tplife's kamp-power 12V system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tplife's kamp-power 12V system

Here's the Optima Blue-Top that powers my campsite electrical needs. The unit has 10A+ and 20A- fusing on both ends of 2 seperate power circuits. Battery charger-type quick disconnects finish off the connectors, which have heat shrink over crimp connectors. Crimp connectors assure easy field repairs vs. soldering. You can see two Wagan 3-into-1 plugs in use here with a digital voltmeter. Note the if-needed 180W inverter. Not shown is a Radio Shack stepdown adapter 12V - 5.5, 6, 9 and 12V.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...PARTY011-2.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...PARTY017-2.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...PARTY013-2.jpg

The system here powers the Kenwood/Polk music system shown on another thread, as well as up to 3 18" CityLites programmable LED light bars, a portable flashing unit, and a 16-lamp folding LED desklight. Wiht the converters handy there are a lot of devices that can be powered or charged up on the spot. There are 5 open plugs available at once since the digital voltmeter is kept connected in one socket...
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Looks like a great setup...........the only drawback I can see is the wiring snagging on things with it being loose and trailing.
    Have you thought of getting some sort of enclosure and having the sockets accessible like home receptacles?
    How long would the battery last with say 2 12V 40W bulbs drawing on it, just for reference?

Comment

Originally posted by ontariocamper View Post
      Looks like a great setup...........the only drawback I can see is the wiring snagging on things with it being loose and trailing.
      Have you thought of getting some sort of enclosure and having the sockets accessible like home receptacles?
      How long would the battery last with say 2 12V 40W bulbs drawing on it, just for reference?
      Ontario, the fused lines are zip-tied to the battery body and will resist a lot of pulling before coming loose. The lines are not an issue during use since the appliances for music, light and Jr. Burning Man effects are either placed on or are connected to the table itself. There's not much extra wiring since about 3' is going up. The problem with battery enclosures is size. These AGM wound units are about 25% smaller than a standard lead-acid battery, and the case would represent a huge amount of wasted space. The Optimas they requre no enclosure as they don't de-gas or give off corrosive liquid. My setup was begun with such an idea as you are suggesting, but simplicity, space, and flexibility drove it this way. Here is an example, similar to the plan I started with for 10Meter Ham radio emergency power, of what you're suggesting using Optimas: http://astrohep.com/blogs/projects/a.../06/04/62.aspx
      It's a great idea where space is not an issue.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Howdy tplife,
        Nice looking equipement!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
        X