No announcement yet.

How bad are air mattresses for camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad are air mattresses for camping?

In terms of them sucking the heat out of you? At the end of October I'm going camping with a friend. She's only gone camping a couple of times, and had bad experiences (the person she was with didn't like to have a campfire, so they had no fire once it got dark, she was too cold, scared, etc.). So I'm wanting to make this is comfortable and fun as possible, so she'll enjoy it. We're camping in a campground so we can carry tons of crap with us. I wanted to use an air mattress for us to sleep on, so we won't have any problem with comfort..but I've heard those can make you cold. Where we're going the temp varies between upper 60's to mid 40's that time of year. If we have enough blankets to put between us and the air mattress, would it be fine, or will we be freezing? It's a queen size air mattress, so it's pretty big. We'd both have sleeping bags as well. Please any suggestions would be great! Also any suggestions for making this a fun trip would be welcome as well.

Re: How bad are air mattresses for camping?

I've never been cold with an air mattress, and the temperatures that you mention shouldn't create a problem. The air in the mattress warms up from your body, and it would be much colder to lay on the ground, in my opinion, where the cold radiates from below. The benefits of an air mattress outweigh any potential problems, and I think you'll be happy with your choice, as will your friend.

I camped for years with just a pad, but as I've gotten older, I've found the air mattress makes all the difference to a good night's sleep. I'd say, go for it!

Comment

This was a "hot button" issue at one time on this forum. I would at the very least use a space blanket between you and the mattress, plus some blankets or extra sleeping bag. I think the best thing you can do is set up your sleeping arrangement the weekend before and try it out. Setup your tent and air mattress outside and sleep on it the weekend before, if needed make the proper adjustments That way you can ensure your friend is gonna be comfortable. "If you want to pass the test, you gotta do your home work"
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Temperatures in the 40s can be pretty darn cold temperatures for sleeping, when you're laying very still and giving off body heat. That air mattress will do its job of sucking the heat out of you, and you'll not sleep as well as if you had a self-inflating air mattress. It will never warm up from the heat of your body, just the opposite occurs, i.e.; you will cool down due to its air-tube construction and the cold air around it. An electric blanket would be a great way to block this effect if available, just as a Mr. Buddy-type of heater, although that is a real safety hazard in synthetic-fabric tents. Thick foam pads like a futon or what you see inside RVs might be available to you and would be far better for comfort. Forget the space blanket, its only purpose is trap body heat when wrapped directly around you where no other blanket or cover is available (an emergency). It won't provide insulation as a barrier. Air mattresses and cots have no place in 3-season camping and selling them as such should be a crime, in my opinion (we are sleeping in unheated enclosures). But as they say, Sh*t Sells! Don't let it stop your outing, just take extra layers and get out there, aren't there are worse things than a lousy nights' sleep - I'll take a good campout with bad sleeping over my bed at home anytime!
        Last edited by tplife; 09-03-2012, 02:48 PM.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

we use an aerobed type matress when family car camping (wife does not like to rough it!). what helps for us is to put a thick wool blanket under the matress. you could also place some foam under it for insulation from the ground. Flannel sheets also help. And a small dog in your sleeping bag

Comment

Okay...I should have mentioned that my internal thermostat is set too high, and the idea of sleeping in 40 degree weather appeals to me. I keep my house at 56 in the winter, only because any cooler would probably have my pets in hibernation. Follow others' advice, not mine, unless your friend prefers the cooler temperatures the way I do.

Comment

I use a Coleman queen-size. I have a spare still in the box too. Forget those Ozark Trail beds -- junk. The Coleman has lasted over a year now, including using it for 3 months straight. I have a 4-D pump that I use, then I top it off with a Coleman hand pump. I use an open cell "egg carton" foam pad and flannel sheets and a heavy cotton cordura king-size comforter. Never had a problem with 45 degree weather. Comfy too! I'm going to try closed-cell pads under the open cell pad this fall though.

Comment

Kingquad has it right, test your system out at home first before you go. I gave up on air mattresses only because they have not been durable for me. I have used coleman and loved it when I put a thick foam topper on top of it(bought at meijers that is typically used for a home mattress). Now, I take that same queen foam pad and double it and put on my cot, no more waking up on a deflated airmattress. If it takes a airmattress to make her happy, find a system that works for you. I don't bash other peoples systems, if it works for them and makes them happy, more power to em. jeff

Comment

I have used the basic air matress for years of camping, summer and winter - never had a problem with temps or anything else. With proper preparation, it's a far more comfortable bed for ME than using the expensive 'self-deflator' pads. I can adjust firmness, and if one puts a closed-cell pad under it, and uses a good blanket or sleeping bag, you will NOT get cold. I have camped this way in the high teens to low twenties, and have actually had to open the bag/blanket occasionally to let out excess heat. Eating well, your body provides all the heat you need.
                  Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Like Dawg, I too have used a queen size Aerobed air-mattress for decades and have never had a problem with Aerobeds. Have tried other brands, that over inflate have weak stems and don't hold air. My tents are always quite large with the Kodiak Canvas at 9x12, the Eureka Copper Canyon 10x10 and the PahaQue Promontory at 10 x 12. I also use a big buddy heater during the autumn, winter & spring to keep temperatures inside the tent moderately warm (40 - 55 degrees) for sleeping. If one has the space inside a tent there is nothing wrong with using an air-mattress. One needs to remember that if during rain and one is inside the tent, and using a synthetic nylon tent, anything that touches the sides of the tent including hands, heads, arms or equipment will cause wicking to occur and water will be drawn into the tent.
                    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I have a question about the Coleman air mattresses. I have tried just about everything trying to patch a small leak on a queen mattress we have. The patch kit that comes with the mattress is a utter joke. I called Coleman and they sent a kit used for rubber rafts, and it failed as well. My wife won't let me trash can it. If the leak was on the fuzzy side there would be no hope. We bought it from WalMart, and their return policy is real strict. The reason is too many dishonest jerks used the mattress for company for the weekend, and returned them on Monday. Now that's a real cheap jerk!

I would NEVER get a Ozark Trails air mattress or much of anything else with that name on it. The few things I did get with Ozark Trails were generic items that could have been made by some place that was very difficult to mess up.

Comment

Originally posted by farout View Post
                        I have a question about the Coleman air mattresses. I have tried just about everything trying to patch a small leak on a queen mattress we have. The patch kit that comes with the mattress is a utter joke. I called Coleman and they sent a kit used for rubber rafts, and it failed as well. My wife won't let me trash can it. If the leak was on the fuzzy side there would be no hope. We bought it from WalMart, and their return policy is real strict. The reason is too many dishonest jerks used the mattress for company for the weekend, and returned them on Monday. Now that's a real cheap jerk!

I would NEVER get a Ozark Trails air mattress or much of anything else with that name on it. The few things I did get with Ozark Trails were generic items that could have been made by some place that was very difficult to mess up.
                        Try Aqua Seal. You can find it at most SCUBA shops or online.

Comment

I've slept comfortably on an air mattresses in freezing temperatures (Like 30 degrees not much below that.) I have a decent Slumberjack mummy bag, but its several years old and not as warm as it was new. I just use the air-activated hand warmers ("Grabber" brand) if the cold is keeping me awake, and 1 or 2 in my sleeping bag seems to make a huge difference.

Comment

Have been using an air mattress with the boys whenever we go camping by ourselves. We put a sleeping bag on top of it and that usually is enough to keep us warm through the night.

Comment

I use Coleman air mattress in temps down to around 30. Any cooler and I generally don't tent camp. If I do I have a Mr Buddy heater.

Comment

Working...
                              X