Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
    That's what hitch mounted racks are for. :mdr:
    Bring it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170729_155045.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	70997
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Re: Homemade Chuck Box from Ammo Can

Hmmm, I made this one...stackables for ease of transport.

Name:	DSC00178.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	71003 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00174.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	71004

Of course... I only use this for car camping. Can't imagine packing this further than 100 feet :ouch:.

Comment

Charley, That is a beautiful set up! When I started using chuck boxes, I had made them too big and then too small. I found in most cases, I was using my smaller one more and more as the manufactured camp-cooking equipment got smaller. I now have mess kits / chuck boxes that are custom for each type of situation. Just recently, I used a butane packable stove and a German Mess Kit to make meals in a two man Ice Shanty while ice fishing. not a lot of room in there. I'm now considering my next mess kit that I will make just for ice fishing. Small, light, water proof, etc..... should be a fun project. I already have the picture in my head.

Comment

...I tend to keep trying different things; used a missile container for years. Now I have most of the cooking related items in a medui/large suitcase sized plastic case from Harbor freight (the one with 4 latches, 4800 series I believe)..
          looks like they come in colors now.
          https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=apache%20case

It often seems like I am loosing ground however...

... the search for perfection is never finished...

Enjoy!
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
            Now I have most of the cooking related items in a medui/large suitcase sized plastic case from Harbor freight (the one with 4 latches, 4800 series I believe)..
            looks like they come in colors now.
            Like I said a few posts back, I got tired of gear changes making my chuck boxes obsolete. For me, cases is IT! Kitchen and food is on the bottom left.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              Like I said a few posts back, I got tired of gear changes making my chuck boxes obsolete. For me, cases is IT! Kitchen and food is on the bottom left.

That's how I felt about my camera gear. I tried to keep it in one bag, but every time I had a gear change it didn't fit anymore.

So now, I have three separate bags. One holds one body and two lenses; the second holds one body and two lenses,; and the third will hold the infrared and all but one lens. With the last, I carry one body and lens by hand so I have most of what I need. Can't quite manage the tripod with it...
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

This was our set up before we got the Zion SRT.

Name:	832048B2-3B1D-4B21-AB3B-E9FBA7F87A7F.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	71248

Comment

Thanks man! continue creating these kinds of content as it helps beginner camper or those who need to improvise.

Comment

Working...
                  X