2019 Camping Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Camping Goals

What are your camping goals for 2019? Do you have any epic trips planned? Any places you want to go?

Re: 2019 Camping Goals

looking to get more distance in my camping
    instead of park and camp, looking to do more miles in hikes to camp
    did a preliminary hike with my 8 yr old son to see what kind of mileage he can handle,
    he did great on a 5 mile hike

Comment

Would like to get farther away from roads, more often; take more short journeys farther from crowds, "civilization" and hassles...

I fear that age and changing circumstances are pushing me in the opposite direction though.

https://news.stanford.edu/2015/06/30...health-063015/
      "A Stanford-led study finds quantifiable evidence that walking in nature could lead to a lower risk of depression".

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

If I have a perfect year, I will.... yurt camp for the 1st time, visit 3 new WI state parks (Wildcat Mountain, Rock Island & Big Bay), design and build a tarp, visit 3 new MI state parks (Porcupine Mountains, Pictured Rocks, and Sleeping Bear Dunes), continue my once-a-month camping adventures for a 4th year, camp with my cat at least once, volunteer one weekend with the Ice Age Trail Alliance building trail and backpack camp one weekend.

Comment

Just moved back to FL from the Mid Atlantic. So the goal is to just do more. More car camping with friends and solo motorcycle camping. I don't want to go too far from home and don't really have to because there are so many nice places 1-4 hours from home. I did get a touring kayak and would like to try some camping with that. Seems like I can fit all the motorcycle camping gear in that. Only issue is water. I usually buy water when I get to my location when motorcycle camping. I also have to think about the hauling out ALL waste when kayak camping that I don't have to when motorcycle camping. People do it, so I know I can too.

Comment

Originally posted by RandiZ View Post
            Only issue is water. I usually buy water when I get to my location when motorcycle camping. I also have to think about the hauling out ALL waste when kayak camping that I don't have to when motorcycle camping. People do it, so I know I can too.
            Looks like a water filter is on your shopping list!

Comment

Not sure how it will work out yet for this year, but I'm working on a project to get outside more. I bought a motorcycle and am adding a sidecar to it so i can take my dog, and carry more gear. It will also help reduce the problems of stopping and holding the bike up if my injured hip or back give problems. I have family obligations far from my preferred locale off and on, but am planning visits to the west and southwest, Az being my objective for riding and camping, and plan to re-arrange life to spend winters there once my obligations elsewhere are done. Want to go exploring dirt roads and some overnights out in the Sedona/Verde Valley area in late winter or spring for starters.

Ara and his dog Spirit have been somewhat of an inspiration. He spent much of the past 10 years wintering near the Big Bend country, and riding the west on his motorcycle and sidecar in the summer. He posts some on various forums, and has a blog, http://theoasisofmysoul.com/ and has done a bunch of videos.

Two I like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov170xSx0L4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTxAjM9JaX4

Ara has retired from riding due to health issues, and Spirit passed last spring, sadly. Last blog post I saw, Ara was getting a new dog. I havent caught up to see how thats going.
              Last edited by Malamute; 01-13-2019, 08:16 AM.

Comment

At this point I am working on just getting out there. Ideally I would like to do more fishing.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

To camp every month, April through October and explore new places
                  Nights camped in 2019: 24
                  Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Definitely to camp MORE! Due to buying a house last summer and the closing that got rescheduled/delayed 5 or 6 times, we only camped once for two nights. Bah, it was miserable! Now that we are settled in at our new place, once snow melts and it gets warmer... it's ON!
                    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

I'm always in my "take more in less space" mode. So that's a goal that never ends. I figured a few things I can leave home, bought a new nylon tarp to replace the poly I usually take. Now the goal, like many others it seems, is to get out more. Home life, work and truck issues made me miss quite a few chances to get out in the last couple of months. Hopefully the crises are over and I'll be able to actually load up and go!

Comment

Started "shopping" the VT State Parks page the other day to scope out parks and sites for this summer. I'd like to hit the ones we haven't been to yet, but honestly, that isn't too many. Might be revisiting some of our favorites. We really loved the group camping area at Sebago Lake, ME with the private beach so might have to plan another trip up there. Also have been considering some of the VT Parks that are not right on water, but have swimming nearby. It would be a little different to drive to water instead of just walking, but I'd love to take the girls to one of the mountain-side leantos at Coolidge State Park, waking up to this view is pretty spectacular:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	aspen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	71123

Lots of house projects to work on this summer too, though, so hopefully we can jam in a few trips in state then once we have been to all the VT Parks we want, branch out to neighboring states in the following years.
                        Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
                          Started "shopping" the VT State Parks page the other day to scope out parks and sites for this summer. I'd like to hit the ones we haven't been to yet...
                          If I can get an early day from work on Friday, that's my intention, too. Been camping at the same state forest for years and have probably stayed at just over a dozen of the roughly one hundred sites there. So hopefully I'll be on a solo trip this weekend, taking notes and pictures so the gang can get a bit of a change of pace when we're all out together.

Comment

I try to do at least one new campground per year. Not sure about this year's choice yet. Keep looking but nothing is standing out. Our state parks don't let dogs on the trails, so that cuts out a lot of places. Not worth going if we can't hike. And no, walking a fire road isn't the same as hiking a trail.

This year I am on hold until May to make plans - have an appt to make evil work go away. If that goes through as planned, then I'll be taking two week trips more frequently. Then I'll start doing some traveling. I will have to get the bird his passport so he can go to Canada with me - and get back into the U.S.

In prep for all that, I am getting my FnR's power cord converted into a detachable one. No more trying to shove it back in a little hole. And then some fine tuning of gear.
                            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I want to make a wood burning stove for inside my tent an modify my tent to add a roof jack for the flew pipe.
                              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X