X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campgrounds: Tent Only!

Howdy, TENT CAMPERS ONLY!!

This just might be our Holy Grail Quest! It might not yet be yours( it is mine however), if your like camping at a very nice campground and wake up the next morning and have noticed that over-night you've been surrounded by Large 5th Wheels and RVs you gotta move your campsite! Wow, those RVs are sure crowding this place! It's not that I don't like RVers it's because I don't like camping in the shadow of a luxury rolling tin box!:eek:

This sub-forum is reserved for campgrounds that are designed for TENT ONLY! If you know of a spot in your neck of the woods and would like share it...post it up. If not no problem because it will eventually be found and posted wether your want it posted or not. If you know of a campground that has RVs & tents but has a section set aside for tent only that also qualifies! I believe there are hundreds of these pristine sites all over this great land(sure we got some problems-and we are working on them); it's still a GREAT LAND! I am a tenter and this is my Holy Grail Quest!!

Long Live Tents; Longer Still Tenters!

This is simply a place to list TENT ONLY CAMPGROUNDS. If you have a question about a spot that is linked, please start a new thread. We prefer to keep this as a link thread. That will make it easier to find a Tent only spot.

I use to fear that if I gave away a great site and told no one about it, no one would find it. That's like running onto what you think is a ghost town that no one knows about, you're fooling yourself. I've come back to my secret ghost-town and it's got more people here than I thought! Thanks for looking-Get Campin'
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Howdy,
    Here's Snowflake Tent Only Campground in the boundary waters of Minnesota, near Duluth. My oldest son, who is a four star rated chef in Mpls, loves backpacking, hunting, fishing(ice) and everything outdoors. He has stayed there and loves it. Click on the word "Cached" and your there. Enjoy!

http://www.skiduluth.com/Camping.htm - 14k - Cached

Comment

Ozark Scenic Riverway: Tent Only

Howdy,
      In the Ozark Scenic Riverway along the Currant River there are a few campgrounds that cater to us tent only campers. Along the upper part of the river near Jack's Fork here's the skinny:

MILE MARKER 7.5* Parker's Ford Campsites (NO WEBSITE) - About 2-3 FREE established primitive campsites along the river (first come, first served). NO FACILITIES. The nearby Nichols Historic Site is just a close hike up the road. Horses sometimes cross the river at this point from locals & tourists doing a trail ride via nearby Whispering Pines Trail Ride. All campsites are along the river. Accessible by vehicle, but a 4WD truck is needed for one of the campsites where a spring/creek flows into the river.

MILE MARKER 9.0* Cedar Grove Campground (NO WEBSITE) - About 12-15 established primitive campsites for camping along the river (first come, first served). There is a low-water bridge at this location. The only facilities offered are maintained out-houses. Accessible by vehicle.

MILE MARKER 33.7* Sinking Creek Campsite (NO WEBSITE) - Primitive camping site operated by the NPS. Sinking Creek enters on left. The NPS started charging a $5 camping fee per night April 15th, 2004 at the Sinking Creek Campsite. Stays are limited to 14 days, with a maximum of 6 people, 2 tents and 2 vehicles per site.

More infor and directions to thses sites are located here at:
      http://www.missouriscenicrivers.com/Camping.html - 60k - Cached

Just click on the word "Cached" and you're there. Thanks for reading and looking for tent only Campgrounds. Adios

Comment

Tent Only CGs: Illinois

Howdy,
        Seems it's hard to find tent only campgrounds in this state. Most campgrounds offer both tent/RV but are separated by sections. Here is one that is advertized as a tent only site but when you go to the web link, it's for both. If a tenter can't hear generator noise and/or only see those rolling apartments when traveling to the tent only section, camping shouldn't be that bad. Click on the "Cached" word and you can visit the site, check it out. A shared campground is better than no campground. If anyone has camped here and would like to comment good or bad, just start a new thread.

http://www.kaneforest.com/publications/brochures/camping.pdf - - Cached

Last edited by renodesertfox; 11-24-2009, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Illinois: Channahon State Park

Howdy,
          Channahon State Park, 25302 W Story St, Channahon (815-467-4271)
          It’s all about getting back to nature at this state park. There’s no vehicular access, which means all of your gear must be walked to one of the 20 campgrounds. Each camping area features fire rings, picnic tables and grills; a drinking fountain and pit toilets are located near each area. During the day, you can hike along 61 miles of scenic trails offering views of wildlife and wildflowers.
          Miles from Chicago About 50
          Price $6 per tent per night

Comment

Arkansas: Wolf Pen Campground

Howdy,
            Ozark National Forest
            More than 3.1 million acres of forestland are included within the three national forests in Arkansas. The U.S. Forest Service has developed campgrounds of scenic points in these woodlands. The tent only campground is located in ruggedly beautiful mountainous terrain, and is designed to blend into the landscape to preserve the forest atmosphere.

Wolf Pen
            Campsites: 6 Tent

Location: 18 miles north of Ozark on Hwy. 23, then east on Hwy. 215, 13 miles; or 22 miles north of Clarksville on Hwy. 103, then west on Hwy. 215 for 2 miles. (Pleasant Hill Ranger District, Clarksville, AR 72830. PHONE: (479) 754-2864)

Attractions: Canoeing on Mulberry River (National Scenic River), scenic rock bluffs, fishing, river canoe access.

Facilities: Vault toilets, 5 picnic sites, no water. (Open year-round)

http://www.fs.fed.us/oonf/ozark
            Last edited by renodesertfox; 12-01-2009, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Arkansas: Hobbs State Park & Conservation Area

Howdy,
              Of the 29 state parks in the great state of Arkansas this is the only state park that only allows primitive camping. The other state parks allow both RV/Trailer & Tent. More space is given to RVs than tents.

Arkansas's largest state park in land area, Hobbs State Park-Conservation Area (HSPCA) covers 12,045 acres along the southern shores of 28,370-acre Beaver Lake. Twenty-two of the park’s 60 miles of border stretch along the shores of Beaver Lake. The park lies between Beaver Lake to the north and War Eagle Creek to the south. It stretches across a part of Benton County southeast of Beaver Lake and extends into Madison and Caroll counties, in the northwest corner of the state.

It is the only State Park that I have found that allows Only Primitive Camping. 5 Campsites. Everything in has to be everything out. Where exactly are these five areas are still being researched by me. In the near future this will be updated as I find out. If you know please begin another thread, thanks.

Buffalo National River

All campgrounds except Lost Valley are directly adjacent to the Buffalo River. The 135-mile national river is lined with bluffs as high as 440 feet. Riverside stands of willow, sycamore, river birch and cottonwood blend into the predominately oak-hickory upland forest. The Buffalo offers smallmouth b**** goggle-eye and other game fish along with swimming and canoe trips on this free-flowing river.

Swimming is permitted in the Buffalo River but requires special caution. Diving or jumping into the river from rocks or bluffs is extremely dangerous due to the likelihood of striking submerged rocks. Limestone and sandstone bluffs are crumbly and slippery when wet and should be completely avoided.

Arkansas state licenses required for fishing and hunting. All children under age of 13 must wear a personal floatation device. Canoe rentals nearby.
              Region: Ozarks
              For Information: Park Superintendent, 402 North Walnut, Suite 136, Harrison, AR 72601-1173, (870) 741-5443 http://www.nps.gov/buff/

Carver
              Campsites: 8 Tent with no hookups
              Location: 10 miles east of Jasper on Hwy. 74, then 2.5 miles north on Hwy. 123 to bridge.
              Attractions: Swimming and fishing.
              Facilities: Vault toilet, drinking water, fire grates, picnic tables, river access. (Open year-round) User's fee charged.

Kyles Landing
              Campsites: 33 Tent with no hookups
              Location: 5 miles west of Jasper on Hwy. 74, then 3 miles down rough, steep, winding gravel road.
              Attractions: Trailhead for wilderness area hiking, including Hemmed-in-Hollow and Indian Creek.
              Facilities: Drinking water (Apr.-Oct.), flush toilets, fire grates, picnic tables, river access. (Open year-round) User's fee charged.
              NOTE: Not recommended for large trailers, buses or RVs due to rough, steep and winding road.
              Lost Valley
              Campsites: 15 Tent with no hookups
              Location: 15 miles west of Jasper on Hwy. 74, then one mile south on Hwy. 43.
              Attractions: 2.1 mile round-trip hiking trail to Eden Falls and Cob Cave.
              Facilities: Drinking water (Apr.-Oct.), flush toilets, picnic tables and fire grates. (Open year-round) User's fee charged.
              Maumee South
              Campsites: Open Camping
              Location: 6 miles east of Marshall on Hwy. 27, then 6 miles of paved and dirt road from Morning Star.
              Facilities: Vault toilet, river access. (Open year-round)
              Ozark
              Campsites: 30 Tent with no hookups
              Location: 5 miles north of Jasper on Hwy. 7, then 2 miles down dirt road.
              Attractions: Swimming and fishing. Scenic bluff. Trailhead for 2-mile (one way) Ozark-Pruitt trail.
              Facilities: Drinking water (Apr.-Oct.), fire grates, picnic tables, flush toilets, pavilion (may be reserved for groups), amphitheater (programs in season), river access. (Open year-round) User's fee charged.
              Rush
              Campsites: 13 Tent with no hookups
              Location: 11 miles south of Yellville on Hwy. 14, then 4.5 miles on paved and gravel road 6035.
              Attractions: Mining ghost town. Trailhead for wilderness area hiking.
              Facilities: Vault toilet, fire grates, drinking water (Apr.-Oct.), river access. (Open year-round) User's fee charged.
              Steel Creek
              Campsites: 26 Tent with no hookups
              Location: 13 miles west of Jasper on Hwy. 74, then 2 miles down steep, winding gravel road.
              Attractions: Scenic bluffs. Trailhead for wilderness area hiking, featuring Hemmed-in-Hollow.
              Facilities: Drinking water (Apr.-Oct.), flush toilets, fire grates, picnic tables, river access, 14 equestrian campsites and horse trails. (Open year-round) User's fee charged.
              NOTE: Not recommended for large trailers, buses and RVs due to steep, winding road.

Woolum
              Campsites: Open Camping
              Location: 17 miles south of Harrison, then 8.5 miles of dirt road from Pindall; or 26 miles south of Harrison and 7 miles from St. Joe.
              Attractions: Swimming, fishing. Trail connection with Ozark Highlands Trail (seasonal).
              Facilities: Vault toilet, river access, equestrian campsites and horse trails. (Open year-round)

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Campgrounds

DeGray Lake Area

A 13,800-acre U.S. Army Corps of Engineers multi-purpose project is located on the Caddo River in the foothills of the Ouachita Mountains of south central Arkansas. DeGray Lake is located eight miles north of Arkadelphia (Exit 78 off I-30 at Caddo Valley/Arkadelphia) on National Scenic 7 Byway. DeGray Lake offers diverse recreational opportunity. Visitors enjoy boating, fishing, swimming, scuba diving, sailing, hunting, sightseeing, geological interest, camping and much more.

For Information: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Park Manager, 729 Channel Road, Arkadelphia, AR 71923, (870) 246-5501 http://www.mvk.usace.army.mil/Lakes/DegrayLake/main.php

Ozan Point
              Campsites: 50 Tent with no E
              Location: Hwy. 8 to Alpine Community, turn east on Fendley Road for 12 miles.
              Facilities: Flush toilets, water, boat ramp, 4 picnic sites. (Day use facilities open year-round; campsites open Mar. 1-Nov. 30) User’s fee charged.
              Last edited by renodesertfox; 12-01-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Re: Ozark Scenic Riverway: Tent Only

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                Howdy,
                In the Ozark Scenic Riverway along the Currant River there are a few campgrounds that cater to us tent only campers. Along the upper part of the river near Jack's Fork here's the skinny:

MILE MARKER 7.5* Parker's Ford Campsites (NO WEBSITE) - About 2-3 FREE established primitive campsites along the river (first come, first served). NO FACILITIES. The nearby Nichols Historic Site is just a close hike up the road. Horses sometimes cross the river at this point from locals & tourists doing a trail ride via nearby Whispering Pines Trail Ride. All campsites are along the river. Accessible by vehicle, but a 4WD truck is needed for one of the campsites where a spring/creek flows into the river.

MILE MARKER 9.0* Cedar Grove Campground (NO WEBSITE) - About 12-15 established primitive campsites for camping along the river (first come, first served). There is a low-water bridge at this location. The only facilities offered are maintained out-houses. Accessible by vehicle.

MILE MARKER 33.7* Sinking Creek Campsite (NO WEBSITE) - Primitive camping site operated by the NPS. Sinking Creek enters on left. The NPS started charging a $5 camping fee per night April 15th, 2004 at the Sinking Creek Campsite. Stays are limited to 14 days, with a maximum of 6 people, 2 tents and 2 vehicles per site.

More infor and directions to thses sites are located here at:
                http://www.missouriscenicrivers.com/Camping.html - 60k - Cached

Just click on the word "Cached" and you're there. Thanks for reading and looking for tent only Campgrounds. Adios

I need to check this out I could use some tent time next spring when I get more vacation from work.

Comment

Wisconsin: Sandhill Station

Very small state campground outside of Madison, WI. There are only 15 walk-in sites and one group walk-in site. The grounds have many large oak trees and the sites are surrounded by tall grasses. We went in mid summer so there was some privacy at the sites, I would imagine spring and early summer the sites would pretty much be wide open. When we stayed we were one of the three sites being used at the time. There is a walking path to Mud Lake; looks like it would be any ok lake for casual fishing, canoeing/kayaking. My brother brought his 12' sailboat up for a day, but the water level was too low to even attempt putting it in the water. At the self registration station there is a phone number for the local boy scout troop, they sell fire wood and will bring it right to the campgrounds, there was a fire ban while we was there otherwise I would have given them a call, if my faulty memory serve me correct they also come the the campground parking lot every Friday and Saturday night as well

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/g...n/camping.html

Dan
                  www.MuttShopProducts.com
                  http://www.facebook.com/MuttShopProducts
                  https://twitter.com/MuttShop

Comment

Working...
                  X