• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping pet peeves

Loud music
    Shouting across the campground after quiet hours
    Litter
    And those people who pour lighter fluid on a small fire, it dying out , only to watch them do it again.

And it can be anything, large or small.

Re: Camping pet peeves

Hey I like this thread already! Thanks a heap for startin it!!

Pet Peeve: generators, running them anytime is annoyin! After quiet hours in a paid campground, I evolve into Generator Destroyer-man!!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

People who think they own National Forest Service land, cause they bought the land next to it.
      People who drive to fast through camping area's.
      People who let their dogs run off leash into other people's camping area.
      People who trash campsites.
      Kinda people in general sometimes......

Comment

Campgrounds.
        Grime in my tent. I may be OCD about this.....
        Having to bring dry firewood into my tent because I know it is likely to rain overnight.
        People leaving their tent unzipped then complaining because dirt/leaves blew in or bugs got in.
        Exploding campfires.
        Unprepared camping/hiking partners.
        Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

People staring over at your campsite(I guess cause they are bored).

Trash being left behind from previous campers.

That 1 skeeter that seems to find its way into my ear when I have gone to bed.

Constantly worrying when I return from getting supplies or out hiking,will my tent and gear still be there.

Trying to rig up the perfect tarp,only to take it down and redo it over and over and over etc..

Having to get out of bed on a cold night and using the bathroom.

Nails in trees(that one really gets to me).If people can bring a hammer and nails camping,why can't they just bring rope or string?

The loose dog that comes over and pee's on my tent(lol).I made that one up.

I'm sure I have more pet peeves but that will do for now.

Comment

I'll leave off complaints about animals or weather, because they aren't doing anything deliberately to annoy me.

Pet Peeves of stuff people do that annoys me while camping.

*Being unnecessarily noisy (shouting, children screaming, loud music, banging pots and pans, slamming car doors, etc)
            *Littering - (leave anywhere you go cleaner than you found it.. if it isn't your trash: pick it up anyway.. I do)
            *being unprepared - (forgetting 1-2 things isn't a problem.. showing up without anything to sleep on, no clothes, etc especially if i gave you a list of "must bring" items) (this also covers playing dumb so I end up having to do all the work your lazy ass should be helping with)
            *electronic toys (You can play Angry Birds in the car up there and back, but stow that crap when we get to the site - that's not what we are here for)
            * Breaking the laws (don't forage for wood where it's prohibited, steal from the camp host's stack, vandalize stuff, etc - I WILL turn you in and maybe kick your ass too)

That pretty much covers it.

I have to say though.. The way I feel camping reminds me of a quote from Fight Club.

"After a night at fight club, everything in the real world gets the volumn turned down. Nothing can piss you off, your word is law, and if other people break the law or question you, even that doesn't piss you off." - Chuck Palahniuk
            Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Oh yeah, CabinFreak reminded me of one of mine.

Finding trash when I am out in the wilderness.
              Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Nearby campers getting drunk & rowdy, and then vomiting.
                Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

The trash left everywhere. I live in Texas and am proud of my state. I don't think of my state or my State's parks as a dump.

Loud and obnoxious people. I am mostly fishing on camping trips and tend to try and be quiet. Loud music, generators, and fights do tend to scare the fish away.

Trying to roll up my tent when the wind is picking up to 40-50 mph. Last several camping trips, I end up just throwing the tent in on top of everything and rolling it up in our living room when I get home.

WT
                  "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Originally posted by West Texan View Post
                    The trash left everywhere. I live in Texas and am proud of my state. I don't think of my state or my State's parks as a dump.

Loud and obnoxious people. I am mostly fishing on camping trips and tend to try and be quiet. Loud music, generators, and fights do tend to scare the fish away.
                    Yep, those are definitely on my list of pet peeves. Going hiking and finding trash along the trails infuriates me. I usually come back with my pockets full of trash that I pick up along the way.

Originally posted by West Texan View Post
                    Trying to roll up my tent when the wind is picking up to 40-50 mph. Last several camping trips, I end up just throwing the tent in on top of everything and rolling it up in our living room when I get home.
                    I chalk things like this up to "unavoidable annoyances". To me a pet peeve is something that someone else does that just pisses me off.

Weather and animals are just something you have to be prepared to deal with when you go out into nature... because that IS nature. Nature might be inconvenient or messy at times, but I'm not angry at it. I just have to plan ahead, and deal with curve balls as they come.

What you mentioned above is more of a learning experience than anything. Now you know if there are high winds you just throw the tent in and roll it up later.

Comment

People using headlamps when there is plenty of available light from the moon and stars.
                      People not respecting campsite boundries.

Comment

OK.. point made... I was rattling off last night. I will agree with you on the electronics. If someone is gonna spend the whole time playing on an ipod, they can do that from home. The point is to get out and away from it all. Kinda like the Chevy commercial where they are searching for a camping spot where they have no cell service. Thats what I want to do.

WT
                        "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Originally posted by shawnbebout View Post
                          People using headlamps when there is plenty of available light from the moon and stars.
                          People not respecting campsite boundries.
                          I usually go without light, but sometimes I need it because with my astigmatism sometimes I can't tell a black piece of asphalt from a black patch of mud at night (dumped my motorcycle because of that once)

As far as campsite boundaries, I have a hundred foot length of neon yellow 550 paracord. When I am in a crowded campground and want to establish boundaries, I string it up around my camp about waste high. That way it won't trip anyone, but they have to make an effort to circumvent it. It also makes a handy place to hang clothes to dry out and such.

Comment

Since I am new to cold weather camping,it gives you a chance to go around to other campsites and look for wood that other campers have left behind.On occasion I have noticed where people have cut down live small tree's to use for firewood."IF IT AIN'T DEAD LEAVE IT THE HECK ALONE."

Comment

Shadow, I like the paracord idea. It would also make a good boundary for the kids. We were out hiking @ night. I was teaching my kids how to move on a trail at night with ambient light. When a herd of kids and adults come clomping down the trail with about 8 headlamps. Kind of a "they couldn't see the moonlight reflecting from the lake due to the lights" type thing. The night sky is beautiful, turn off the lights!

Comment

Working...
                              X