstacles raised, but a car camping overnighter at a local campground in fair weather require neither. Needed items they don't have can be borrowed or rented.

Being an experienced camper, you can offer advice on where to go, when to go to avoid crowds, and what to take.

This I've found, can build up a unique sense of community at work.

Long, long ago I went on a bike ride around Yosemite Valley (YNP is only 50 miles away and this was a day trip) and took snap shots with an Olympic Stylus, put the prints in a 4x6 mini album from Woolworth's (see how long ago this was?) for passing around. Shortly after another day trip, this time with several friends whose curiosity was piqued---one with a pick up truck volunteered to take the bicycles---was made, followed up with a pizza and beer at Camp Curry. Then another, larger trip as more joined up followed with a grand picnic on the banks of the Merced. next Summer it turned into an overnight camping trip and remained an annual "event" for several seasons.

These things are fun and make life interesting---they certainly provide stories to share!
    Does anyone here have similar camping experiences?
Working...
X