Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organic Quinoa

Howdy,
    I was about to throw this box of Quinoa, pronounced keen-wah, out to the trash, however my bride(Paula) stopped me in the nick-of-time, and reprimanded me kindly: "Honey I'll make it tonight!" And was I surprised! Great food, and we shall take this camping. We found it at Trader Joe's.

Quinoa, was a staple of the ancient Incas, who called it "the mother grain." It still remains a staple in South America cuisine. Quinoa contains more protein than most other grains and is a great option to rice or couscous as a side dish with it's delicate flavor. It cooks to a light, fluffy texture and as it cooks the external germ, shich forms a band around each grain. This provides a unique texture with the soft grain and crunchy germ. It really is an amazing non-wheat and gluten free grain. Quinoa is very adaptable and is also wonderful with added veggies and meat as a main dish.

Directions:
    Always rinse and drain quinoa thoroughly in cold water before cooking. For additional flavor, substitute chicken broth or vegetable stock for the water. For variety, diced veggies of any sort can be added in the beginning with the water for a quick and easy pilaf.

Place 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water(or stock) in a 1 1/2 quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, or low as possible or allow it to just steam for awhile, cover and cook until all the water(or stock) is absorbed(10-15 minutes). Note: When done, the grain will appear soft and translucent, and the germ ring will be visible along the outside edge of the grain(this is normal). Enjoy!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Working...
X