New to camping, not sure on a family tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to camping, not sure on a family tent

I haven't camped since I was a little kid. Now in my early 40s, we have three small kids (8, 6, 2) and we want to spend some quality time in the outdoors. My eight year old son just joined cub scouts too and he is really excited about camping which brings me here. I started my search on basic camping supplies and found this forum which has been a lot of help. However, I'm not sure which tent to get. Right now, we are only considering truck camping and so weight isn't an issue. We will be using established camping areas too.

I know I can get an inexpensive tent and use it a few times before realizing I should have bought something better. I hate throwing money away on lower end gear and would rather purchase something that will last a long time. I'm also not sure if I should get a poly/nylon or canvas tent. We live in the coastal area of North Carolina and will camp anywhere from here to the mountains in Asheville. There seems to be a strong following of canvas tents here. Are those recommended for warmer areas?

So far, these are the tents that looked interesting:

- Big Agnes Flying Diamond 8
    - REI Kingdom 8
    - Kodiak 10 x 14
    - Springbar Family Camper 7 Tent

Of course, this is all new to me so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can certainly use the help.

Re: New to camping, not sure on a family tent

Yeah, I'm a Kodiak fan, so of course I'll say the 10 x 14. I picked Kodiak over the Springbars mostly for two reasons - cost and the peg loops. They both have pretty much the same specs, so the cheaper of the two was kind of a no-brainer to me. As to the peg loops, I figured the cloth loops on the Kodiak would be much easier to fix in the field in the event of a problem than the metal loops on the Springbars. I also didn't like the idea of rolling up a tent with metal loops inside - thought that might present a bit of a problem over time.

Believe it or not, canvas is actually cooler in warm weather than nylon or polyester. Its insulating quality goes both ways, keeping heat in or out. Sun on the thin synthetics goes right through the fabric. In any event, if you'll be camping in warmer weather, getting a tent with plenty of mesh is a must. Of all the tents you listed, I'd rule out the Springbar 7 because of it's lack of side windows. However, they do have a new tent called the Colossus 10 that looks great. Unfortunately, the price is a bit steep. If you go canvas, I would say to look at the VX model Kodiaks

Lastly, I'll mention that an 8-person tent might get cramped with 5 people in it, even when three of 'em are young children. Since you seem to be considering quality and long-term, as your children grow, an 8 will get tighter and tighter.

Comment

The Kodiak 10x14 VX looks amazing but is on the $700+ side. My camping equipment budget is looking a little slim right now after buying a bunch of stuff for my son's upcoming cub scout camping trip. I had no idea that starting from zero would be so hard.

I may need to get a tent that will work for the time being and save up for something like the 10x14 VX. I found some decent reviews on the Wenzel Klondike 8 person tent and it looks like it will work for the time being and is significantly cheaper than the other nylon tents I initially found. The problem is that there are so many options out there for nylon tents that it gets a little overwhelming. The reviews were good for it and looks like it will work fine for a established camp site tent. The top is pretty open which will be great for the kids on the rain free nights. Nothing better than a little star gazing.

https://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-Klondi...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Comment

Look at the Eureka Timberline tents...they are a mainstay in the scouts. Buy two, one for the adults and one for the younglings.

Timberlines are pretty much bombproof.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I just got back from my first cub scout camping trip with my son
          was a great learning experience for myself and my son
          i generally camp alone so much of my gear was not appropriate
          first thing i did was borrow a big 6-8 person tent from my nieces
          for the scout trip learned it was way too big ,
          first of all it didnt fit on the platforms at the scout camp
          platforms are about 8x8
          good padding is a must on such platforms
          we spent very little time at the tent
          so am now looking for a more appropriate sized tent
          If you plan on doing scout trips
          at least 1 of your tents should be suited for such trips
          our camp site was about 1/2 mile walk from the car
          some of these scout camps are quite large
          something to consider if you plan on getting a heavy canvas tent for scout camping
          If you have any scout trips planned soon i would keep it basic for the trip and learn from that trip before making additional purchase

Comment

We gave up on canvas tents decades ago as they do require extra care to keep from rotting if damp, tend to retain odors due to their fabric composition, and weight twice as much as a poly/nylon tent. Canvas or synthetic, we don't go bigger than a 6-man due to their being larger than 10X10 in footprint. Instead, we bring additional small tents as necessary. Your inclusion of Big Agnes and REI brands show that you understand that a quality dual-wall tent is a better value. Similar brands like Mountain HardWear, Sierra Designs, NorthFace, and Marmot also offer a modern design with features for dry, comfortable camping under the stars. As mentioned above, the Kodiak and Springbar canvas models are available if you're willing to take a little more care of them, and treat them with CanVak as needed to retain water repellency.

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
              We gave up on canvas tents decades ago as they do require extra care to keep from rotting if damp, tend to retain odors due to their fabric composition, and weight twice as much as a poly/nylon tent.
              Dude quit applying your outdated "knowledge" of canvas tents to what Kodiak sells. You don't know what in the hell you are talking about when it comes to Kodiak tents. If you have so much time, knowledge and money, why don't you go buy a Kodiak and learn what you are talking about. You would think, being an educated person (like you claim to be) you would learm to know what you are talking about.
              And show me a tent, any tent that doesn't weigh more wet.
              And you seem seal your tents as well, so what's the difference between treating canvas vs nylon. By the way, my Kodiak is going on 6 years in the field, and I have never retreated it.
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Let's all bash TP on..1...2...3!

Comment

Hell... a canvas tent weighs a lot more than twice that of a nylon tent. Even my 10 x 10 is a beast to carry. Not exactly back breaking, but it's definitely not something you'd want to walk around with. So why buy it? In my mind, it's all about durability, the aforementioned insulating quality (a big plus for Winter camping!) and just the overall quality and details of the tent. As far as maintenance goes, isn't every product worth caring for worth doing what needs to be done? Yep. Gotta set it up or hang it up to dry before packing it up. OH THE HORROR OF IT ALL! It's not like you have to go through some exhaustive process like taking it a special dry cleaners and have a crew of workers detail it before you pack it up. So what's left that you don't have to do with any other tent? Waterproofing. All canvas tent manufacturers that I've seen or read about recommend soaking them down before taking 'em out. Well, I never even bothered doing it. Yes, I keep a tarp over it, but it's already seen sideways rain in a hellacious storm and I didn't have an issue with anything leaking.

Great tent. Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                    And you seem seal your tents as well, so what's the difference between treating canvas vs nylon. By the way, my Kodiak is going on 6 years in the field, and I have never retreated it.
                    my kodiak flexbow lasted 6 months before it was rotted beyond repair
                    i have since scrapped it and salvaged the floor which is now the roof to my current shelter
                    problem with kodiak, flexbow in particular, is when set up it is stretched, should never stretch canvas, as it opens the weaving, making it susceptible to water damage
                    a properly set up canvas tent should be draped, pulled slightly taught, not stretched

Comment

Y'all can have your canvas...I don't rely on my tent's "insulating properties" to keep warm! 900 fill down, that's the ticket!

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                        Y'all can have your canvas...I don't rely on my tent's "insulating properties" to keep warm! 900 fill down, that's the ticket!
                        If your body can take the shock of getting out of a bag when it's 40°, my hat's off to ya! I'm done with all that!

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                          i have since scrapped it and salvaged the floor which is now the roof to my current shelter
                          problem with kodiak, flexbow in particular, is when set up it is stretched, should never stretch canvas, as it opens the weaving, making it susceptible to water damage
                          a properly set up canvas tent should be draped, pulled slightly taught, not stretched
                          I haven't seen a review of the Kodiak canvas where it rotted out so fast. Was your tent defective or did it just not hold up to the weather? Just wanted to get your first-hand opinion of it.

Comment

I'm pretty much shock proof :-) Besides, my sleeping system includes warm clothing.

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                              cause you set it up and left it up all summer! You might mention that you used your tent as a cabin the only complaints abou failures of Kodiaks were you and the people that tried to live full time out of them. Let's see any tent stand up to use as a full time house.
                              Nights camped in 2019: 24
                              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Working...
                              X