Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Since its been pretty quiet around here, lately; I'm wondering what gear/technique additions/changes everyone is planning for the up coming camping season?
    so far I've accumulated;
    A better cooler (arrived yesterday),

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product...r/cooler/30QT/
    A sailor's mirror (mostly for shaving)
    http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...Sailors-mirror
    Some wall art... to relieve the institutional grey walls/make the tent interior more interesting...
    http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...ck-Down-Tables
    A way to temporarily/intermittently (for a couple of hours) heat the tent (while getting up, going to bed and for social time when it rains/snows/sleets/etc.).
    http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...ers)&highlight=

Need to make/get;
    A new camping stove,
    Headboard/arm rests for the cot,
    An awning,
    A way to pressurize the in-tent water container (I'm thinking; a hand pump pressurized garden sprayer).
    A way to conveniently heat the shave/wash water
    a hat rack, both for visitors and myself; I live in "the West", after all...

Admittedly some of these fall into the Glamping arena and some (the cooler) will definitely take up more space in the vehicle...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-16-2017, 07:48 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

My goal is to put a fresh coat of paint on my chuck box. Add a sleeping pad and get out more.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm adding movie night to the party. Have yet to work out the frame for the screen, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be Kee Klamp fittings and 3/4" pipe. I'm also adding another deep cycle to the mix, so that's added thoughts about making a collapsible cart for the battery bank and solar panels.

Comment

I added 2 inches of memory foam to my bed.

I just ordered a telescope, so I am planning on spending nights watching the sky. I will, at some point, get an adapter to attach my camera to it (but I figure I should get the hang of using it before I start trying to take photos with it).

Working on adding TPMS to my clipper tires.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
          I added 2 inches of memory foam to my bed.

I just ordered a telescope, so I am planning on spending nights watching the sky. I will, at some point, get an adapter to attach my camera to it (but I figure I should get the hang of using it before I start trying to take photos with it).

Working on adding TPMS to my clipper tires.
          Do post up some pics when you get it dialed in.
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
            As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm adding movie night to the party. Have yet to work out the frame for the screen, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be Kee Klamp fittings and 3/4" pipe. I'm also adding another deep cycle to the mix, so that's added thoughts about making a collapsible cart for the battery bank and solar panels.
            ...this (movies) is sounding more and more tempting...
            ...Get thee behind me ...:he:

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-17-2017, 06:19 AM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

The Mrs. and I are heading out Saturday night for our first camp in 2017-leaving the boy with his sister at home...to watch our new puppy-more on that below

We're looking forward to it as predicted temps are mid 60's highs and mid 40's lows (so much for "winter camping" lol).

Going to be trying out some new camping "gear" on this trip...leaving a couple of future camping "take alongs" home until future trip(s). We'll be trying out a single burner stove from GasOne for our morning oatmeal and coffee (haven't decided on perked or instant). It is dual fuel...I'll be running it on the 1lb green propane tank:

Click image for larger version

Name:	gasone.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	70736

I hunted down a good sale on a Marmot Limestone 4p this winter at close to 50% off. Because the weather will be mild, we'll be taking this tent to give it a shake down. Not sure about the blue/orange combo, but mainly it will be my son's tent going forward when we car camp (he'll keep the dog in with him). He loves orange (my choice would have been the green), so orange it is.

Name:	limestone 4p tent.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	70737

We're leaving behind a Blackstone 15x17 propane fired griddle my dad gave me for Christmas (this trip it's just the two of us for an overnight so we're going simple. We'll be cooking dinner (ribeye chunks on skewers, baked potato/sweet potato and steamed veggies) over the campfire.

We're also leaving behind our new hiking gal and camping partner in crime, "Willa":

Name:	16508158_10207482362887158_5310665543681043034_n (1).jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	70735

We got her just before Christmas. She is our first family dog. I'm so excited to get her out camping. We've done day hikes already (when the weather wasn't raining or brutally cold-she's not a fan of cold temps). She loves being out on a trail. I'd like to take her on her first trip this time, but the kids would scream (since they have plans to take her to the park). It was part of the deal...sooooo, we'll just enjoy a quiet adult campout. FYI...this week has been crawling along.......
              Last edited by a65hoosier; 02-16-2017, 05:47 PM.
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Willa's a cutie!!! Moose-dog was cold a lot when he was a puppy - his metabolism was so high that he just couldn't eat enough to maintain any insulation (he was eating 5-1/2 cups of food per day). He has long since evened out and no longer gets real cold like that. Also, snow can make up for being cold.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                  Do post up some pics when you get it dialed in.
                  Will do. Hopefully, I'll be able to get the hang of it pretty easily, so photos won't be long in coming.

Comment

Bought some heavy duty camp chairs for the new camping season. Had two different styles of chairs fail last year. Either they are making them much flimsier or perhaps we are gaining .... no, no, no, they are making them much flimsier. These new ones are rated at 500 lbs, so I think we are ok

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...0-lb?a=1886409
                    - Laura
                    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I'm trying to brush up on some basic things like knot tying, knife & ax sharpening, bushcraft style fire starting, compass navigation, and cooking (beyond boiling water for freeze dried). I got a pressure cooker I'm hoping to be able to use for things like dried beans, rice, and quinoa.

Except when using the car instead of the motorcycle, the tent will be downsized from the ~10x10x7 PahaQue to a ~8x16x6 Redverz, for generally faster setup and drier setup in the rain, since inner and outer tents pitch together. The cooler on the tongue of the motorcycle cargo trailer has to go, because it adds too much tongue weight (bad trailer design with the wheels too far back). The propane tank is downsized to a 6#. A new rigid case for the CPAP machine and other fragile electronic stuff. Maybe getting a camera, maybe not. I'm also hoping to learn how to setup and start using the tarp I took along last year but never used.

A major overall goal is to be able to setup camp in about an hour. So far we haven't come close to that. So on "travel days" of a road trip (arriving at a campground in the early evening and leaving the next morning) there has been some cheating (motels).

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        I don't recall you saying what yer movie list was. Did I miss it or is that just ahead of the gun?
                        I'd like to see "Deliverance" and the latest remake of "Last of the Mohicans", thankee kindly.
                        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 02-17-2017, 12:02 AM.
                        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I might need a Buddy heater this year; monitoring the temperature of past temps in the Adirondacks to be sure.

I want a new chimney starter. Not sure if it's a need or not. I got a lil crazy whilst moving most of my belongings into storage and can't recall if I tossed the last one or not.

Dreaming that a kayak would make me happy........

Oh right back to reality.
                          Making mods to a dome tent to use it at a shower and bthrm. Hasn't happened yet cause oh right it's in freaking storage but imagining that it shouldn't be too difficult with binder clips, bungee cords and shower liners.
                          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 02-17-2017, 12:05 AM.
                          2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

So many good ideas. I want that buddy heater, chairs, a camera and better knot tying skills.
                            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
                              Bought some heavy duty camp chairs for the new camping season. Had two different styles of chairs fail last year. Either they are making them much flimsier or perhaps we are gaining .... no, no, no, they are making them much flimsier. These new ones are rated at 500 lbs, so I think we are ok

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...0-lb?a=1886409
                              Looks comfy, folds small, and the price is definitely right- what's not to like?
                              2017:

Comment

Working...
                              X