Need collapsible water jug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need collapsible water jug

I just bought a new car (2017 Kia Soul) & am trying to make things more compact. I currently have a 2.5 gallon plastic water jug (& don't need anything larger as I normally camp by myself). I am thinking of using a collapsible 1.5 - 2 gallon jug. I tried many over a year ago & most became unstable as the water lowered - I like to leave the jug sitting on the picnic table where I can wash hands, fill collapsible dishpan for doing dishes, etc. It would be nice too if it had a large opening available for cleaning purposes, but not a deal breaker. What do you recommend?
    Hope to camp in my new Columbia Fall River 8 Instant Tent in 2017

Re: Need collapsible water jug

I have never found a collapsible jug that was any good. I use a hard plastic container and just find a place for it.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
      I have never found a collapsible jug that was any good. I use a hard plastic container and just find a place for it.
      Agreed unfortunately.

CL, do you camp near a non potable water source? If so a filtration bag might be fine for washing and a collapsible for consumption.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
        Agreed also. The problem is that the car space is most limited at the beginning of the trip. But that's when the jug is full and not collapsed, and when you have a full load of food. It would make sense when backpacking, but for car camping, it's just not that big a deal for the compromises on the ability of the jug to do its job properly.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
          Agreed also. The problem is that the car space is most limited at the beginning of the trip. But that's when the jug is full and not collapsed, and when you have a full load of food. It would make sense when backpacking, but for car camping, it's just not that big a deal for the compromises on the ability of the jug to do its job properly.
          Thank you. Yr logistic flag is flying free!
          2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I would say give a solar shower a try. Especially good for hand washing because they're designed to be used hands free and they heat the water. They're available in different sizes but, no matter what size you choose, take up next to no space when empty.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your feedback. It appears we all concur on the collapsible containers being a PITB generally speaking. Lol I did see a picnic type collapsible drink container that has a stand that I am considering trying. I think the stand might improve stability.

I don't fill my water jug before leaving since I camp where water is readily available so something more compact would be helpful especially upon initial packing the car when there is a little more stuff to pack as opposed to coming back home.

The solar shower suggestion is really something I will also consider. Are those safe to use water from for cooking?

In all honesty, I do not know how packing the new car is going to work out yet. I am going to do a practice run of loading it up as soon as we have some dry days & warmer temps. It's just that little bit of space I see available under my lift door looks very small. It wouldn't be a concern if I didn't have my 3 Yorkies & the fact that each has their own carseat that connects to the seatbelts. I can't put two in one seat either as that does NOT work. Lol I am hoping their carseats will fit on top of the plastic storage containers that I use just like I did in my Focus.

Comment

I find that I can fit 1 gallon containers in my car easier than larger sizes. I just get the Crystal Geyser ones from Big Lots, Dollar General etc. and refill with my own tap water when emptied.

For washing hands, dishes etc. at the picnic table I use either a solar bag as described above, or a reused laundry detergent container with a nozzle/tap built in.
                - Laura
                Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

CL, IF your Focus had 4 doors then you had 13.2 cu.ft of space and your Soul has 24.2 with the rear seats up so maybe you and the doggies will be fine.
                  2017:

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
                    I find that I can fit 1 gallon containers in my car easier than larger sizes. I just get the Crystal Geyser ones from Big Lots, Dollar General etc. and refill with my own tap water when emptied.

For washing hands, dishes etc. at the picnic table I use either a solar bag as described above, or a reused laundry detergent container with a nozzle/tap built in.
                    Thanks for reminding me of that idea!
                    2017:

Comment

Ditto everyone else on never finding a collapsible water container that was worth it, leaky, messy things! I have a hard container for cooking/cleaning/drinking, but also have a solar shower for hand washing, rinsing off muddy kids, etc. I found when they used the regular water container for hand washing, we went through water a lot faster (thus more trips for refills), and it created a mud puddle near the picnic table/lean to/cooking area. With the solar shower I can set up a hand wash/rinse off area in a tree on the edge of the site and keep the kids from making a mud bog right in the middle of the site. Bonus that the solar shower folds up so tiny for packing too.
                      Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

I may be worrying for nothing regarding having enough space, but looking at the Soul's cargo space has just made me concerned. I can't wait to see how packing it works out. I will let you know.

Love your feedback! Thanks again everyone.

Comment

The water system I've been using currently consists of 2 folding buckets (Granite Gear), 2 folding sinks (Granite Gear and Ortlieb), 2 38 oz bottles (Nalgene) and a water filter (Katadyn). One each of the double things would suffice. The buckets haul water from the campground water spigot to the picnic table. The sinks are for washing dishes. The bottles are for drinking/cooking water. The filter was added to the picture after staying in a campground in Canada where the water needed to be boiled. There are smaller packing folding buckets and sinks than Granite Gear if you don't mind a plastic material instead of fabric. Packing small is indeed a challenge for travelling with a small vehicle. Good luck.

Comment

One of the big faults with the collapsible water jugs is they would just roll off where ever they were set. Usually it would land on the spout jamming dirt into it.

I use two of these collapsible tubs for dishes. If some company would make a water jug with this design, I think it would be a winner. Just picture two of these attached together on their faces with a spout in one.

Comment

Amen to what you stated. This is actually the "sink" that I use!

Comment

Working...
                              X