Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
    Added this. [ATTACH=CONFIG]6021[/ATTACH]
    Looking good in the neighbourhood!
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

• Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
      Need some opinion (and I know there's a lot out there;
      Should I get an ARB air locker (on sale with a free $200 compressor until the end of the month) for the explorer (bout a grand without bearings, installation set etc.), Or should I spend part of the money on a jet boil half gen stove (about $180)?
      The air locker will let me go more places easier (farther from more people), but the jetboil is also desirable (but not essential), this summer.

Enjoy!

edit; essentially I save enough to pay for the stove; ordered the locker (there does not seem to be any available from 4 wheel parts in the US) and brought home the air compressor...
      Now come the endless wait for the slow banana boat from Australia... good thing its a want and not a need!

Enjoy!
      You bought it already but my vote would've gone for the air locker too.

Have a good time out there!
      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Yeah, I picked up the disc o bed. I wanted the truck tent for simple overnights. I was going to put the disco beds in it. But I have a 5 1/2' bed. The bottom bunk fit fine, but if I would of put the top bunk on, it would of been pushing on the canvas. That would of resulted in holes or tears rather quickly. So I took the disco bed back. I couldn't justify that much money one something that I couldn't use. I have other cots (3 actually) for tent camping, so these were just unnecessary.
        I have seen the air beds for the back. But I want some room in the back. To store clothes, food, etc. I can do that under the cot. Plus I can use my lug a loo in there as well.
        I think if I had an 8' bed, the disc o bed would of worked perfect.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Yeah, I picked up the disc o bed. I wanted the truck tent for simple overnights. I was going to put the disco beds in it. But I have a 5 1/2' bed. The bottom bunk fit fine, but if I would of put the top bunk on, it would of been pushing on the canvas. That would of resulted in holes or tears rather quickly. So I took the disco bed back. I couldn't justify that much money one something that I couldn't use. I have other cots (3 actually) for tent camping, so these were just unnecessary.
          I have seen the air beds for the back. But I want some room in the back. To store clothes, food, etc. I can do that under the cot. Plus I can use my lug a loo in there as well.
          I think if I had an 8' bed, the disc o bed would of worked perfect.
          I was surprised that Kodiak was able to get an interior height of 5 foot in the short bed version (I usually will poke around the inter-webs to check out/research something that a member has posted). It's a nice height. It's too bad the bunks won't work...but that's what returns are for.

On a side note...how is your tailgate ladder working for you? Will it work with the Kodiak set up in the back?
          Last edited by a65hoosier; 05-01-2017, 04:43 PM.
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
            On a side note...how is your tailgate ladder working for you? Will it work with the Kodiak set up in the back?
            I had to take the tailgate ladder off. If I could move the mounting plate, it might work, but then I couldn't store the ladder properly. I should have my atv trailer hooked up to my truck, so I can use that as a step. Or I could use a step ladder, or fabricate a step that mounts into my receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
              Nowwwwwwwwww that's traveling in style! Ice blue colour calls for blue curacao margaritas to celebrate and the bottles will even fit :B.
              I like the idea. Won't I look creative to spring this as an evening surprise to the wife (esp coming from a guy who struggles with blue/black socks/pants/etc. lol!!!) Cheers!

Click image for larger version

Name:	blue mar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	70794
              Last edited by a65hoosier; 05-01-2017, 05:22 PM.
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I had to take the tailgate ladder off. If I could move the mounting plate, it might work, but then I couldn't store the ladder properly. I should have my atv trailer hooked up to my truck, so I can use that as a step. Or I could use a step ladder, or fabricate a step that mounts into my receiver.
                How many steps do you need to reach the truck bed?
                Asking because I've seen a collapsible plastic ladder made similarly to plastic milk carton around the 'net. It has a really slim profile but I don't know what it's weight limitations are.
                2017:

Comment

Added this. [ATTACH=CONFIG]6021[/ATTACH]
                  Would love to see pics of the inside if you have them.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Asking because I've seen a collapsible plastic ladder made similarly to plastic milk carton around the 'net. It has a really slim profile but I don't know what it's weight limitations are.
                    I would be interested in seeing this.
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

We purchased this to get in the car top box. It is quite sturdy it is supposed to hold 300 lbs. and the perfect height to use as a stool also. I use it in my pantry when not camping. It folds pretty flat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007E...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

I used a 4' step ladder this weekend. In the future, I will have my atv trailer attached to my hitch, so I will just use that.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2818.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	70795Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2819.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	70796

Comment

I used a 4' step ladder this weekend. In the future, I will have my atv trailer attached to my hitch, so I will just use that.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]6025[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6026[/ATTACH]
                          I don't know if this will work for you but I just take off my tailgate when I get there and use the bumper as the step. How does the tent seal up to the side of the bed?
                          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                            I don't know if this will work for you but I just take off my tailgate when I get there and use the bumper as the step. How does the tent seal up to the side of the bed?
                            The twnt needs the tailgate in the down position.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6025[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6026[/ATTACH]
                              Isn't it hard to stay in the cot like that??? :rofl:
                              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                                Isn't it hard to stay in the cot like that??? :rofl:
                                After a bottle of rum it will look just fine.
                                – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                                X