Propane tank tip......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane tank tip......

We all know that a lot of campers like to use propane stoves and tabletop propane BBQ's.
    Firstly, try to avoid using the small green disposable cylinders, as in a lot of places they are classified as hazardous waste, and it costs to have them disposed of properly.
    Do as we do and take a standard BBQ tank along...yes it takes up more space, but it saves money in the long run and also you do your enviro part too. All you need is an adapter hose with can be found at most stores (Walmart, about $12)
    And take it one step further.....rather than take 2 tanks to run your stove and BBQ..(if your meal requires both together), get yourself a tank tee.
    This will allow you to run your stove and BBQ off the same tank.

Propane Tank Tip...

Howdy Ontariocamper,
    That's apretty good tip all the way around! I wish kinda that I had known about a propane tee before I purchased our second propane tank. But since I didn't, my bride always reminds me to make sure the tanks are topped off every time when we go camping. And we do camp more than most, usually twice a month but it is not out of the question that we may camp three weekends out of four in any given month. Back to your suggestion though, I would like to suggest that you discard or recycle your old steel propane tanks and do what we did: we went to composite fiberglass and you can even see the level of propane that is stored in each tank. The blue tank holds 3 1/2 lbs of propane and the yellow tank holds 11 lbs. propane. I thought the info on them was in my camping file but it will take me a little while to locate the place of purchase and the prices. But for the time being, here is a photo or two for adult show & tell. The blue tank is for our portable gas grill and the yellow tank is for our tent heater.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 03-30-2013, 05:18 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

That is good info. It cements my choice to stay with coleman liquid fuel verses the propane. I have seen some info pushing toward the propane. I like the liquid fuel though becuase it burns for at least two to three trips in the lanterns and stove before needing to be refilled and the gallon jug does not take a lot of room.

Comment

Yep, the real reason why we went propane is that you can not cook excellent gourmet foods and meals on a coleman stove. You can not regulate the high heat. With propane and an excellent portable propane stove you can simmer cook. It's impossible to scald the water for coffee. Our coffee is always expresso anyways and you can't rush good expresso. But to each his or her own, that is what making forum such a great place to share ideas and talk about camping. A good friend of mine quotes J.W. Geothe by say: "when ideas fails words come in very handy" by cracky.
        Adios for now...

Comment

I generally prefer propane for just a couple or few days of remote camping - it's much more efficient and easy to deal with - turn knob, light it and you're cooking! But I do now have a Dual Fuel stove, as it allows me to use gas from my bike if necessary. I don't do the gormet cooking like The Fox though.
          I do have a neat little flat Coleman propane two-burner that I used on our last big MC meet for helping with the big breakfast cooking. The little one-pound canister didn't last long though.
          They can be refilled though, but many jurisdictions make it illegal to transport them if refilled - they aren't considered 'safe'. :o
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Propane

Hmmm, Im not much of a chef either I had no idea there was much of a difference as far as cooking temps and such. I am generally cooking eggs, bacon and panckaes on my stove (in the morining with few problems) with the rest of my cooking taking place over the campfire in the evening. If I start cooking gourmet I will have to look at propane (thanks for the info vdf). Probably a topic for a new thread but do either of you do much cooking with dutch ovens?

Comment

Howdy,
              Here is where I purchased those two propane tanks:

The Blue TanK:

Item#: 400714
              Description: Trident Composite LPG Tank 2 1/2 gallon $104.99 at
              http://www.defender.com

The Yellow Tank:
              Item #: 3940-7455
              Description: 20-Pound Propane Clyinder $89.95
              http://www.rvsupplywarehouse

It took me awhile to shop the least expensive price and that is what I came up with. I am a devil when it comes to shopping on the net for the least expensive product but still get what I want. Sure we(bride & I) both have our own desktop computers, but I have been known to drop my bride off at the mall for shoes and handbags while I sit in the car on my laptop and shop for camping supplies(heehee!)!:rolleyes:

Comment

I have never used a Dutch Oven, though I have been eyeing the nifty black cast iron cookware at our local Sportsman's Warehouse.

Comment

Howdy BD,
                  So you decided to change the subject from propane tanks to dutch ovens. Go with your "bad" self! Every human being has a dark side and this might be yours "changing horses in mid-stream"(Bob Dylan).Heehee!:D Check out the thread in the Camping Receipe Section from me. Going "Dutch" is the best method for cooking anything, evenly! Sure it adds weigh to your gear and you camp with MC, but if you have a tow package for your bike then you'd be set. What is good for me, might not be what's good for everyone else. That is why we are here...to exchange ideas and chat about them. Thanks BigDog for being honest and sharing some concerns!

Comment

I'm always open to 'new ways' of doing things.

A riding buddy and I were in a local outdoor canoeing/kayaking store Saturday, during a ride. Heaven help me - we might be getting into kayaking.....
                    Found one that is stable and can take my "Larger than the average bear" self! So, that would give me a bit more 'cargo space'.

I have a nifty little flat Coleman two-burner propane stove that would be perfect for a kayak-trip. :cool: And maybe a couple cast iron pans too......

We will be doing a half-day rental tryout soon, to see if it is something we want to put money into. A 'bigdog-capable' 'yak ain't cheap!

Comment

Howdy BD
                      Go with your bad self!!!

Comment

Does anyone have any info or use the adapter to refill the 1 pound cylinders from a grill tank(20 pound)?? I seen them on ebay and was thinking of buying one

Comment

I have not but would love to know more about this if you get any info pm me.

Comment

If this is what you're looking for check out Cabela's.
                            Be careful...follow the directions exactly! Don't take short-cuts. Be careful!

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                              If this is what you're looking for check out Cabela's.
                              Be careful...follow the directions exactly! Don't take short-cuts. Be careful!
                              Yep! thats the one! I didnt think Cabela's would carry this because it is taking $ out of there pocket on tank sales. After reading all the reviews I will for sure be getting one of these. I think this is great for a few reasons
                              1. At $12 to refill a 20lb tank a refilled 1lb is costing well under $1 to reuse
                              2. I always felt guilty about throwing away the cylinders now I can recycle which is always a plus!

thanks for the link this product is for sure in my future!

Comment

Working...
                              X