X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Only Campgrounds

Howdy,
    In my never ending quest to find tent only campgrounds and those small enough to accept the smallest A-frame trailer or pop-ups. I'm still looking. One website that comes to mind is

http://www.camparizona.com

When you get to the site, find the search panel and type in manzanita campground. There you go! We are a proud bunch of people, who are die-hard tenters! Long live Tent Camping! Longer still Tenters!

If you know a place from your neck of the woods that accepts only tents and can find it on-line, please by all means share it here. If the campground also has RVs but also has an area for tent only separate from RVs, that is qualifies too! If you know more than one place the better for everyone if you give up a secret. I use to fear that if I gave up a favorite place it would always be crowded when I want to go camping there, but the funny thing is, it never is crowded when I want to camp there but certainly is crowded when I don't want to camp there. Go figure. Off-season is best!Thanks in advance! Happy camping!:D
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 11-22-2009, 07:43 PM. Reason: adjustment
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I would love to find those kinds of campgrounds around here. However I think it is a thing of economies that we find few if any that are tent only. I suspect that the money involved in running and up keep of a camp ground could be rather substantial. Given that and the fact that really we are becoming a minority I don't think it would make good business to cater to only one type of camper. Now trying to have better tent sites and a little more seclusion for those would be a plus. A small patch of grass with a tree and fire ring between two RV's is not a tent site.

Comment

Thanks for the input, but there are literally hundreds of Tent Only Campgrounds all over these great states we call the USA. If anyone is interested go to the section "Where To Go" and search your section. If you don't see one but know one post it up. If you don't see any, don't hold your breath too long because sooner or later I'll have your area covered. And that's a promise, by cracky!
      Last edited by renodesertfox; 11-24-2009, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Here's a place that I've camped at before. It's a day and a half drive there from sunny Las Vegas. But it takes you to the very center of the majestic Grand Teton National Park, where one can TENT CAMP ONLY! How grand is that. A camper though has to pack food away in bear proof cans because you are the guest and bears rule there, not humans! Fines are steep if a bear gets into your car and your food and you complain to a ranger.

http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm - 41k - Cached

Click on the word "Cached" and then scroll down to "Jenny Lake Campground".
        There are 51 sites TENT ONLY! How grand is that!! Jenny Lake is nearby and we've even kayaked it's cold waters with still floating ice in late May. No motors, not even electric motors are allowed. Great place, we never wanted to leave! The photos I took are still on film(large format) and I've never transferred them to digital yet, maybe one day.
        Last edited by renodesertfox; 11-22-2009, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Here's Snowflake Tent Only Campground in the boundary waters of Minnesota, near Duluth. My oldest son, who is a four star rated chef in Mpls, loves backpacking, hunting, fishing(ice) and everything outdoors. He has stayed there and loves it. Once again click on the word "Cached" and your there. Enjoy!

http://www.skiduluth.com/Camping.htm - 14k - Cached

Comment

Now that you are here. Click on the amazon link at the top of this page, go to the book section and do not order a book entitled: The Best In Tent Camping:The Guide For Campers Who Hate RVs, Concrete Slabs, and Loud Portable Stereos. What a bunch of political crap!! The book on southern California has five campgrounds that do not allow RVs...I could have told you that!!! What a bunch of advertizing bs!!!! I've camped in all of those cgs already! What a bunch of bull!!! Do Not buy the book the arthur is only tying to make a few dollars, I think he'd have better luck selling pencils!!!!
            Last edited by renodesertfox; 11-30-2009, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Here in my neck of the woods in northern Florida, we have "Torreya State Campground". It does have a "Full Facility" campground for the RV set, but also a network of hiking trails with smaller 'primitive camping' sites. No vehicular access - you carry everything in and out! These camps are very seldom used, more so by the Boyscouts than anyone else. A very scenic area right on the Apalachicola River, site of a Civil War battle with the gun emplacements still in place. We Rebs defended the river against those Yankee Bluecoats...... :D
              Now though, the birds and animals have taken over.
              The guided tour of the Gregory House is well worth it too. It sits on a high bluff overlooking the river, and houses the campground office.

Map: http://www.floridastateparks.org/tor...torreyamap.jpg

Main site: http://www.floridastateparks.org/torreya/default.cfm
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I stuck this thread. So let's keep the thread to posting only Tent campgrounds now. Therefore it will remain helpful for future readers.
                JohnJohn
                ---------
                Forum Admin

Comment

Here's a spot for tent campers in the great state of North Carolina. Carolina on my mind, maybe James Taylor has sung here, and then again maybe not. But check it out if your interested. Just click on the word "Cached" and you're there!

http://www.passport-america.com/main/cgDefault.asp?ID=2575 - 23k - Cached

Comment

In the state of Orgeon there's plenty of tent only sites, some are mixed in with short trailers 22' long, which to a tenter seems as long as a school bus but that's okay because most trailers do not have generators. There are a few tent only campgrounds inter-mixed with trailers. Desertrose and I stayed in Oregon at the Alder Springs Campground and Blair Lake Campground in 2005 for ten(10) days and saw absolutely no trailers, if fact we were the only tenters too over late October to November 1, 2005 when the campground was seasoned closed. Great spot, fly trout fishing was very good for rainbows! Just click on the word "Cached" and your there. You'll have to scroll down a bit to view Blair lake Campground. Then if interested copy the link and paste in a new window for your machine. Enjoy, we did!

http://www.traveloregon.com/Explore-Oregon/Willamette-Valley/Places-To-Stay/Search-Campgrounds.aspx - 38k - Cached

Comment

White Horse Lake, AZ

Howdy,
                      The early autumn of 2008 saw us at White Horse Lake. Now White Horse Lake has a total of 105 campsites for RV and for small/large trailers. But there is a section of 8 walk-in tent sites that sit on the highest point overlooking the lake. This walk-in area is Tent Only and if you check out any web site for White Horse Lake and check on reserve status you'll see that most of the time there are only 2 sites which you can reserve. That's because they are handicap sites. Handicap tent sites are those sites which would handle a wheel-chair. These are all concrete pads. Not really feasable to pitch a tent on. However, the other six(6) tent only sites have large tent pads, a table, a firering and all overlook the lake that is only a short fifty yards from the water. When we were there we beach parked our kayak and had no problems. The only thing is those 6 tent only sites are not reservable, they are for walk-up only. First come, first served. Limit:14 days.

A walk-in tent site is a site where you park your vehicle in a general parking lot and then walk-into to campsite. The distance from parking lot to sites is about 100 yards. So you have to transport your items by cart(bring your own) or by hand and on your back. We always keep a small luggage dolly in our gear, so I'm always prepared.

If you are a registered member here to http://www.campingforum.com and you want to see photos of what White Horse Lake is like, just go to my profile page and find my photo album of White Horse Lake. It is in the "Camping: Arizona" Album. If you are not a member of http://www.campingforums.com what is a better reason for not joining up and becoming a free new member? We would love to meet you and share experiences camping!

Anyway, White Horse Lake is a small lake(Limit electric motors of 1 hspower or less). Great fishing for Rainbow & Brown Trout and small Channel Catfish. When we were there I saw 4 Great Blue Herons(2 families-they mate for life), 3 Osprey, one Bald Eagle, a large herd of deer and five elk(4 females 1 male).

Just click on the word "Cached" below on the website listed and you're there. Or do your own search. When we were there, the place was packed with RVs and saw them only when we drove in. Never ever heard a generator the entire time. We will be going back next year in early summer. Their season is mid-May to Oct 1. Good luck, get outdoors.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/kai/recreation/fishing/whitehorse.shtml - 25k - Cached

Comment

Tent Only: Yosemite NP, CA

Howdy,
                        During the peak summer months in the U-shaped valley floor of Yosemite National Park there is one campground designed for TENTS! Formerly known as Sunnyside Walk-In, this is the only valley campground available on a first-come, first-served basis—and the only one west of Yosemite Lodge. Open year-round, it is a favorite for rock climbers and solo campers; it fills quickly and is typically sold out by 9 AM daily spring through fall. This is a tents-only campground. Base of Yosemite Falls Trail, just west of Yosemite Lodge on Northside Dr., Yosemite Village. 209/372-0265. 209/372-0371. www.nps.gov/yose. 35 sites. Flush toilets, drinking water, showers, bear boxes, fire grates, picnic tables, public telephone, ranger station.:D

You'll have to scroll down to the end of the page because it is listed last. There are other campgrounds that accept RV & tent, but the one described above is absolutely Tent Only! We camped there in 1988, it was crowded then!

Comment

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
                          Now that you are here. Click on the amazon link at the top of this page, go to the book section and order a book entitled: The Best In Tent Camping:The Guide For Campers Who Hate RVs, Concrete Slabs, and Loud Portable Stereos. Pick your state or states where you might find yourself tent camping and get a copy soon.

There is even a book on tenting sites in the great state of Ill. I don't believe tent campers are a minority, I believe we are the silent majority!
                          VDF I already have the Illinois copy of this book. A good book but not a Tent Only Campground Guide. At least not the Illinois version. Now I realize that each state is done by different authors so could be totally different in their presentation. Illinois's guide is more about finding campgrounds where the tent areas are seperated or more secluded. This next year I hope to get out and at least check out a couple of the recommendations of this book.

Comment

S, I've begun the quest in all sections of the country. I know there has to be a few tent only sites in your great state too! Thanks for sharing, pard...we do learn from each other. Let us know how your camping goes next season if you get to check out any of those sites you mentioned. Thanks!

Comment

I like MT.Mitchell or Black Mountain in western NC , it's near Ashville off I-40. I doubt an RV could drive up to the Mt.Mitchell campground,it's a steep climb ,but a car will make it easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X