Thoughts on an awning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on an awning

This last trip, the vehicle was nearly over packed; so I am looking to reduce the volume of stuff... Hopefully while maintaining the comfort.
    Although we have used tarps to good effect in the past, for shade and rain protection, we now often/usually bring a free standing canopy; I'm thinking that I can reduce the volume and weight, of the canopy, by at least half by using an 8x10 or slightly larger awning off the front of the tent (I have seen many on campers and even trucks and SUVs).

I have 4 extendable poles; left over from the "community center" that I used to erect when group camping back before canopies became affordable and I figure that some (3 or 4) extendable painter's poles would make a fair top frame...

...Any thoughts or experiences that might help? (I feel a winter project coming on)...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-21-2016, 05:26 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: Thoughts on an awning

Why not just a simple four pole corner (or natural tie-offs if available) set-up? A pole at each end of the tent and a couple of poles out front for the awning? Should be able to properly guy off in that config. Cover as much or as little of the actual tent as needed. Put a painters pole in the center to provide a peak for run off if necessary and a ball or frisbee on the end of the painters pole to prevent poking thru. Pick a tarp/fabric of your choice. It would eliminate the need for a top frame and the space/weight considerations. I use the Noah tarp now for our tent awning/dry space, but before that I used the four pole (or more depending on the tent size I was taking) awning type system. It worked pretty well, but I switched to the Noah as it can easily get by with only 2 poles and I have some options as to pitching config.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

That is pretty much what I intended with the addition of a rectangular frame to hold the tarp (I am trying to minimize puddles in the tarp; so I want it taught enough that the rain rolls off one edge).
      The aforementioned "community center" 10 ' x 10' top frame used an EMT (conduit; 8 five foot pieces) top frame with crossed fiberglass poles to give the top a slight dome and that worked pretty well; although the corner connectors were a bit of a pain and I never got them quite right. I could do the fiberglass pole X again although that is more stuff to haul.
      The painter's poles should collapse to give me four 5 or 6 foot poles which adjust out to 10 or 11 feet/whatever the tarp needs.

I haven't tried a Noah tarp(although the typically graceful shape looks very interesting).... filed for additional investigation & consideration....

Has anyone experienced significant advantages or problems with an awning vs. a tarp or canopy?

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-29-2016, 07:50 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Few thoughts eh?
        ...perhaps a pic (of an ARB awning) might help...

I expect to hang it from the side of my tent and build something similar to the above, myself (have a good part if it in long term storage)...
        ...here is a pic of the tent...

Enjoy!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-29-2016, 07:56 AM.

Comment

If you have the room to guy out the four corner poles, there's really no need for any other poles. Higher poles in the back, shorter in the front. For rain, I've taken to putting a fifth cord in the front center of the tarp and guying it out to pull the tarp down slightly. That will funnel the rain in one direction. If you tie the cord just right, I've found that a light rain will actually run down the cord by capillary action, even further away from your tent. As always, I recommend shock cords on all tie outs. Helps keep things together in high wind and/or heavy rain.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
            If you have the room to guy out the four corner poles, there's really no need for any other poles. Higher poles in the back, shorter in the front. For rain, I've taken to putting a fifth cord in the front center of the tarp and guying it out to pull the tarp down slightly. That will funnel the rain in one direction. If you tie the cord just right, I've found that a light rain will actually run down the cord by capillary action, even further away from your tent. As always, I recommend shock cords on all tie outs. Helps keep things together in high wind and/or heavy rain.

Room is not normally an issue (National Forests are BIG)...

I want to minimize the poles (and thus the room in used in the vehicle)... so one side supported by the tent/canopy frame and 2 poles are a likely minimum.

I have done frameless tarps in the past and they work well as long as the wind doesn't get bad or until it rains (will definitely try the guyed bungie idea ..Thanx!). For some reason I tend to get tarp puddles though. I may try it without the top frame (with just a 10 x 10 tarp tied off to the tent on one side and supported by poles and guys on the other) but experience says I'll likely end up with a 4 pole top frame attached to the tarp with ball Bungies...

Dug the old poles out of storage yesterday, grabbed a tarp from the collection that will almost certainly work (9+' x 11+') ... Now I just need to get camping (without snow) to do a trial setup...

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-29-2016, 08:55 AM.

Comment

If you're looking to minimize the poles, believe me, you don't need anything beyond the uprights. I set up with a tarp over a ridge line strung between two trees (or posts when I'm in an open site), but the concept is the same as what you're looking to do. High to lower to keep rain from pooling. Maybe a picture would help make it clearer what I'm trying to describe. And, yes, bungees on all the lines has kept me from damaging tarps that, in bad weather, would have otherwise collapsed. Setting up this way has gotten me through every kind of weather except heavy snow.

Last edited by MacGyver; 09-29-2016, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I hear you; and it works; where there are trees that you are allowed to tie to (and I expect that it could also work with some poles and well engineered sand stakes).

Not going for the absolute minimum poles but for a nearer optimum load with easiest setup and between 8 and ten feet (by about 10 feet (width of tent) of shade awning. The tent does not need additional protection (2 layers on top already).
                6 poles and a tarp will be a reduction in the total load compared to a second canopy; though probably not as easy to set up.

I am assuming (always dangerous) that the bungees go in line with the guys, or in in parallel over a short section of guy line.

Is that a wind chime in the pic, near the front pole on the left the pic.? (they tend to keep me awake - light sleeper).... good idea for a doorbell...

(Edit); ....any input from camper/travel trailer folks with awnings (likes/dislikes/ things to avoid, etc.)?

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-30-2016, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                  I hear you; and it works; where there are trees that you are allowed to tie to (and I expect that it could also work with some poles and well engineered sand stakes).

Not going for the absolute minimum poles but for a nearer optimum load with easiest setup and between 8 and ten feet (by about 10 feet (width of tent) of shade awning. The tent does not need additional protection (2 layers on top already).
                  6 poles and a tarp will be a reduction in the total load compared to a second canopy; though probably not as easy to set up.
                  Glad you didn't take my post as, "No - you gotta do it my way!"

I am assuming (always dangerous) that the bungees go in line with the guys, or in in parallel over a short section of guy line.
                  I was putting a bungee on either the tarp end or the stake end on each line. I then realized that I could take a single bungee, zip tie a loop in the middle to go over the tarp pole and use one bungee for each corner. I used to use the shortest bungees I have, but I've come to see the longer ones are better because they allow for more flexing in high winds.

Is that a wind chime in the pic, near the front pole on the left the pic.? (they tend to keep me awake - light sleeper).... good idea for a doorbell...
                  Yep - it's a wind chime. It's become a tradition that I bring something odd, goofy or new to every trip, so that was it that time. And, yeah, it did get taken down the first night. Next trip I'm doing a Tool Time worthy ramping up of my Electric Hickman based on a bilge blower pump.

Comment

Next trip I'm doing a Tool Time worthy ramping up of my Electric Hickman based on a bilge blower pump.
                    Cool!
                    ...super air pump + loop of conduit + campfire = hot air blower (possibly capable of melting tents) or... (other uses)...

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                      Few thoughts eh?
                      ...perhaps a pic (of an ARB awning) might help...

I expect to hang it from the side of my tent and build something similar to the above, myself (have a good part if it in long term storage)...
                      ...here is a pic of the tent...

Enjoy!

Happy Joe - Been keeping up with this thread. I have a question: The ARB awning in your picture is attached to the side of a vehicle which can easily handle the stress placed upon it when attaching an awning. Do you have any concerns about physically attaching the awning to the tent? In the event of heavy wind, etc, could the structural integrity of the tent and it's poles be negatively impacted by hanging a tarp/poles/weight off the front side of it? I always prefer the tarp not be attached in any way to the tent just in case the tarp fails in a storm it won't pull the whole set-up down.
                      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Next trip I'm doing a Tool Time worthy ramping up of my Electric Hickman based on a bilge blower pump.

ohhhhhh yea...an upgraded version of the Hickman with more power! Photos of it in action when completed please.

I know this isn't nearly as much fun as making a blower powered one...but I saw this on a gear review channel I watch (and surprisingly it worked very well). A portable backpackers fire bellows (about $12 bucks). Collapsed, less than 4 inches...fully extends to about 20 inches. Made of rust resistant SS and Brass (unlike a car antenna).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket Bellows.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	70669

https://www.amazon.com/Epiphany-Outd.../dp/B00LDSW5BA

sigpic

Comment

I bring tarps when tent camping, but I also bring the 7' & 9' market umbrellas. This is a good time of year to find them at a reduced price. Takes up little space when folded up. Some have the sunbrella type of reflective material on the underside that is handy. I have a plastic base that can be filled with water when I am at my destination and emptied and stowed for heading home so it weighs very little. The umbrellas can also be bungeed to a picnic table.

This one is a good deal:
                          http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...pole?a=1822029
                          Last edited by actad; 09-30-2016, 01:36 PM.
                          - Laura
                          Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                            Happy Joe - Been keeping up with this thread. I have a question: The ARB awning in your picture is attached to the side of a vehicle which can easily handle the stress placed upon it when attaching an awning. Do you have any concerns about physically attaching the awning to the tent? In the event of heavy wind, etc, could the structural integrity of the tent and it's poles be negatively impacted by hanging a tarp/poles/weight off the front side of it? I always prefer the tarp not be attached in any way to the tent just in case the tarp fails in a storm it won't pull the whole set-up down.
                            Not really this tent is basically a cloth bag under a canopy.
                            the canopy frame is much more robust than any conventional tent that I have used... Here is an image of a frame that is close;

I figure on attaching a horizontal pole along the side of the frame and attaching a tarp (with a flap run over the frame and under the fabric top, for rain resistance).
                            The canopy side horizontal painter's pole will be part of a horizontal top frame consisting of 4 extendable painter's poles surrounding a tarp.
                            The end of the top frame opposite the tent/canopy will be supported by some old aluminum extendable tent poles.

Can't really use the ARB awning or any of its competitors, without extensive modification, as they have non collapsible extrusions for the vehicle and extended side (and I really can't see paying that much for a framed tarp with 2 legs...yes I am penurious).
                            Guy lines will keep everything stable.

Currently a second canopy, separate from the tent, is used for sun shade and rain shelter but it takes quite a large volume to haul in the vehicle... being the largest single part of the load except for the tent canopy, it is an obvious place to start load reduction.
                            I could use a free standing or tree based tarp (and have done so many times over the years) but I really like the idea (not necessarily a good one) of attaching it to the canopy fame (eliminates 2 legs) .. not really sure of the size yet but the poles that I am looking at extend out to 11+ feet; if I decide to shrink it its just a matter of using a smaller tarp.

Proper corner guys will help insure wind resistance (actually my biggest single concern) especially since I sometimes camp on a sand dunes.

Enjoy!
                            Last edited by Happy Joe; 10-03-2016, 06:21 AM.

Comment

This thread has been very informative for me. Thanks everyone
                              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X