Marmot lost my tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marmot lost my tent

This summer I purchased a Limestone 4 and loved it. We only used it a few time this summer and twice we noticed droplets of water on the floor. The first time it had rained hard and we thought the water was off our clothes. The second time conditions were dry and the was a 4” square that had droplets of water. The fact it was perfectly square seemed odd so I called Marmot and they gave me a repair number and we sent it in.

I received a call from Marmot repair that they found the leak, repaired it and was returning it. All was good. Marmot repair was great calling me and finding the problem and making the repair.

I was emailed a tracking number and then delivery date came and no tent. I checked the tracking and it was delivered to Brooklyn, NY. I called FedEx and they said it was not my name on the shipment. I had FedEx check and they said they had no shipments to me or my address. I called Marmot and was told the guy who ships was at lunch and would call me back. Well no call. No one will speak with me and no answer to my emails.

I know mistakes happen and I hope they are trying to find where my tent went but an update would be nice.

I keep hoping the tent will appear.

Re: Marmot lost my tent

I have very little faith in customer service anymore and this is a prime example of why. It's a damn shame when a respected big hitter in the industry pulls this kind of crap. If they keep up with the silent treatment, I see a lawyer and a $50 million emotional distress lawsuit coming. And I say that almost not joking - nothing like grabbing their attention by threatening their bottom line. People need to stop accepting anything less than quality products and services.

Comment

When something like this happens, I follow a simple rule:

2 business days allowed for a response.

If I don't hear from them by the end of the 2nd business day, I call the next business day and request the next level up.
      I remain polite, understanding, etc., but I don't allow it to be ignored. When I call back, I simply say "I was forwarded to X, they did not return my call. I would like to speak to the next level up to find out what is going on".

It has worked well for me. Sometimes, the second call will result in "oh, I'm sorry, he's on vacation for the week" or "my apologies, I was out sick". But they end up very willing to help me resolve the issue. I suspect it's because when they hear my messages, they realize they can't blow me off as a problem customer.

I worked retail for years, so I have learned what gets results and what gets blown off. In the store, a loud and belligerent person gets dealt with quickly. On the phone, they get passed to everyone in the office and no one does anything.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
        This summer I purchased a Limestone 4 and loved it. We only used it a few time this summer and twice we noticed droplets of water on the floor. The first time it had rained hard and we thought the water was off our clothes. The second time conditions were dry and the was a 4” square that had droplets of water. The fact it was perfectly square seemed odd so I called Marmot and they gave me a repair number and we sent it in.

I received a call from Marmot repair that they found the leak, repaired it and was returning it. All was good. Marmot repair was great calling me and finding the problem and making the repair.

I was emailed a tracking number and then delivery date came and no tent. I checked the tracking and it was delivered to Brooklyn, NY. I called FedEx and they said it was not my name on the shipment. I had FedEx check and they said they had no shipments to me or my address. I called Marmot and was told the guy who ships was at lunch and would call me back. Well no call. No one will speak with me and no answer to my emails.

I know mistakes happen and I hope they are trying to find where my tent went but an update would be nice.

I keep hoping the tent will appear.

***Update***

I just got someone willing to help me at Marmot. She said the tent has been rerouted and it will be here on Monday. She wouldn’t give me a tracking number. I will post the outcome.

Comment

Good luck!!!!

I'm sure it will get to you. They don't want to be responsible for a shipping error - that looks bad.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I've been following this thread to learn the resolution. Whew. It's not like Marmot service/warranty to be unresponsive to your inquiry. I'm guessing they didn't exactly know what happened. But they should have told you right away they were researching the issue and would follow up (then actually do so).

I figured your tent would be located. I've tracked shipments that missed my expected delivery date only to find my package "overshot" my state and is now four states past. If your tent doesn't arrive/is lost, then Marmot will ship you a new Limestone 4. That's about the only two courses of action for them: find/send your repaired tent to you or......send a new tent to you. Ultimately they'll make it right as you had no part in their shipping error.

Hopefully your tent appears on Monday.
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

...Hope it all works out!
              I have had many things not reach me (never dealt with Marmot); the issues have usually been resolved well.

Enjoy!
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

***Update***

I just got someone willing to help me at Marmot. She said the tent has been rerouted and it will be here on Monday. She wouldn’t give me a tracking number. I will post the outcome.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

The tent is here!:yipi: According to the shipping label it was in Brooklyn, New York. I wish the person would’ve said “ Yes, there was a shipping error, your tent was delivered to the wrong location. We located it and it will be delivered to you on Monday. Here is the tracking number so that you see that it’s coming.”

The tent was sent stuffed and not rolled. I know there are different thoughts on this. I was always taught to fold the tent so that it ended up in a strip as wide as the tent poles are long if that makes sense. Then roll the tent around the poles. Just don’t fold it in the same place every time. Doing it this way I have never had a problem getting the tent back into the bag and there’s usually extra room for the ground cloth. Now I’m curious. How do you guys pack your tents. Do you fold and roll or do you stuff the tent into the bag?
                  Last edited by Denni2; 02-26-2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Stuff
                    Nights camped in 2019: 24
                    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Canvas = Roll
                      Nylon = Stuff

Comment

You're going to get a split decision on this one (similar to the drain or not drain cooler water topic) as I'm sure we each have our own methods.

I'm a Fold and Roll. I don't worry about repeatedly folding on the same spot as I randomly fold the tent different each time. This method isn't on purpose...more of a not remembering thing (and not having a consistent way of folding/rolling means I am always hunting for the "front" of the tent every time I unroll it and set it up----sigh).

The only thing I worry about in the "stuff" method is the possibility of a zipper catching/damaging the mesh as the tent is stuffed into the sack.
                        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Glad you got your tent back! congrats...
                          I understand the "stuff" thinking (repetitive creases increase wear at the creases and therefor the chances of leaks.
                          However I roll/fold my tents and tarps as it is the only way they will fit in their carry bags (heavy material does not stuff well, for me).

Enjoy!
                          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Fold and roll. In fact a65hoosier and I are on the same page with this.
                            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                            – E. B. White

Comment

Do you fold and roll or do you stuff the tent into the bag?
                              I thought I recognized that nick from somewhere. You're on OBC, too! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X